HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Charlie Crist: "In l...

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 01:49 AM

Charlie Crist: "In life, hopefully all of us continue to evolve and become wiser"

He has recently denounced several positions he had before.

Who is the real Charlie Crist?

"With more experience, more time, more reading, more study, people reach conclusions that may not be in lockstep with what they thought when they were 15 or 25 or 35 years old."

Among the stands he now thinks were wrong:

Calling for former President Bill Clinton's resignation during the Monica Lewinsky scandal in 1998 while running against U.S. Sen. Bob Graham.

Seeking a major expansion of private school tuition vouchers and joining a Republican attack on the teachers union while he was education commissioner in 2001.

Signing the Grover Norquist anti-tax pledge in 2009 while running in a U.S. Senate primary against Marco Rubio.

Another article points out that he did not receive an especially warm welcome after his speech at the DNC. It also points to a very recent poll by the St. Pete Polls showing how much he leads in the governor's race in 2014.

The first Florida-based poll conducted since the close of the Democratic National Convention shows former governor Charlie Crist lapping the prospective field of Democratic candidates eyeing the 2014 gubernatorial race.

Crist is the top choice of 61% of likely Democratic voters, followed by former Chief Financial Officer Alex Sink with 25% support. Orlando mayor Buddy Dyer comes in at 7%, state Senator Nan Rich at 3.5% and Florida Democratic Party chair Rod Smith at 3.4%.

Sen. Rich is the only candidate officially running for governor. Dyer and Sink have said they will make a decision about whether to run after the presidential election. Crist has drawn extensive speculation that he intends to run for governor as a Democrat in 2014.

These new poll numbers will certainly intensify the speculation.

Poll of 2014 Democratic primary: Charlie Crist 61%, Alex Sink 25%

6 replies, 657 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Charlie Crist: "In life, hopefully all of us continue to evolve and become wiser" (Original post)
madfloridian Dec 2012 OP
Riftaxe Dec 2012 #1
graham4anything Dec 2012 #2
madfloridian Dec 2012 #3
graham4anything Dec 2012 #5
madfloridian Dec 2012 #6
patricia92243 Dec 2012 #4

Response to madfloridian (Original post)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 02:06 AM

1. and electorates change over time

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 02:23 AM

2. in Crist I trust. To turn the Florida Gov. back to blue

the past is irrelevant moving Forward is important

Scott or Crist

Sink sunk the dems last time.
Rubio won because of the no possible way Meek could have so it split.

Who would you rather have Scott or Crist?
that is the only thing that matters

Who would you rather have controlling the state and election of 2016 when Hillary runs vs. Jeb?

Scott or Crist?

Do you want Bush to have a way to do what happened in 2000 happen in 2016?

And most telling is-
who is leading the dissent of Charlie Crist nationwide?
It's the republicans knowing how easy it will be for Demcrats to win Florida again with Crist
so they are leading the charge

that says it all.

Democrats themselves should be happy there is a chance

Sink Sunk(same like Martha Coaxley gave Scott the opening in MA).

The sole objective is to win. There is no one else 1/2 as popular who is running (as Bob Graham is not running again, though I wish he would)

In Crist I trust. To turn the Florida Gov. back to blue.

there is not one other person in Florida as popular as Charlie Crist except for maybe Mickey Mouse, and well, Mickey Mouse is not a person.((c) g4a 2004 except I had BG's name instead of CC's back then)

Reply to this post

Response to graham4anything (Reply #2)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 02:26 AM

3. Sink and hubby Bill McBride both had great chances to win.

They did the old centrist theme campaign in which you stand for very little.

Frustrating.

Reply to this post

Response to madfloridian (Reply #3)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 03:29 AM

5. could have should have would have didn't

one can whine about everything for decades/life, the only thing that matters is winning

because you know what you get when you lose- NOTHING at all.

Was Bob Graham the only winner in Florida the last 3 decades? I get frustrated he did not go further, but I don't whine about it. I move on and hope the democrat wins

because there is a difference.

Hillary and Charlie Crist are loved in Florida and I don't want Sink or anyone else not having a chance to run on what will lose.

Especially if Jeb is running in 2016, it will be a state race run with heavy backing by the repubs knowing they need to keep the seat for the repubs

Seems like everyone keeps forgetting things while having idealistic thoughts, is that the only thing that matters is winning. Ideals are great, but it don't win ballgames.

Which is why Jeb did not really care what type of repub he stocked the lower offices with, only that they won, to secure the power needed nationally to ram things through.

It is the big picture that allows the smaller social issues to get passed.
But to get those social issues through, you have to win. A loser has no power.

And Charlie is himself, and as much as was possible while he had power to keep in power was great on social issues (again when it was possible.)

His spitting at Jeb during the Schiavo fiasco is all I needed to see to win my backing.(but there was so much more).

Reply to this post

Response to graham4anything (Reply #5)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 09:13 PM

6. Very good post.

Unfortunately so many minds are made up already about Crist and also about education.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 03:27 AM

4. Is he not the one the Republicans threw out of the party because he huged Obama?

If that is the case, he didn't evolve - he is just looking out for his own political skin.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread