HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Stephen Colbert nails it....
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:37 PM

Stephen Colbert nails it....

4 replies, 1164 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Playinghardball (Original post)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:50 PM

1. I had always been fuzzy about this point in Christianity

I asked every Christian that I knew and very few would either approach the subject or be able to answer it.

But I did some research and Jesus clearly accepted the Old Testament and told his followers to...well...follow it. I'm not a Christian, I'm an Asatruar, as a matter of fact, but it always boggled me. He was all about peace and love and so forth, but he was also a Rabbi, and apparently was all about the Old Testament as well and this bit of unpleasantness concerning homosexuals.

So...yeah. Draw from that what you like, I guess.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 10:32 PM

2. Jesus has the same to say about abortion, tax cuts, guns, financial regulations, etc, etc...

But he did have a lot to say about helping the poor & the downtrodden.

Reply to this post

Response to baldguy (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 11:07 PM

4. Wait just a minute. Didnt Jesus say that we were to give all our money to the rich so they

and trickle on us? I am sure Pat Robertson said that.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 10:38 PM

3. It is hard for me to imagine Jesus going against traditional Jewish thinking at the time on this...

subject. From what I know it was universally condemned in Israel. Jesus would have had a much more difficult time attracting followers if he believed that homosexuality was ok.

Not to say the I believe in the bible or think that his beliefs 2000 years ago have much relevance today on the subject.

I admit I could be totally wrong. Besides, it would be more appropriate to call Christianity: Paulism.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread