HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The private sector can do...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 07:26 PM

The private sector can do what government cannot!

Photo: A dog sniffs at the whale carcass on Malibu's Little Dume beach. Credit: Wally Skalij / Los Angeles Times

Malibu residents move whale carcass, ignoring red tape
December 10, 2012 | 7:30 am
-- Jason Felch

In the end, Malibu residents took matters into their own hands.

For days, a whale was left decaying -- and smelling -- on a Malibu beach as government officials debated what to do.

On Saturday night, the rotting carcass of a 40-foot fin whale was quietly pulled out to sea by a private tugboat hired by Malibu residents who were tired of its stench.

After days of official bickering over whose responsibility it was to deal with the landlocked leviathan, a local homeowners association stepped in, according to Fire Inspector Brian Riley.

Members hired a private company to bring a tugboat to remove what was left of the 40,000-pound whale, which had washed ashore last Monday, already dead. The whale had suffered a wound to the back, perhaps the result of a collision with a boat.

More: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/12/malibu-residents-move-whale-carcass-ignoring-red-tape.html

If only the people of La Jolla (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/25/us/california-cove-blessed-with-natures-beauty-reels-from-its-stench.html) were as pro-active as the citizens of Malibu! Where's Mitt Romney when you need him? C'mon Mitt, get out there and scrub that bird poop and force those seals off the beaches! Government didn't do that, Mitt Romney and his friends did! Yay private sector!

Now if only we could get them to pay their fair share of taxes!

4 replies, 526 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply The private sector can do what government cannot! (Original post)
ellisonz Dec 2012 OP
Cleita Dec 2012 #1
ellisonz Dec 2012 #4
pinboy3niner Dec 2012 #2
ellisonz Dec 2012 #3

Response to ellisonz (Original post)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 07:38 PM

1. I'm sure the very wealthy residents of Malibu can afford that.

Years of budget cutting for city and county services because no one, especially the wealthy, want to pay taxes for these services seemed to have yielded the result.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Cleita (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:05 PM

4. And I applaud our wealthy friends in their can do attitude...

...now if they would get to work funding that bullet train!

I want to know what it feels like to cruise through the San Gabriel mountains en route to San Francisco at a high speed!

Reply to this post

Response to ellisonz (Original post)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 07:42 PM

2. At least it turned out better than the Great Oregon Whale Incident...

Reply to this post

Response to pinboy3niner (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 07:49 PM

3. They were lucky

I'm not quite sure what they would have done if it fell apart as they were dragging it off the beach - they probably would have had to try burning it!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread