HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Drone strikes versus trad...

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 02:41 PM

Drone strikes versus traditional warfare

I got to say I like the new way of operating with drone strikes instead of massive military invasions ,occupations ,bombing campaigns , Torture, etc.

It seems like our past military operations were kind of like throwing a cast net into the ocean and grabbing everything you could and then killing it , hoping that you got your targeted fish in there somewhere

Drone strikes seem to be more like baiting a single hook and tossing it out and catching your targeted fish

I understand that innocent people get killed using both methods , That is not my argument

If I were forced to choose one way or the other , drone strikes is a no-brainer

13 replies, 676 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply Drone strikes versus traditional warfare (Original post)
Mangoman Dec 2012 OP
atreides1 Dec 2012 #1
Mangoman Dec 2012 #3
Fumesucker Dec 2012 #2
Mangoman Dec 2012 #4
Fumesucker Dec 2012 #5
Mangoman Dec 2012 #7
Fumesucker Dec 2012 #11
1-Old-Man Dec 2012 #6
sagat Dec 2012 #9
Mangoman Dec 2012 #10
Tierra_y_Libertad Dec 2012 #8
quaker bill Dec 2012 #12
tabasco Dec 2012 #13

Response to Mangoman (Original post)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 02:53 PM

1. You do understand why war isn't a favorite past time?

Because it's dirty, bloody, and people come back in boxes or with pieces missing!

You do realize that US forces are using drones to attack villages on the Afghan-Pakistani border, killing women and children...casting that net you talk about...contrary to popular belief, there is nothing smart about smart bombs or drones!!!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to atreides1 (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 04:03 PM

3. Are you implying

That running hundreds of sorties off an aircraft carrier in a bombing campaign would be better than sending a drone over with a couple hellfire's ?

What is your point ?

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 02:58 PM

2. We haven't yet seen the blowback from drone strikes

Given the magnitude of some previous episodes of blowback that from the drone strikes should be interesting in the old Chinese curse sense.

Reply to this post

Response to Fumesucker (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 04:06 PM

4. I guess I'm also missing your point

I really don't think that people that die from our bombs care if it came from a F-16 or a drone
their loved ones are dead all the same

Would it make a difference to you if your loved one was killed by a bomb dropped by a plane with a man in it or a plane without a man in it ?
I would imagine the anger and blowback would be the same either way

Reply to this post

Response to Mangoman (Reply #4)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 04:21 PM

5. The difference between an F16 and a drone is that you can't build an F16 in your basement

There's thousands of guys (almost exclusively guys) building drones in their little spaces all over the world, the technology to do so has become trivial to the point of being used in toys.

Some of them are doing things like the video below, some others may have less artistic and benign pursuits in mind.

Reply to this post

Response to Fumesucker (Reply #5)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 04:35 PM

7. So ....

Your point is somebody overseas will be more upset if their loved one dies from a drone strike then an F-16 strike for the simple reason that drones can be made in somebody's basement

That sounds insane , why would some guy in Pakistan that just lost his wife be more angry about her death because a drone can be built in a basement and an F-16 can't

I am simply wondering why you think the blowback would be different if a drone killed your wife instead of an F-16 ?

Reply to this post

Response to Mangoman (Reply #7)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 05:17 PM

11. My point is that drone technology is all but ubiquitous now

Do I really need to walk you through the implications of that in respect of using drones to kill or create terror?

Look at the damage nineteen guys with box cutters and an imaginative plan did to our society, granted much of the damage was self inflicted but those guys got that ball rolling with a vengeance.

We are used to these sorts of weapons systems being so expensive only a government would have the funds to build something like an armed drone, that is no longer the case and the situation is only going to get more complicated as the technology advances on nearly a daily basis.

GPS waypoint navigation for self piloting robotic drones is accomplished fact in hobbyist gear you can buy from China on Ebay. The first private robotic drone to cross the Atlantic ocean using such technology was going on fifteen years ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRIUS-ALL-IN-ONE-PRO-v1-0-Multi-Rotor-Flight-Controller-Multiwii-Megapirate-/300800517315?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46091ba4c3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crius-CN-06-GPS-Receiver-v2-0-Module-ge-/280995292661?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416c9fe5f5

http://www.barnardmicrosystems.com/L4E_atlantic_crossing_I.htm

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 04:29 PM

6. Say what you will in favor of drones, they are still the very icon of cowardice.

remote killing ....

Reply to this post

Response to 1-Old-Man (Reply #6)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 04:36 PM

9. Who cares? They get the job done.

Reply to this post

Response to 1-Old-Man (Reply #6)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 04:38 PM

10. Really ?

So when Bush and Cheney sent drones to kill people they were cowards ?
but in order to not be a coward all they had to do was send a plane with a man in it and they would no longer be cowards ?

I guess I don't understand that view

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 04:36 PM

8. How does on get "forced" into murdering people?

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 06:29 PM

12. Debating relative morality for the means and methods of killing

is a losing proposition, no matter how well you do it. I have no greater problem with drones than I have with tanks or F-16s. I would much prefer we not use any of them.

The whole point of our increasingly advanced weapons systems is to make it more and more sure that we will kill them, and that they have less and less chance of shooting back. If bravery is giving the other side a fair chance to shoot back, we blew past that a very long time ago, quite intentionally, and at great expense. The reason stealth aircraft look like a flock of pidgeons on radar is no accident, neither is the fact that they often carry radar homing missles to be really sure. Drones are just a small step past invisible aircraft, and alot cheaper.

We have no interest in giving the other side "a fighting chance". I am more or less OK with this because it makes it somewhat less likely the other side will suit up. What makes it not OK is occasionally we will elect someone who will use the stuff simply because we have it.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 06:39 PM

13. Drones are more accurate than artillery

Are people who condemn drones aware that they reduce collateral damage and casualties?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread