HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » "Education expert&qu...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 08:07 AM

"Education expert" Grover Whitehurst's big pay day for testifying class size doesn't matter

The State of Texas is being sued for inadequate school funding; with over $5 billion cut from school budgets last year alone, leading to unprecedented increases in class sizes. About two-thirds of the school districts in Texas — serving three-quarters of the state’s public school students — are plaintiffs. What’s particularly tragic is that Texas was the first state in the country to systematically reduce in class size: in 1984, then Gov. Mark White pushed through legislation limiting classes to 22 in grades K-4th, following the recommendations of the Perot Commission.

The first witness called for the state’s defense on Friday was Grover Whitehurst, Senior Fellow at the Brookings Institute and a former Asst. Secretary of Education under George W. Bush. With Matt Chingos, the popular go-to researcher for the corporate reform crowd, Whitehurst wrote a sketchy report for Brookings in 2011, arguing that lowering class size was a waste of money... As the lead off witness for the state on Friday Whitehurst argued that contrary to the claims of the plaintiffs, “Texas is doing pretty good” and that these huge budget cuts were immaterial because class size doesn’t matter...

In later testimony, he said he was being paid $340 an hour by the state to testify in the case, and had already racked up 220 billable hours – for just under $75,000 – before he took the witness stand....

http://nycpublicschoolparents.blogspot.com/2012/12/grover-whitehursts-big-pay-day.html

Bill Gates says class size doesn't matter as well...for other people's kids.

He sends his own kids to classrooms that have about 15.

5 replies, 663 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply "Education expert" Grover Whitehurst's big pay day for testifying class size doesn't matter (Original post)
HiPointDem Dec 2012 OP
gollygee Dec 2012 #1
My Good Babushka Dec 2012 #2
spartan61 Dec 2012 #3
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #5
hobbit709 Dec 2012 #4

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 08:10 AM

1. You're on a roll today

I'm in 100% agreement here too. K&R

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 08:36 AM

2. Yeah, until there is lice.

My son's kindergarten has 41 kids per classroom. Their coats are all hanging in the hallway, touching each other, and now there is an outbreak of lice in one of the classrooms. It's going to spread down the hallway like oil down a wick.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:52 AM

3. CLASS SIZE DOESN'T MATTER??????

Until this no nothing jerk has taught in a classroom of 6 and 7 year olds, he is talking out of his rear end. I have taught 1st and 2nd graders for 32 years beginning reading, math, writing, etc. in large and small class sizes, and believe me, CLASS SIZE DOES MATTER! Some children need more one on one than others, so where is the chance to do this with large classes? My most ideal class size is 18 or 19 children in a classroom. That way I am able to get to really know the children and their strengths and weaknesses and prepare them for the next grade level. There is also time for "teachable moments," which is something those "suits" know nothing about. What they only know is teaching to the standardized tests.

Reply to this post

Response to spartan61 (Reply #3)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 04:15 PM

5. it doesn't matter for the proles, according to many studies funded by bill gates. it apparently

only matters for the children of bill gates (who attend classes averaging 15) & people like him.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:56 AM

4. Another Grover?

One ripoff Grover is 3 too many.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread