HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Unknown Al Waser nabbing ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 01:14 AM

Unknown Al Waser nabbing a Grammy nomination is a study in how to work within the system

Win one for the little guy.

Though this is entertainment, the way he did it using the system at hand to score an amazing Grammy nomination over much bigger acts is a good study in how to breakthrough using the system in place(as unfair as it is to an unknown as in real life these days).
(note- I never heard of him myself til the Grammy noms were announced.)

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/genre/dance/how-did-al-walser-score-a-grammy-nomination-1008043332.story
Al Walser is a Grammy nominee. And it's because of social media.

The Lichtenstein native and near-total unknown - to the public, at least - submitted his self-produced and self-released track, "I Can't Live Without You" (above video at link), through the same nomination process as Skrillex, Swedish House Mafia, Calvin Harris, and Avicii, his fellow nominees in the "Best Dance Recording" category. But rather than passively wait to let the process take its course, he did as many movie studios do come Oscar time: He lobbied, in this case, on closed NARAS social network Grammy365.com - a tactic successfully used by little-known singer Linda Chorney last year.

snip to bottom paragrah

Grammy365 was launched in March 2010 as a means of connecting NARAS' 18,000-plus members, and adding value to their membership. "NARAS came to us with a request: Could we use web technology to create a destination where the world's best musicians, songwriters, producers, music students and industry pros can meet and grow their careers?" says a post on the website of The New Group, the Seattle-based digital agency that developed the site. It seems that Walser did just that.

Read more at http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/genre/dance/how-did-al-walser-score-a-grammy-nomination-1008043332.story#zSY0XvqtoWFBsZ2d.99

1 replies, 902 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Unknown Al Waser nabbing a Grammy nomination is a study in how to work within the system (Original post)
graham4anything Dec 2012 OP
lunasun Feb 2013 #1

Response to graham4anything (Original post)

Sun Feb 10, 2013, 10:03 PM

1. Skrillex won - I was rooting for Clavin Harris but Skrillex was better than someone unknown

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread