HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Turning urine into brain ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 09:48 PM

Turning urine into brain cells could help fight Alzheimerís, Parkinsonís

Chinese researchers have devised a new technique for reprogramming cells from human urine into immature brain cells that can form multiple types of functioning neurons and glial cells. The technique, published today in the journal Nature Methods, could prove useful for studying the cellular mechanisms of neurodegenerative conditions such as Alzheimerís and Parkinsonís and for testing the effects of new drugs that are being developed to treat them.

Stem cells offer the hope of treating these debilitating diseases, but obtaining them from human embryos poses an ethical dilemma. We now know that cells taken from the adult human body can be made to revert to a stem cell-like state and then transformed into virtually any other type of cell. This typically involves using genetically engineered viruses that shuttle control genes into the nucleus and inserts them into the chromosomes, whereupon they activate genes that make them pluripotent, or able to re-differentiate into another type of cell.

In 2008, for example, American researchers took skin cells from an 82-year-old patient with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and reprogrammed them into motor neurons. Cells obtained in this way could help us gain a better understanding of such diseases. Grafts of patientsí own cells do not elicit an immune response, so this approach may eventually lead to effective cell transplantation therapies. But it also has its problems Ė it appears that the reprogramming process destabilizes the genome and causes mutations, and that iPSCs may therefore harbour genetic defects that render them useless.

Last year, Duanqing Pei of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and his colleagues reported that human urine contains skin-like cells from the lining of the kidney tubules which can be efficiently reprogrammed, via the pluripotent state, into neurons, glia, liver cells and heart muscle cells. Now they have improved on the approach, making it quicker, more efficient and possibly less prone to errors.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/12/09/turning-urine-into-brain-cells-could-help-fight-alzheimers-parkinsons/

I say piss on it...

7 replies, 866 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Turning urine into brain cells could help fight Alzheimerís, Parkinsonís (Original post)
Playinghardball Dec 2012 OP
PD Turk Dec 2012 #1
RKP5637 Dec 2012 #2
iemitsu Dec 2012 #3
lastlib Dec 2012 #4
customerserviceguy Dec 2012 #5
pinboy3niner Dec 2012 #6
Mnemosyne Dec 2012 #7

Response to Playinghardball (Original post)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 09:51 PM

1. Hmmm....

I've hear the term "shit for brains" all my life but I gotta admit, this is a new one on me

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 09:53 PM

2. Very Interesting!!!

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 09:58 PM

3. Fascinating, making brain cells out of pee.

Its almost as cool as making gold out of sea water.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 10:00 PM

4. We really don't need to do this....

...Republicans already have shit for brains.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 10:37 PM

5. Piss poor thinking? n/t

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 10:40 PM

6. A prime example of yellow journalism

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 10:51 PM

7. Hey, urine trouble now! nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread