HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Supreme Court to hear &qu...

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 11:59 AM

Supreme Court to hear "pay-for-delay" drug case. Sickening to even hear this.

(Reuters) - The Supreme Court agreed on Friday to decide whether brand-name drug companies may pay money to generic drug rivals to keep their lower-priced products off the market, a practice estimated to cost consumers and the government billions of dollars each year.

The arrangements, known as "pay-for-delay" or "reverse payments," have for more than a decade vexed antitrust enforcers, including the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), which have been stung until recently by a series of court decisions allowing such practices.

In a typical case, a generic rival challenges the patent of a brand-name competitor, which then pays the rival a sum of money to drop its challenge. Defenders of the practice call it a legitimate means to resolve patent litigation.

The court accepted an appeal by the FTC, which had challenged annual payments of $31 million to $42 million by Solvay Pharmaceuticals Inc, now owned by Abbott Laboratories, to stop generic versions of AndroGel, a treatment for the underproduction of testosterone, until 2015.

More at http://www.reuters.com//article/2012/12/07/us-usa-court-drugs-payfordelay-idUSBRE8B617T20121207

Capitalism at its finest. Screwing people and their government all at the same time.

4 replies, 700 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Supreme Court to hear "pay-for-delay" drug case. Sickening to even hear this. (Original post)
Whovian Dec 2012 OP
riverbendviewgal Dec 2012 #1
LancetChick Dec 2012 #2
Whovian Dec 2012 #3
riverbendviewgal Dec 2012 #4

Response to Whovian (Original post)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 12:21 PM

1. i am thankful to live

In my country that negotiates the pharmaceuticals for the lowest drug prices. In America health care is for profit commodity not a human right. This is not a sign of a great country.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to riverbendviewgal (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 12:35 PM

2. You are so right.

I get one type of insulin from a Canadian pharmacy for half what it costs in this country, despite the fact that it's MADE here, and I get another type of American-made insulin from Turkey. Imagine that. Insulin that is made here and sent to and processed in foreign lands far away for much less money than insulin which is sent directly to local pharmacies.

Reply to this post

Response to riverbendviewgal (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 12:47 PM

3. My Grandmother was from Montreal.

Would that give me a chance back in?

Reply to this post

Response to Whovian (Reply #3)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 02:57 PM

4. I don't think so but

you should check with the Canadian government Good luck.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread