HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Four States Are Responsib...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 02:55 AM

Four States Are Responsible For ONE FOURTH Of America's Uninsured. Is Yours One Of Them?

They also happen to be fighting Obamacare. And have governors from one specific party. Guess which.

http://www.upworthy.com/four-states-are-responsible-for-one-fourth-of-americas-uninsured-is-yours-one-of?c=bl3

69 replies, 8710 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 69 replies Author Time Post
Reply Four States Are Responsible For ONE FOURTH Of America's Uninsured. Is Yours One Of Them? (Original post)
Whovian Dec 2012 OP
cantbeserious Dec 2012 #1
jmowreader Dec 2012 #6
cantbeserious Dec 2012 #7
Jack Rabbit Dec 2012 #29
Whovian Dec 2012 #33
jmowreader Dec 2012 #43
raccoon Dec 2012 #35
JimDandy Dec 2012 #44
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #58
jmowreader Dec 2012 #59
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #60
dchill Dec 2012 #2
sakabatou Dec 2012 #3
muriel_volestrangler Dec 2012 #24
kestrel91316 Dec 2012 #32
sakabatou Dec 2012 #37
JaneyVee Dec 2012 #41
muriel_volestrangler Dec 2012 #42
Make7 Dec 2012 #55
AnneD Dec 2012 #4
OKNancy Dec 2012 #5
KatyMan Dec 2012 #22
amandabeech Dec 2012 #46
Name Unpronounceable Dec 2012 #56
Are_grits_groceries Dec 2012 #8
spanone Dec 2012 #40
Festivito Dec 2012 #9
rucky Dec 2012 #25
Festivito Dec 2012 #63
muriel_volestrangler Dec 2012 #26
Festivito Dec 2012 #64
Sekhmets Daughter Dec 2012 #27
TexasBushwhacker Dec 2012 #53
Sekhmets Daughter Dec 2012 #62
Festivito Dec 2012 #65
secondvariety Dec 2012 #10
onethatcares Dec 2012 #23
Resonance_Chamber Dec 2012 #11
cordelia Dec 2012 #18
csziggy Dec 2012 #30
former9thward Dec 2012 #34
ReRe Dec 2012 #12
Resonance_Chamber Dec 2012 #13
ReRe Dec 2012 #16
Carolina Dec 2012 #17
csziggy Dec 2012 #31
NOLALady Dec 2012 #54
raccoon Dec 2012 #14
justabob Dec 2012 #15
Sekhmets Daughter Dec 2012 #28
moondust Dec 2012 #19
hobbit709 Dec 2012 #21
LeftInTX Dec 2012 #36
hobbit709 Dec 2012 #20
hfojvt Dec 2012 #38
SummerSnow Dec 2012 #39
xmas74 Dec 2012 #45
99Forever Dec 2012 #47
Beartracks Dec 2012 #48
thesquanderer Dec 2012 #49
BobbyBoring Dec 2012 #50
ancianita Dec 2012 #66
BobbyBoring Dec 2012 #68
ancianita Dec 2012 #69
w8liftinglady Dec 2012 #51
Thinkingabout Dec 2012 #52
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #57
SammyWinstonJack Dec 2012 #61
SoCalDem Dec 2012 #67

Response to Whovian (Original post)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 03:26 AM

1. The Uninsured Are Supposed To Read Horatio Alger Stories And Just Suck Up The Pain

eom

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to cantbeserious (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 05:05 AM

6. The Horatio Alger stories are painful all on their own

I decided one fine day to read some of Mr. Alger's work. Turns out they're not what the wingers think: according to Alger, if you are po' and you work really hard and attract the attention of a rich benefactor, you'll eventually be able to eat more than once every couple of days.

Oh, and the guy can't write.

Reply to this post

Response to jmowreader (Reply #6)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 05:38 AM

7. That's Exactly What The 'Wingers Think - It's All About Patronage - Suck Up To The Wealthy

eom

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 11:41 AM

29. Don't forget the part about marrying the patron daughter

. . . and the woodcutter married the princess and they lived happily every after in her daddy's big, big palace.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 12:51 PM

33. I had the unfortunate experience of the same decision.

The only thing I can think of as to their momentary popularity is the time frame in which they were written. A time of robber barons and poverty when the only leg up would be by hitting a metaphoric lotto.

Reply to this post

Response to Whovian (Reply #33)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 05:19 PM

43. The Deep Dark Republican Secret is they're actually books for boys

The guy wrote the same book one hundred times: young ruffian turns over a new leaf and becomes respectable. Kind of like a Chick tract with better art (the Alger books are not illustrated) and less overt Christianity.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 01:41 PM

35. Absolutely right on both counts. I read some of his stuff ages ago. nt

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 06:05 PM

44. The Repubs think of it as 'Networking'. n/t

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 02:38 AM

58. yes, that's the horrible thing about the real horatio alger stories -- it's all about attracting the

wealthy benefactor who recognizes your worth and pulls you out of the anonymous mass to elevate you.

in that sense those books are quite like romance fiction. pure fantasy.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #58)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 02:56 AM

59. And he doesn't elevate you much

Mail clerk--a good job for a boy in those days, and the protagonists of Alger's yarns were always young boys, because that was the target audience--was about as high as any of Alger's heroes ever got.

I think Alger himself would be astounded at what his books have become in the contemporary fiction of today as seen on Fox News. Alger never promised rags to riches, as the teabaggers who have glommed onto the Alger myth as surely as they've wedded themselves to the Reagan myth seem to think. Rather, he taught that by hard work and thrift a young man of hardscrabble beginnings could earn respectability, though he would remain non-rich for riches are the province of those who were born to leisure.

Reply to this post

Response to jmowreader (Reply #59)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 03:00 AM

60. yes. but office work was a big step up for manual laborers at the time, & educational standards

were raised at the beginning of the century, so it was this class of people who were part of the audience for these books. my grandmother (born in the 1880s) had an alger book in her library and they were small farmers.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 03:38 AM

2. That list is one heady brew...

rich in contrasting and ironic flavorings. Intoxicatingly blended with poetic justice. But what about the nearly half of their populations that are NOT Republican Libertarian Teabag hypocrites?

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 04:03 AM

3. Nope. I live in happily deep blue CA.

Reply to this post

Response to sakabatou (Reply #3)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 10:37 AM

24. CA has a higher rate of uninsured than LA or SC

The figures in the OP are wrong. Here are the actual figures (and for all other states):

South Carolina: 20.3% uninsured
Louisiana: 20.5% uninsured
California: 20.7% uninsured
Florida: 25.3% uninsured
Texas: 26.3% uninsured

http://www.census.gov/did/www/sahie/data/interactive/

and, in absolute numbers, California has more uninsured than any other state, because it has the largest population.

Reply to this post

Response to muriel_volestrangler (Reply #24)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 12:39 PM

32. That's what I thought. And I am one of those CA uninsured.

You almost can't touch health insurance in my area (the most costly in the nation for healthcare) for under $500/mo, and a decent policy runs about $800. My one BR apartment is $1100.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 03:24 PM

37. Oh.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 03:44 PM

41. The difference is CA is very much looking forward to having their citizens insured.

Unlike those 4 states.

Reply to this post

Response to JaneyVee (Reply #41)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 04:58 PM

42. Yes; it's better put as "these 4 states are refusing Obamacare; they contain 1/4 of the uninsured"

As the graphic orders it, rather than the thread title puts it.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 11:17 PM

55. THREE STATES Are Responsible For ONE FOURTH Of America's Uninsured. Is Yours One Of Them?

CA, IL, and NY combined account for 24.3% of the US uninsured. (Much closer to ¼ than the 22.5% combined in the OP.)

Based on the source used by upworthy.com for the graphic in the opening post.

Not a very useful headline chosen for that graphic - as you pointed out above.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 04:38 AM

4. I did not even need to look further than the title ....

to know Texas leads the list. I work as a School Nurse. I deal with kids and families on a daily basis that have no insurance. It breaks your heart.

We are chipping away at the Repub. Supermajority. It has been hard what with all of the redistricting that was done a while back. And I would like to apologize in advance for the tea bag asswipe Ted Cruz that will be heading to Washington. Watch out for him.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 04:53 AM

5. Uninsured will be able to purchase insurance using the federal exchange

and of course, as always, taxpayers and insurance holders will have to subsidize the states who opt out.

It's not entirely hopeless for those who are uninsured however. It will probably be harder for those who would have qualified for expanded Medicare strictly because of the lack of state coordination.
For others who wouldn't have qualified because their income is too high, but they still aren't insured... they will be able to buy and compare insurance using the federal exchange. I just read on the Obamacare facts site that they can only charge up to 9.5% of a persons income for the two cheaper plans, and 12% of a persons income for the gold /platinum plan.

Based off of what we know so far the exchanges "Bronze plans" and "Sliver plans" are capped at 9.5% of your income for 300 - 400% FLP. It's a sliding scale so those under will pay less. "Gold plans" and "Platinum plans" can cost no more than 12% of income. Although high end plans may be subject to a 40% excise tax depending on cost. Depending on your income you may pay only a percentage of the total cost.

http://obamacarefacts.com/obamacare-health-insurance-exchange.php

Edit to add: I found this quote from the fact page enlightening.. mostly because it applies to my own situation:
"You may qualify for discounts to help pay for premiums if your income is from $15,302 to $46,021 for an individual and $31,155 to $93,700 for a family of four."

Reply to this post

Response to OKNancy (Reply #5)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 09:22 AM

22. Isn't the federal government

paying most of the costs of Obamacare (which I wholeheartedly support) whether it is the state setting up the exchange or the federal government. And even though we taxpayers will be paying for it, it is much less expensive than the care we are currently subsidizing, i.e. using emergency rooms, etc.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 06:26 PM

46. For older adults, the plan premiums will be as high as they are now.

When I'm working and not helping with elderly family members, I make a little too much for the subsidy.

The Kaiser Foundation estimates of a silver plan with the subsidy are around $550 a month, and without the subsidy, $1200-1400. One bedroom apartments run $1200-1500 here. Really, unless you make $12000 or so above the subsidy cut off, you'll have less money for things other than health insurance than you would if you had made if you're income was just under the subsidy maximum. IMHO, those subsidies should be phased out more gradually and should contain some regional COLA like federal salaries do now.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 11:34 PM

56. the website obamacarefacts

is not well-written and it's hard to make sense of what it's trying to say sometimes. Under the heading "Who CAN'T participate in the health exchanges," the first mention is "anyone who doesn't qualify for Medicaid." So this means that only people who qualify for Medicaid can use the exchanges? Or put another way, only people who can't afford health insurance in the first place are allowed to use the exchanges?

But then at the very bottom, it states "anyone can use the exchanges (although) not everyone will receive discounts." Well, are there exceptions or not?

I think someone else mentioned that the percentage of income limit to be paid toward the premium should be phased in a lot better than it is. The way it is now (from what I understood from reading the above website), if you make under a certain amount -- something like $40,000 a year -- your premium is a percentage of your income. Well, that's great. But as soon as you make one dollar over that amount, you have to pay the full premium. What kind of Bizarro world do we live in where when we get to a certain amount of income in a year we actually try to make less, not more? That sucks. There should be some kind of phasing in, where if you make from 40k to 50k, you pay a slightly higher percentage; if you make 50k to 60k, you pay a slightly higher percentage, until the income is so high that it doesn't really matter because you can afford your own hospital.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 05:40 AM

8. And there is push back against Haley in SC for not expanding Medicaid:

Hospital group touts economic boost to SC of Medicaid expansion

COLUMBIA, SC — Expanding Medicaid would lead to 44,000 new S.C. jobs, the S.C. Hospital Association said Friday, firing the first major return volley in the battle over whether South Carolina should expand the federal-state program that pays for health care for the poor.
In addition to more jobs, the study says expanding Medicaid would create $3.3 billion in economic activity in the state and $1.5 billion in additional income from labor through 2020.
“Medicaid expansion will improve the health of the state and significantly boost the state’s economy,” said Hospital Association chief executive Thornton Kirby. “It’s a win-win for South Carolina.”
<snip>
Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/2012/12/08/2548702/sc-hospital-group-touts-economic.html#storylink=cpy

Don't know if this will gain any traction, but Haley listens to nobody. She is Queen in her mind.

Reply to this post

Response to Are_grits_groceries (Reply #8)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 03:43 PM

40. it's going to haunt all these governors and state legislators....they will be gone

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 05:50 AM

9. That looks incorrect. Nearly one quarter WITHIN THOSE STATES lack insurance.

These four states combined have one in four uninsured. ... higher infant mortality and more overweight children than the rest of our nation.

And, that does not include those under-insured, or that our nation as a standard is far behind other countries in the world.

Maybe one-quarter of that nation, but not the nation or our nation.

Reply to this post

Response to Festivito (Reply #9)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 10:57 AM

25. You can't know for sure unless you know the gross numbers of uninsured.

But given the spread in percentages between the two groups, it could still be a true statement that 1/4 of the nation's uninsured live in these states.

Reply to this post

Response to rucky (Reply #25)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 12:56 PM

63. 11,253,928 (4-states) / 46,556,803 (uninsured in US under 65)

24.17% which could come up to 25% working with the margins of error.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 10:58 AM

26. The headline claim is correct

though the actual figures given for those states (eg Louisiana 17%) look a bit wrong (out of date, perhaps, or an age group I can't work out). Here's the government figures: http://www.census.gov/did/www/sahie/data/interactive/

That says, for 2010, for those under 65, there were a total of 46,556,803 uninsured; and, adding up those 4 states' figures, they come to 24.2% of the total - about one fourth. They aren't all of the states with bad figures; but, Florida and Texas being high in both population and uninsured rate, they form, when combined with a couple of other states, a fourth of the total uninsured. The national average is 17.7%.

Reply to this post

Response to muriel_volestrangler (Reply #26)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 01:03 PM

64. You are correct. 17% of under 65ers in US, 24+% of US under 65ers uninsured in 2010.

Thank you. Sorry to take so long. Needed to get another computer. If it does not smell right, I have to try and check it out myself.

And, it checks out.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 11:36 AM

27. Texas and Florida

are two of the largest states...rank for TX # 2 and FL # 4. Their numbers dwarf almost all of the other states. #5, IL, has 6,188,285 fewer people than FL and 12,805,424 fewer people than TX. Those numbers are from the 2010 census.

Reply to this post

Response to Sekhmets Daughter (Reply #27)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 10:57 PM

53. The counties pick up some of the costs in Texas

Texas doesn't contribute anything to Medicaid, so you have to be insanely poor to get that. I don't know about other cities and towns, but Austin (Travis County) and Houston (Harris County) have hospital districts with taxing authority and medical assistance available. Austin's is called MAP (Medical Assistance Program) and it's all or nothing. If you're poor enough to get it, you get it and there is a small co-pay for office visits and prescriptions. But if you make too much, and in my case unemployment was too much, you don't get anything. There is no sliding scale or anything. In Houston they what's called a Gold Card. There are 2 levels of coverage. The lowest level has just a $3 co-pay, the higher level (which I'm on) has a $10 co-pay and $20 co-pay for dental. I get my prescriptions for $8 each. I'm disabled, so I feel very lucky that the Gold Card is available. But technically I'm uninsured. I guess the governments of Travis and Harris counties decided it was better for poor people to NOT be using emergency rooms for primary care.

I think what will happen in Texas is that if the state doesn't accept the expanded Medicaid, those hospital districts will apply for that money.

Reply to this post

Response to TexasBushwhacker (Reply #53)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:33 AM

62. It's amazing to me that so many people

can be so comfortable with not providing health care for others. I really don't understand the American psyche at all. A recent Gallup poll found 90% of Americans identified themselves as people of faith.... I am forced to wonder, exactly which faith?

Reply to this post

Response to Sekhmets Daughter (Reply #27)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 01:22 PM

65. Texas and Florida are large, two are down the way

POP UNDER 65
TX 22,098,206
FL 15,210,949
LA 3,869,900
SC 3,871,669

TOT 45,050,724

UNINSURED UNDER 65
TX 5,820,793
FL 3,853,392
SC 785,961
LA 793,782

TOT 11,253,928

out of 46,556,803 of under 65ers uninsured in US in 2010

SORTED BY PERCENT UNINSURED UNDER 65
STATE POP UNDER 65 %UN
Texas 22,098,206 26.3
Florida 15,210,949 25.3
Nevada 2,346,884 25.1
New Mexico 1,756,794 22.6
Georgia 8,435,908 21.9
Oklahoma 3,163,465 21.9
Alaska 647,241 21.4
Mississippi 2,504,200 21
California 32,504,288 20.7
Montana 823,852 20.7
Arkansas 2,431,331 20.6
Louisiana 3,869,900 20.5
South Carolina 3,871,669 20.3
Idaho 1,348,658 20.3
Oregon 3,241,366 19.7
Arizona 5,399,995 19.3
North Carolina 8,097,413 19.1
Colorado 4,393,592 17.7
Kentucky 3,653,181 17.5
West Virginia 1,508,371 17.4

ALL STATES POPULATION UNDER 65
California 32,504,288
Texas 22,098,206
New York 16,360,854
Florida 15,210,949
Illinois 10,984,334
Pennsylvania 10,400,895
Ohio 9,656,565
Georgia 8,435,908
Michigan 8,325,453
North Carolina 8,097,413
New Jersey 7,480,176
Virginia 6,827,049
Washington 5,814,063
Indiana 5,479,035
Massachusetts 5,465,884
Arizona 5,399,995
Tennessee 5,359,465
Missouri 5,007,946
Maryland 4,961,691
Wisconsin 4,784,545
Minnesota 4,534,170
Colorado 4,393,592
Alabama 4,021,188
South Carolina 3,871,669
Louisiana 3,869,900
Kentucky 3,653,181
Oregon 3,241,366
Oklahoma 3,163,465
Connecticut 2,981,227
Iowa 2,516,872
Mississippi 2,504,200
Utah 2,482,360
Arkansas 2,431,331
Kansas 2,414,767
Nevada 2,346,884
New Mexico 1,756,794
Nebraska 1,539,600
West Virginia 1,508,371
Idaho 1,348,658
Hawaii 1,153,573
New Hampshire 1,103,465
Maine 1,086,996
Rhode Island 867,178
Montana 823,852
Delaware 749,205
South Dakota 678,859
Alaska 647,241
North Dakota 559,002
Vermont 512,348
District of Columbia 504,160
Wyoming 483,193

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 05:52 AM

10. Florida!

I knew we'd make the list.

Reply to this post

Response to secondvariety (Reply #10)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 09:55 AM

23. yeah, Pam Blondi

and pricksnot have a thing about treading on the citizens here.

I moved here during the Lawton Chiles days and can't believe how messed up it is anymore. Everything seems to be going down hill, from the home owners insurance bullshit to the price of a fishing licence for salt water. Don't even get me talking about the progress energy pay for the building of a non existant nuke plant.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 06:17 AM

11. Just let em go

it would be the best thing for them and the rest of the sane people.

They have no desire to live within a civilized society.

Just let them go and be done with it.

We would be better off with out them.

Reply to this post

Response to Resonance_Chamber (Reply #11)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 08:45 AM

18. Really now?

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 11:43 AM

30. Nope, not going. Native Floridian here who will fight for her state

My family has lived in Florida since 1925, been Democratic since then. I'm not leaving and will fight anyone who wants my state to leave. I've tried to work for more Democratic government and will continue to do so.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 12:56 PM

34. What state do you live in?

Maybe we will prefer to let them go -- or at least you.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 06:19 AM

12. Thank God, no, I am not situated in any of those states...

...but that doesn't make me any less upset about this issue. Obamacare (ACA) is all we (the USG) have at this point to get most if not all those folks insured. How do those red state governors get away with this? Not accepting Obamacare? If Obamacare is the law of the land, and they don't obey the law, isn't that the same thing as seceding? Can a resident of those states who wants Obamacare sue the state for not allowing them to have access to it?

Damn... if we had just done the right thing (enacted Medicare for all) back in 2010, we wouldn't be haggling over this now. And we all know who all was responsible for universal health care not being enacted, don't we? (Not PO).

Politics+Corporations sucks big-time.

Reply to this post

Response to ReRe (Reply #12)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 06:30 AM

13. Seems like the people of those states don't care either

They keep voting for Politicians who are intentionally and openly hurting them over and over again.

The people of the states don't even take to the streets to complain so from my POV they are getting what they want and voted for.

If the people of the states don't care I am not going to care any more either.

It is what they want and voted for at the state level so they can live with their choice.

Reply to this post

Response to Resonance_Chamber (Reply #13)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 08:11 AM

16. Nawwww, don't blame the people in the states...

... or at least don't blame the uneducated ones, let me say it that way. Faux News is where they get their politics. They get just enough education to be able to read and write at a rudimentary level, enough to read easy instructions, to write a check, to take the drivers exam, and even to vote. They go to school as long as the state requires it...probably to age 16 (no matter what grade they are in at the time...many fail and are in lower grades than expected for their age.) They have probably NEVER read a book from front to back, nor would comprehend much of it if they did. Many of them are very poor and get as much gov help as they can., although that isn't much, these days with all the cutbacks. They subsist. And they have babies.

Anyway, I could go on and on and on, but I won't. Their states don't care about them. They neglect them, they keep them uneducated and poor for a reason. You can't hold people responsible if they have an IQ of 70-75. They don't know that life could be different for them with an education. They don't know that they might be able to actually go to college, with information and encouragement.

Let's don't blame the victims.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 08:45 AM

17. I'm a transplant to SC

long story... and I plan to retire elsewhere ASAP.

Many people here are so preoccupied with Gamecock football, the SEC and other such BS that they are oblivious to the revolving repuke mess they vote for every election cycle.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 11:48 AM

31. Don't broad brush the citizens of any state!

The Florida county I live in votes Democratic. My county did not elect pRick Scott, Charlie Crist, Jeb Bush, or Marco Rubio into office. We voted over 70% for Obama in both 2008 and 2012. We're not responsible for the morons downstate that voted in those a**holes.

Did your state or county vote 100% Democratic? If not, why should you be entitled to throw other states out of the union?

Fuck it, life's too short to argue with a recent joiner of this site, adding to my ignore list.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 10:58 PM

54. Nearly 40% of Louisianians

supported the President in this last election.

Are you saying the 40% should suffer the consequences because there are not enough of us?

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 07:10 AM

14. Whaddya want to bet they are all "right to work" states? I know SC is. nt

Reply to this post

Response to raccoon (Reply #14)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 07:14 AM

15. Texas is as well nt

Reply to this post

Response to raccoon (Reply #14)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 11:37 AM

28. So is FL

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 09:14 AM

19. Two theories.

1. At least in Texas and Florida the Repug governors are trying to make life hard/unbearable for the poor so they'll get up and move someplace else more liveable. Fewer needy ultimately means lower taxes for the obsessive anti-tax loons.

2. They're going to let the feds come in and set up Obamacare because trying to do it themselves would be a disaster that again reveals their incompetence.

Just theories.

Reply to this post

Response to moondust (Reply #19)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 09:21 AM

21. When you're that poor you can't afford to leave.

Reply to this post

Response to hobbit709 (Reply #21)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 01:52 PM

36. I think Rick Perry is plain old sadistic

In a KKK type way.

He knows that lower income citizens don't vote in governor's election
He knows that not enough Democrats will vote him off the island.

Appealing to the conservative base is the name of the game around here.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 09:20 AM

20. I knew that TX was on top of the list.

TX consistently comes in 51st in a field of 50.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 03:36 PM

38. those 4 states are also about 17% of the population

8% vs 25% looks like a "wow" statistic

17% vs. 25% looks like much less of a "wow".

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 03:39 PM

39. I live in New York

For some reason I thought we made the list

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 06:16 PM

45. Jay Nixon (governor) and Chris Koster

(attorney general) have vowed to support it here on Missouri. This time I'm thankful to live here.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 06:28 PM

47. K&R

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 07:52 PM

48. But it's about FREEDOM! Their people are FREE to be uninsured! And...

... FREE to get sick when they shouldn't have to. And FREE to apply for state aid programs when they're too sick to work (until those are closed down by the Republicans). And FREE to drag themselves to those TOTALLY FREE emergency rooms like Romney talked about whenever they decide to finally get that gangrene looked at. And, perhaps most importantly to the Republican governors, their people are FREE to die.

======================

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 08:33 PM

49. I am missing the significance of the "own country" graphic (n/t)

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 10:25 PM

50. I say let them succede!

We'll swap them Ark and Oklahoma for FL. It's just to beautiful a state to leave to those scumbags!

Reply to this post

Response to BobbyBoring (Reply #50)

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 02:38 PM

66. Proofread. Weak spelling -- "secede" and "too" -- always, always weakens your message.

Reply to this post

Response to ancianita (Reply #66)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:46 PM

68. Yo Idjet

Too means in addition to. Nothing worse than spelling/ grammar police that don't have a clue!

Reply to this post

Response to BobbyBoring (Reply #68)

Mon Dec 17, 2012, 03:24 PM

69. As in "to beautiful", idjet?

Nothing worse than bad proofreaders.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 10:26 PM

51. Yes. It has been the main focus of my activism here in Tx

ALMOST 2 MILLION CHILDREN are uninsured here.

It makes me sick.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 10:34 PM

52. Hey, dont fret, we Texans sent the nation the piece of crap Bush and we couldnot get you to take OOP

Education when down with Bush and still down the list on health care. I love the state but not the crap in the governor's office. Maybe we can repackage OOPS and you may not recognize him.

BTW, OOPS did not want the stimulus money but took it later and balanced his budget he bragged on. As I said a piece of crap.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 02:37 AM

57. tx, fla, la -- three of the usual suspects where the fascists have taken over. gee, their policies

sure work well!

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 03:28 AM

61. Texas. It figures. That A$$hole pRick Perry!

He's good at picking the pockets of the taxpayers while screwing them over.

Could have had a great Gov. last election but for the ignorant and self-serving pukes in this state.

Soon as my house sell, I'm moving to the Oregon Coast.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 10, 2012, 03:02 PM

67. and two of those states also have no income tax (both are "hurricane states"....

Talk about "Takers"..

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread