HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I think the worst part of...

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 06:37 PM

I think the worst part of that prank call to the London hospital

is that the nurse who committed suicide was so troubled and humiliated about offending royalty that she took her own life.
Something must be wrong with society if royalty must not be offended. I saw nothing wrong with that prank call. It was freaking hilarious. The DJs aren't responsible for that suicide - society's BS is responsible. It's not as if morning sickness is some state secret.
No prank call over royals could make me commit suicide. In the first place I wouldn't take the call.

Blaming the DJs is effin' foolishness and fugg royals everywhere.

49 replies, 2911 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 49 replies Author Time Post
Reply I think the worst part of that prank call to the London hospital (Original post)
malaise Dec 2012 OP
Drew Richards Dec 2012 #1
Darth_Kitten Dec 2012 #2
dballance Dec 2012 #16
Drew Richards Dec 2012 #23
Prometheus Bound Dec 2012 #26
Ken Burch Dec 2012 #27
dballance Dec 2012 #36
Ken Burch Dec 2012 #40
TheMadMonk Dec 2012 #37
randome Dec 2012 #39
RichGirl Dec 2012 #3
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2012 #4
Drew Richards Dec 2012 #5
Capt. Obvious Dec 2012 #6
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2012 #7
WinkyDink Dec 2012 #10
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2012 #12
TheMadMonk Dec 2012 #49
malaise Dec 2012 #11
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2012 #14
DrDan Dec 2012 #32
Beaverhausen Dec 2012 #8
malaise Dec 2012 #13
smirkymonkey Dec 2012 #22
malaise Dec 2012 #35
LisaL Dec 2012 #44
treestar Dec 2012 #9
Rhiannon12866 Dec 2012 #15
malaise Dec 2012 #18
treestar Dec 2012 #42
JI7 Dec 2012 #17
malaise Dec 2012 #19
JI7 Dec 2012 #21
kiva Dec 2012 #20
Nye Bevan Dec 2012 #24
JI7 Dec 2012 #25
graham4anything Dec 2012 #29
LisaL Dec 2012 #45
Nye Bevan Dec 2012 #47
MrYikes Dec 2012 #28
graham4anything Dec 2012 #30
Le Taz Hot Dec 2012 #31
B Calm Dec 2012 #33
malaise Dec 2012 #34
treestar Dec 2012 #43
Beaverhausen Dec 2012 #48
Chemisse Dec 2012 #38
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2012 #41
bigtree Dec 2012 #46

Response to malaise (Original post)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 06:50 PM

1. Do you really think that is all there is to it?

That she was so embarressed that she took her life?

Talk to someone in the profession what would happen to them if they relayed say the vice presidents condition over the phone to a prank....

Lets see...

How about being fired...blacklisted...oh and loosing your license to practice you profession forever that you have worked for all your life...

But sure, you just go on blaming the victem for being weak no problem.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Drew Richards (Reply #1)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 06:55 PM

2. That's not what they wrote...

They are so right about society's BS and the importance it puts on someone whose only contribution to the world so far is looking pretty for the cameras.
It was a mild prank; the reaction, for whatever reasons, was extreme. And it didn't need to be.

Reply to this post

Response to Drew Richards (Reply #1)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 07:56 PM

16. And why exactly should a person NOT be fired

blacklisted, and lose their license for giving out confidential medical information to people without properly verifying those people are who they say they are and have some legal reason to have the information? Seriously, the queen may be Kate's mother-in-law and be the head of state for the UK but does even she have any legal right to Kate's medical records?

If you go get an AIDS test and it turns out positive do you want your mother-in-law to be able to call the doctor and get the results?

I do think it's horrible she committed suicide and I'm sure her bosses were probably giving her hell.

They should have been giving her hell though otherwise they would be negligent in their responsibilities to ensure the privacy of patients.

The choice to take her own life was solely her own and not the responsibility of the DJs. People thought it was a laugh riot when DJs called Gov. Scott Walker and pretended to be one of the Koch brothers. I fail to see how these DJ's actions were any different except for the horrible outcome of suicide. If she had not killed herself and the headlines had read "Nurse Gets Fired for Divulging Information on Kate" I doubt there would have been a lot of sympathy for her.

Again I do feel it's horrible she took her own life and I feel horrible for her family having to deal with it.

Reply to this post

Response to dballance (Reply #16)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 01:30 AM

23. You say I fail to see the difference...

Well that says it all...now doesnt it.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 05:01 AM

26. As I understand it, she didn't tell them anything.

She just transferred their call.

It sounds as if the problem here is the hospital's quality control system. They put someone on telephone reception who wasn't properly trained to handle things.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 05:07 AM

27. No, they shouldn't have given HER hell.

They should give THEMSELVES hell for assuming that HRH is automatically entitled to confidential medical info for a different person who simply happens to be PART of the Royal Family.

Any of those stuffed shirts running the hospital could have fallen for the prank themselves, as far as that go. They had no right to make her miserable and to put her career in question for a harmless mistake that ANYONE could have made.

ONLY the DJ's themselves should ever have been punished. If they hadn't made the prank call, none of this would have happened. It's totally on them(and, to their credit, the dj's themselves seem to get that).

Reply to this post

Response to Ken Burch (Reply #27)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 06:29 AM

36. You are completely wrong

Which one of the stuffed shirts gave out info? The person who gave out info to the person they thought was the queen made the decision the queen was entitled to that information all on their own apparently. So THAT person is the person who should be punished for making that decision.

It is NOT a harmless mistake "anyone" could have made to give out a person's confidential medical information because you think you're talking to the queen. I suspect many others would have properly refused to divulge information even if they thought they were talking to the queen because it is what they are supposed to do and is the professional, ethical thing to do. I'm sure the queen has William's and Kate's cell numbers and could call them rather than the hospital for information. So anyone giving out information in this situation was stupid to begin with.

What if Kate had some terminal disease or if her doctors were recommending that she abort the fetus because it threatened her life? Would that sort of information leaking into the public be as benign as severe morning sickness? Which is apparently still pretty bad since it required hospitalization.

Reply to this post

Response to dballance (Reply #36)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 10:21 AM

40. The nurse, at that moment, would have thought she'd be sacked if she DIDN'T put the call through.

And transferring the call was ALL that she did...she didn't give out any medical information herself.

And why would she have had any reason to doubt that it was the Queen calling? It's not like they get royal impersonators ringing in every day.

The real issue here is that, it seems, no one in that hospital would refuse to do whatever the Queen told them to. It wasn't just the nurse, it was everyone ELSE who took part in the call...including, I assume, the other health care professionals who were on call at the time.

You are singling out this poor shame-stricken woman for no reason...It's how things work in a monarchy. This nurse took her life, at least in part, due to uncontrollable shame over something any other nurse, any other doctor, anyone else answering that phone in that hospital and hearing the voice she heard WOULD HAVE DONE. If you'd been raised British, raised to give this arrogant little band of inbred Germans an absolutely pointless degree of automatic reverence and, yes, obedience, you yourself could EASILY have done the same thing. Don't assume that's impossible.

Clearly, this isn't the FIRST time a king or queen has made such a call to a British hospital about a member of the royal family, and clearly no one on staff felt they had the right to say "sorry, mum, I can't even tell YOU about that", and the fault, really, is cultural...the decision to put through the call was driven by the almost ludicrous level of subservience and deference to anyone and anything royal that is driven into British people...this was NOT simply about this nurse as an individual. It's quite cruel that you are railing at a dead woman, blaming her in isolation, and dismissing all the other things that might have led her to put the call through. Why are you singling the biggest victim of this story out for more scorn than anyone and anything else involved?

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 07:35 AM

37. Um, she didn't. All she did was punch the call through to another...

...nurse who passed on nothing that wasn't already public knowledge.

Before she was a victim, she was a villian, excoriated online and in the British tabloids. Dead or alive all she is and was is grist for the blogsphere and sensationalist media. Metaphorically, she was just one more grainy photo of Kate's teats.

Reply to this post

Response to TheMadMonk (Reply #37)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 07:48 AM

39. Well said. And true.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 07:14 PM

3. I thought it was a stupid prank...

Not in the least bit funny. That was my opinion when I first heard it....just a stupid attempt to get attention. Aside from not being funny...no matter how you look at it...they deliberately made a fool of a hard working nurse. She didn't deserve it. A while back when someone pulled a prank on Sarah Palin I didn't find that funny either, mostly cringe worthy. But at least they didn't do it to an innocent bystander just doing her job.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 07:25 PM

4. You know what?

There is more to this story than pampered royals and a nurse.

There are several points.

1.- I doubt there is all to it for the suicide. I suspect there was a tad of depression in the background. Yup, the kind that leads to suicide when undetected or treated. This call is the trigger, and no, I am not saying she was weak, or a variety of other bs reasons we hear from society. I hope some good comes from it and they reach to the rest of the staff and offer counseling/ treatment if needed.

2.- Leave the social station to the side, patient privacy, I don't care if these are homeless or royals, should not be invaded. The prank was in extremely bad taste. Why? It was an invasion of patient privacy, and Kate deserves the same as I expect if I go to the hospital.

3.- The station is known for these risqu pranks...well, it caught up to them now...

You are looking at the surface...

That said, it is the decision of the citizens of the UK if they still want, essentially, people who carry through mostly social functions. And to the credit of the British monarchy, unlike our attempt at it...they serve...and they don't shirk from serving. Ask any member of our ruling class how many of their children will dare darken a recruiters station? Or for that matter serve their society in a meaningful way.

This in no way says I think a monarchy should even be in place, but that is the business of the Brits. And let's be honest, compared to the House of Saud they are pretty mild these days.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #4)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 07:30 PM

5. Well said!

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 07:32 PM

6. "patient privacy, I don't care if these are homeless or royals, should not be invaded"

Agreed. Now let's get back to looking at nude pix of them and reading about their sex lives

Reply to this post

Response to Capt. Obvious (Reply #6)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 07:38 PM

7. The British press is out of control

But that is a completely different discussion.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #7)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 07:46 PM

10. The UK press did not print the Kate photos.

Reply to this post

Response to WinkyDink (Reply #10)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 07:50 PM

12. I know

But they are nt spring flowers and they are out of control.

Reply to this post

Response to WinkyDink (Reply #10)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 08:29 PM

49. Not out of any sense of decency. They were in reach of Brittish Courts. /nt

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 07:49 PM

11. I agree with you re the possibility of a tad of depression in the background

I've never heard Royals complaining about the invasion of the rest of society's privacy and the British press is notorious for this. Add to that their daily photos of naked or half naked females - no complaints until it's a French publication with the naked royals.

I am anti-royal - fugg em!! They're just ordinary humans like the rest of us except that they are freeloading welfare kings, queens and princes.
It was a harmless prank.
If the hospital really cared about privacy no one could phone for information - no doubt the poor receptionist broke the rules for the 'entitled royal prank morons'.

And don't give the kids those stupid books about becoming princesses. It perpetuates this royalty rubbish.
You can't have democracy in the presence of royalty.
It's completely wrong to blame those DJs for that lady's suicide.

Reply to this post

Response to malaise (Reply #11)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 07:53 PM

14. But the point still stands

It is up to the citizens of the UK whether they want to keep it.

Regardless, theirs is pretty much ceremonial and the Brits, in survey after survey, want to keep them around.

Oh and the UK is a democratic system. Why I mentioned the House of Saud...now those boys are leeches.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 05:53 AM

32. +1 - exactly right!

it is their business

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 07:43 PM

8. Exactly what about the call was "freaking hilarious"?

I'd like to hear.

Reply to this post

Response to Beaverhausen (Reply #8)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 07:52 PM

13. Listen to the tape with the fake accents

It was very funny because they don't even sound English - their accents sound Australian.

Reply to this post

Response to malaise (Reply #13)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 08:46 PM

22. I don't think English was the nurse's first language.

I believe she and her family were from India. I thought the accents were ridiculous, but she may not have been able to tell.

Reply to this post

Response to smirkymonkey (Reply #22)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 06:29 AM

35. You may be correct n/t

Reply to this post

Response to malaise (Reply #13)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 11:20 AM

44. This nurse was from India.

Therefore, might have not realized the accent was Australian.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 07:45 PM

9. I agree, has to be more to it

If she were not depressed, she could sue their asses - I'm sure there is something she could get them for. I'd have gone to Australia and found a lawyer right away.

Then see if there are remedies under UK law - clearly the hospital should have a policy to tell its employees what to do in case of calls from "The Queen."

Reply to this post

Response to treestar (Reply #9)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 07:55 PM

15. I seriously doubt that the Queen would be making these calls herself

She has "staff" for that (Private Secretary) or she could have just asked William...

Reply to this post

Response to Rhiannon12866 (Reply #15)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 08:02 PM

18. I'm sure the queen and her son have their in law's private cell phone number

No royal prank was humiliating me - sorry

Reply to this post

Response to Rhiannon12866 (Reply #15)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 11:14 AM

42. True, in fact anyone work for an hospital?

I would think the mother in law is not included unless she is there with the husband.

I too would have doubted the Queen was on the phone and would have kicked the matter upstairs.

One would think the Queen's privileges would mean also she could call the people at the tippy top of the hospital hierarchy and that she wouldn't have to call the ordinary number.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 07:58 PM

17. you don't know that, releasing medical info even on non famous types

is taken seriously.

and what do you think the "royals" should do ? kill themselves ? they have no power. and most of the Brits like them because they bring in more money than they take.

but it's a good way to take any blame away from people who actually made the calls and tried to get private info.

Reply to this post

Response to JI7 (Reply #17)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 08:04 PM

19. By whom in Britain

How come the Murdoch press had so much access?

Reply to this post

Response to malaise (Reply #19)

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 08:38 PM

21. the british govt ?

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 8, 2012, 08:33 PM

20. And I think that the worse part of the call were that the

jerks were seeking private medical information and deliberately humiliating someone, the nurse. Why? For ratings. Money. Not because they were somehow pranking the royals, but so that their ratings and, by extension, the stations ratings would rise and everyone would get more $$.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 02:05 AM

24. Most people don't commit suicide even when their spouse or child dies,

or they lose their job, or they go bankrupt, or they are excruciatingly embarrassed by something (think Anthony Weiner or John Edwards).

The nurse clearly was severely mentally ill, and if the prank call had not happened, something else would likely have triggered her suicide.

Reply to this post

Response to Nye Bevan (Reply #24)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 04:37 AM

25. the reaction of others when loved one dies is usually sympathy

think of all the kids who commit suicide because of being ridiculed vs those who lose a parent.

she may have felt shame, a failure at her work.

also Weiner and Edwards were public figures while this nurse could have been a very private person.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 05:40 AM

29. I am sorry, but the linking of Rep. Weiner and Sen. Edwards is 100% incorrect

The Edwards were a team. period. end. of. story.

the two things were in the no way connected or similiar.
Anthony Weiner was not running for national office and he was outed and resigned.

The Edwards knew the info together, and kept it silent while continuing to run for the highest office in the land, both knowing full well if it came out the moments before election day, it woould lead to a republican president and they attempted knowing inside information
to barter their way into a job in trade for his support.

Those are two major differences IMHO.

(now back to this tragedy.)

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 11:21 AM

45. Well, she made it to 46, while apparently showing no sign of any severe mental illness.

So I have no clue as to how you came up with your claim.

Reply to this post

Response to LisaL (Reply #45)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 11:49 AM

47. Mental illness can strike at any age. (nt)

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 05:13 AM

28. As I see it.

The DJ set in motion a string of events. The responsibility rests on their shoulders, no one else.

That is what being a Democrat is about. The republicans see it differently.

Reply to this post

Response to MrYikes (Reply #28)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 05:43 AM

30. Yes, I agree.

here in the USA, Rush and Sean and the others should take personal responsiblity
for their statements that could directly set someone off
(but hide cowardly and don't).

(aka the Gabby Giffords shooting).
(aka the Tom Daschle 'thraxing after being called a Devil and other names by those rightwing propagandaists)

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 05:53 AM

31. The story said that

a) hospital administration did NOT call her onto the carpet but were actually very supportive and,
b) The Royal Family did NOT complain to the hospital over the incident.

That means that, most likely, there were probably other reasons, possibly depression or, since she was in her 40's, maybe serious perimenopausal issues, or possibly other things going on in her home that led to this tragedy. The fact is, we'll probably never know.

I find using this person's tragic death to display your disdain for monarchy is beyond the pale. Just my opinion.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 05:56 AM

33. Remember when Walker got that prank call?

Nobody committed suicide either. . . damn

Reply to this post

Response to B Calm (Reply #33)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 06:28 AM

34. Sarah Palin got a prank call as well

It was like water on a duck's back

Reply to this post

Response to malaise (Reply #34)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 11:17 AM

43. Exactly. Not everyone has the gall of a Sarah Palin

Had this happened to her she'd have used it as her 15 minutes of fame. She'd be on TV being interviewed and calling for punishment for the Aussies.

Reply to this post

Response to malaise (Reply #34)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 12:08 PM

48. But this wasn't a call to Kate, William or the Queen

it was to the nurses at a hospital where someone was being treated.

There is a huge difference and if you don't see that I feel sad for you.

My husband is a nurse. It is a stressful job. This prank is beyond the pale.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 07:41 AM

38. "In the first place I wouldn't take the call."

And this is exactly why that poor woman was humiliated. Everybody blamed her for what happened, it appears. I don't think she was upset because they are royalty; more like upset because everyone was mad at her, because they are royalty.

What the DJs did was so wrong, because they invaded someone's privacy while they were at their weakest. That is wrong no matter who the victim was, but it is far worse to inflict this on people who are the objects of relentless scrutiny, such as the royal family, who must work so hard to protect their privacy.

Think of Princess Diana dying while being chased by the paparazzi, and maybe it won't seem quite so funny.

Reply to this post

Response to Chemisse (Reply #38)

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 10:30 AM

41. +brazillion.

Harry's mother did indeed come to my mind.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 11:25 AM

46. damn, who knows?

. . . that's why we try and take care with our words -- when we bother to consider their impact.

You're not all wrong, malaise.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread