HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Awesome moments in histor...

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 06:48 PM

Awesome moments in history:

http://www.kathrineswitzer.com/life

Awesome moments in history -- In 1967, Kathrine Switzer was the first woman to run the Boston marathon. After realizing that a woman was running, race organizer Jock Semple went after Switzer shouting, “Get the hell out of my race and give me those numbers.” However, Switzer’s boyfriend and other male runners provided a protective shield during the entire marathon.The photographs taken of the incident made world headlines, and Kathrine later won the NYC marathon with a time of 3:07:29. / ~ In appreciation of all you strong women and all your supportive partners out there!

3 replies, 841 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Awesome moments in history: (Original post)
The Straight Story Dec 2012 OP
Warpy Dec 2012 #1
dixiegrrrrl Dec 2012 #2
RudynJack Dec 2012 #3

Response to The Straight Story (Original post)

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 06:53 PM

1. I remember that

The laughing goon in the foreground was actually pretty unusual, a lot of male runners supported her wholeheartedly.

Thanks for posting this and reminding younger women of just how horribly restricted our lives used to be and how some of us had to fight hard to get those restrictions abolished.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 07:20 PM

2. I knew nothing of this at the time.

Thanks for providing this piece of history.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 07:24 PM

3. I remember this...

I was a child.

It was groundbreaking that a woman could run a marathon. Then, I remember Billie Jean King. Then Title IX. The world is different today, and better.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread