HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The back story behind the...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 01:41 PM

The back story behind the repukes' vote against the disability treaty

It ain't pretty.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2012/12/06/senate-republicans-profiles-in-moral-cowardice/

To begin with, a shocking number of senators changed positions on the treaty at the last minute, without telling disabled groups (including many disabled veterans’ groups) of their reversal....

Several GOP senators actually RSVPd for a reception held at the Capitol Tuesday morning to honor Dole, a disabled veteran himself, for his decades of work on behalf of the disabled community. (Kansas Sen. Pat) Roberts, along with Sens. Mike Enzi (R-WY), Johnny Isakson (R-GA), Richard Shelby (R-AL), and Chuck Grassley (R-IA) all planned to attend the ceremony honoring Dole, but didn’t show up and then voted “no” on the treaty....

In fact, Roberts and his Kansas colleague Jerry Moran voted “no” after personally promising Dole they would support the treaty....

One by one, Senators of both parties approached (Dole), with former colleagues gently resting their hands on his shoulder or reaching out to his left hand. … Then, one by one, after Dole was wheeled off the floor, most Republicans voted against the measure. Many members did not register their “nay” votes verbally, instead whispering their opposition directly to the clerk or gesturing their hands from their chairs.

I hope Bob Dole's ghost haunts Moran and Roberts after he dies.

4 replies, 760 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply The back story behind the repukes' vote against the disability treaty (Original post)
KamaAina Dec 2012 OP
Scuba Dec 2012 #1
Berlum Dec 2012 #2
djean111 Dec 2012 #3
Dyedinthewoolliberal Dec 2012 #4

Response to KamaAina (Original post)

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 01:45 PM

1. Deceitful cowards.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 01:45 PM

2. They decided that rather than act like honorable Americans, they would act like Republicans

A Republican is a republican is a republican.

Unfortunately for America and the rest of the world.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 02:04 PM

3. I think that he Tea Party has decreed that the U.N. is evil.

And that anything from them is an extension of Agenda 21.
So a GOP who votes for any U.N. stuff may be primaried.
Evidently once someone is elected to office, their most important priority is staying in office.
Or so it seems to me.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 02:36 PM

4. It's fucking disgusting

and they ought to be ashamed. This should be the lead story on the news. Since I don't watch the news I have no idea if it is. But it ought to be........

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread