HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » NDAA 2013 still allows fo...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 05:04 PM

NDAA 2013 still allows for military (indefinite) detention within the US

http://rt.com/usa/news/ndaa-military-detention-2013-365/

The law allowing for indefinite detention of Americans without trial has been stripped from next yearís National Defense Authorization Act, but tweaks to the NDAA donít mean the possibility of extrajudicial imprisonment has been eliminated for all.

When US President Barack Obama signed into law the annual defense spending bill for 2012, he acknowledged that he had reservations about a provision that allows the government to lock up any United States citizen without providing them with a trial in a court of law. Although Pres. Obama swore to not abuse that clause in such a way that Americans would be at risk of imprisonment, the White House has relentlessly challenged in federal court all efforts to remove the controversial indefinite detention clause from the NDAA. The US Senate has now approved a draft of the defense spending bill for the next fiscal year, and with it has signed off on a promise to ensure habeas corpus for all American citizens. Legal protection is not provided for unlawful immigrants and aliens, however, opening up the possibility of domestic military enforcement of draconian laws.

When the Senate voted unanimously to approve the 2013 NDAA on Tuesday, they gave the go-ahead to an amendment introduced by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-California) that on the surface resembles a surefire fix to the previous yearís provision.

(But it is said that her amendment only makes things worse. There is a dissenter.firedoglake story if you cannot for some reason stomach RT.)

4 replies, 489 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply NDAA 2013 still allows for military (indefinite) detention within the US (Original post)
Fire Walk With Me Dec 2012 OP
rhett o rick Dec 2012 #1
msongs Dec 2012 #2
jody Dec 2012 #3
Hydra Dec 2012 #4

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Original post)

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 05:06 PM

1. I dont see why anyone would be concerned, president Obama promised he wouldnt

abuse the power. It was either an Executive Order or a pinky swear, not sure which.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 05:08 PM

2. our civil rights and freedom loving president will save us..... nt

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 05:08 PM

3. That's how freedoms are lost, just one teeny bit at a time like a president claiming authority to

kill a US citizen if the president unilaterally decides the citizen is a terrorist threat.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 06:05 PM

4. I don't care if the current President never uses it

The fact that he's fighting to keep the power in there(unconstitutional power at that) means that someone down the line WILL use and abuse it.

How stupid does he think we are, anyway? He had a guy and his son killed for SPEAKING. He would NEVER disappear any of us!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread