HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Republican Strategist Cal...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 03:55 PM

Republican Strategist Calls West Point a 'Religious Institute' on HuffPost Live

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-rodda/republican-strategist-cal_b_2250971.html?utm_source=Alert-blogger&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Email+Notifications&utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false#sb=1256833,b=facebook

As the Senior Research Director at the Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF), I've known for quite a while about the incidents of religious discrimination that led to West Point Cadet Blake Page's decision to resign from the Academy -- a decision that's getting quite a bit of attention since Page's post here on HuffPost, "Why I Don't Want to Be a West Point Graduate."

I've also been reading the comments on Page's post and elsewhere, some of which are from people saying that Page's decision to resign means he didn't belong at West Point in the first place -- claiming that his resignation showed that he wouldn't make a good leader anyway. But on Tuesday, when Page appeared on HuffPost Live to explain why he's resigning from the Academy, Shirley Husar gave a different reason for thinking that Page didn't belong at West Point. Husar, identified in the HuffPost Live segment as a Republican Strategist, unwittingly confirmed exactly what Blake Page is trying to make everybody understand.

Here's what Husar said to Page:

"It looks like this was a really bad marriage for you, like you got in bed with someone and it didn't work out to well for you. But I don't understand why you have to go public in such a way. I mean, this is a religious institute and there are people who are Christians who believe in prayer and people need prayer in this country right now."

Video and more at above link.

9 replies, 923 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Republican Strategist Calls West Point a 'Religious Institute' on HuffPost Live (Original post)
Whovian Dec 2012 OP
Berlum Dec 2012 #1
LiberalLoner Dec 2012 #2
Berlum Dec 2012 #3
LiberalLoner Dec 2012 #5
jmowreader Dec 2012 #8
Kolesar Dec 2012 #4
jmowreader Dec 2012 #6
Whovian Dec 2012 #9
Canuckistanian Dec 2012 #7

Response to Whovian (Original post)

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 03:57 PM

1. The ugly face of ChristoFascism (R) emerges from the occult shadows

RepubliChristo occultism -- and its totalitarian-militaristic minions -- are a threat to all that is decent, good, and truly holy in the world.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 03:58 PM

2. Wow. Just wow. I hope we win against the Christofascists.

Reply to this post

Response to LiberalLoner (Reply #2)

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 04:00 PM

3. They knoweth that their time is short

Reply to this post

Response to Berlum (Reply #3)

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 04:07 PM

5. I can't remember exactly now, but didn't the touchdown Jesus in Ohio get struck and demolished by

lightning? I think I remember reading that. I used to see that one as I'd drive by, back when I was in Ohio for a few years. I thought that thing being struck by lightning would have been a message to the CF's but I guess they didn't get it, they rebuilt instead.

Reply to this post

Response to LiberalLoner (Reply #5)

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 04:31 PM

8. The Touchdown Jesus was the perfect example of man's hubris

TJ had a steel frame and ground rods. That's what you do when you WANT something to get hit by lightning. Then they covered it in the most flammable thing known to man and expected God to preserve it because it was a likeness of him.

It's a good thing I don't live in Ohio, because I would have been arrested for printing the story of the Golden Calf in three-inch letters on car wrap vinyl and installing it on the front door of the church.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 04:02 PM

4. We overran the continent and everybody in it,...

... it's only natural that we get to impose our religion.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 04:14 PM

6. No dear, it's a government school

It teaches its students to lead eleven-person teams of government employees who perform 75th-trimester abortions on enemy soldiers, terrorists and anyone else threatening The American Way of Life.

If the article had been titled "Why I don't want to be a Liberty University graduate," I could see her point - yes, that is a Christian institution and someone who's not willing to take a bullet for Jesus need not apply. West Point is different; spirituality has always been part of the course but "how to violate the Second Commandment in wholesale fashion from the other side of that ridge" (the military term is "calling in artillery") has also always been part of the course.

Reply to this post

Response to jmowreader (Reply #6)

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 06:00 PM

9. Wow. Bingo!

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 04:19 PM

7. Invading other countries is their sacrament

So I can see his confusion.

But as long as there's a Separation Clause, it's still officially a secular government school.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread