HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Of witch hunts and the F-...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 01:31 AM

Of witch hunts and the F---ing TOS

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Violet_Crumble (a host of the General Discussion forum).

Ok, we are all going to express anger here, and we have a right to be outraged at times. This month, we saw outrage when someone dared ask if raping girls when drunk actually meant rape. The community let the person have it both barrels, and deservedly so.

But sure enough, there is the OTHER extreme:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021934131

Now, it should nto matter if someone if a whatever type of ist, you do NOT violate the terms of service by trying to out someone on a forum.

DOES ANYONE BOTHER TO READ THE F---ING ToS?

ANYONE?

Now, we are adults, dammit, adults who just recently got a reminder of why we need to work TOGETHER. Only our ability to work together kept Mitt Romney from winning the election! Only our ability to work together will keep Obama from going all "bipartisan" again..

But here we are, barely one month after winning, ad the atmosphere here at DU is tense and caustic, you could cut the tension with a knife.

And yes, I know the trolls did a bit of damage
and yes, there is a lot of room to discuss whether the jury system needs to be revised or outright replaced.

But there is no problem here that cannot be avoided if people actually read and obeyed the bloody ToS, like the adults we all claim to be.

Please, let us NOT do our enemies job for them, please..

3 replies, 528 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Of witch hunts and the F---ing TOS (Original post)
DonCoquixote Dec 2012 OP
Warpy Dec 2012 #1
kiva Dec 2012 #2
Violet_Crumble Dec 2012 #3

Response to DonCoquixote (Original post)

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 01:53 AM

1. It has to be a full on personal attack before I'll vote to hide,

usually with hard fighting discriminatory language, or something else like insisting people vote third party or that some Republican idiocy or other should be preferred over Democratic principles and even the latter can be a close call, better answered than hidden.

The Self Appointed Guardians of Approved Thought and Language are the people who should be hit with TOS violations.

I'm a grownup. If I wince at the occasional word, it's a small price to pay for a board with largely open discussions. We're all supposed to be grownups here.

SCE has more friends here than detractors. He needs to come back. I'm sure there are a lot of very narrow little boards out there the complainer would find better suited to going through life unoffended.

(Yeah, I didn't think the Superman thing was funny, big woop, but it also wasn't worth making any sort of a stink over. Men and women find different things funny. Deal.)

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Warpy (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 02:14 AM

2. I get your philosophy,

but I think that putting someone's real name out there on a public message board when they did not give you permission is way beyond an attack.

Response to DonCoquixote (Original post)

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 02:14 AM

3. Locking...

This belongs in Meta...