HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Enslaved Children Freed A...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 08:16 PM

Enslaved Children Freed After Being Forced to Make Christmas decorations

Police and child advocates broke padlocks and busted down doors in a surprise raid of a sweatshop in India, only to find a group of children imprisoned who had been forced to make Christmas decorations.

The children, as young as 8 years old, were kept in rooms approximately six feet by six feet and had been forced to work up to 19-hour days making the decorations, which advocates believe may have been intended to be sold on the cheap in the United States.

Human rights group Global March for Children led the raid, but also got help from former British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, who now serves as the United Nations special envoy for global education.

The 14 children who were freed are now in the process of being reunited with their families, who are scattered across India...

Ribhu warns, however, there are some tell-tale warning signs American consumers can be on the lookout for if they wish to avoid purchasing products made with child labor... if the holiday decorations you are purchasing are not labeled with the country they are made in ... if they have an unusually low price and are marked as "hand made" it is another red flag.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/newsmakers/enslaved-children-freed-after-being-forced-to-make-christmas-decorations-potentially-headed-for-us-194625049.html

8 replies, 1210 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Enslaved Children Freed After Being Forced to Make Christmas decorations (Original post)
HiPointDem Dec 2012 OP
robinlynne Dec 2012 #1
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #2
robinlynne Dec 2012 #4
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #5
robinlynne Dec 2012 #6
Permanut Dec 2012 #3
Blue_Tires Dec 2012 #7
Ganja Ninja Dec 2012 #8

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 08:30 PM

1. I have noticed the "hand made" on obviously factory made items recently.

I am an artisan, and I make paper goods. Stores are always trying to get me to lower the prices to less than a dollar for a card, which takes 20 or 30 minutes to make. They show me other "hand made cards". there is a large hand made. If I look hard enough I find the "made in china" in tiny letters.

When I show them that they are made in china, where the women who work for Bain Capital earn 99cents for a 12 hour day, they shrug and say "it says hand made". OFten they say in large letters designed in the USA, and very small made in china way down at the bottom.

I.E. I am agreeing with this OP.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to robinlynne (Reply #1)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 08:44 PM

2. I got it. slave labor drives everyone's wages down.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #2)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 11:21 PM

4. That's not what I meant. But you know that.

Reply to this post

Response to robinlynne (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 01:32 AM

5. i think you must have misinterpreted me. i meant i understood your post & added the comment that

slave labor drives everyone's wages down; because it does.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #5)

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 02:11 PM

6. Thanks.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 11:03 PM

3. It's all part of the war on Christmas, I tell ya..

Now where the hell am I gonna get some cheap, cheesy decorations? Oh, wait, there's always the cheap and cheesy crap from China, Vietnam, Indonesia.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 02:12 PM

7. disaster capitalism at work...

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 02:17 PM

8. Walmart strikes again.

I'd bet money on it.

Reply to this post