HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Study: African lion popul...

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 01:26 PM

Study: African lion population shrinks to 32,000

Study: African lion population shrinks to 32,000]
The savannah habitat that ­sustains African lions has shrunk by 75 percent over the past ­half-century, according to a study published Tuesday in the journal Biodiversity and Conservation, a dramatic loss that could threaten the species’ survival.

The new analysis by American, African and British researchers — which suggests the continent’s lion population has declined from 100,000 to roughly 32,000 over 50 years — provides a clear picture of where the animals now live and how major land-use changes and population growth have put them in jeopardy.

“It’s a shock,” said Duke University professor for conservation ecology Stuart Pimm, one of the paper’s co-authors. “Savannah ­Africa has been massively reduced. . . . As moved in, lions have been hunted out.”

The findings come just one week after the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announced it will study whether African lions should be listed under the Endangered Species Act, a move that would end the importation of trophies into the United States. Several groups petitioned the agency last year to list the species, though some conservationists ­argue trophy hunting provides a source of revenue to local communities, which helps keep savannah habitat intact.

PB

7 replies, 828 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Study: African lion population shrinks to 32,000 (Original post)
Poll_Blind Dec 2012 OP
aaaaaa5a Dec 2012 #1
polly7 Dec 2012 #2
Hayabusa Dec 2012 #4
polly7 Dec 2012 #6
Hayabusa Dec 2012 #7
underoath Dec 2012 #3
joeybee12 Dec 2012 #5

Response to Poll_Blind (Original post)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 01:42 PM

1. This is so sad.

The cheetah population is even worse. We will be the last generation to see the Serengeti as it should be.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 01:55 PM

2. It is very sad.

I just find it so unbelievable that anyone could think having a trophy of one of these endangered animals was ok. How arrogant and clueless do you have to be? It makes me sick.

Reply to this post

Response to polly7 (Reply #2)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 02:56 PM

4. I've always wanted to go and line up my sites, getting the perfect shot lined up and then...

snap the picture. That's what the real trophies should be, not lifeless heads or hides upon a wall, but a still image of one of nature's greatest creations in their natural habitat.

Reply to this post

Response to Hayabusa (Reply #4)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 08:04 PM

6. I can imagine how rewarding that is.

Thanks for being one of the good ones.

Reply to this post

Response to polly7 (Reply #6)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 11:33 PM

7. I wish I could afford to go to Africa

and take photos there. Right now, I'll have to settle for squirrels and hope that the deer in the nearby wooded area will pay us a visit where I can get my camera on it.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 02:01 PM

3. So horrible!

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 03:03 PM

5. This sucks...and since lions are larger than some of the other cats that live there...

It no doubt has affected them as well.

We humans suck.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread