HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Insightful about the mind...

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 11:23 AM

Insightful about the minds of some who sound ignorant "even when they aren't" LTE in my paper today

This LTE in my paper caught my eye, and then there was the cartoon illustrating some of it.

Learning lessons
A colleague surprised me by saying he would vote for Mitt Romney because a conservative would do more to reduce the debt. I thought my colleague knew better. Soon after, a letter in the Journal cited history clearly suggesting liberals are more effective improving the economy (“Conservatives,” Nov. 2). I considered sending it to him, but didn't. It wouldn't have helped because lowering the debt wasn't his real reason.

Folks who are well-read and bright, like my colleague, know to avoid being up-front about their difficult-to-defend notions. Instead, they give made-up but hopefully more defensible reasons for their voting preferences. But doing that makes them sound ignorant when they aren't.

Republicans lost badly because a few weren't well informed or smart enough to keep to themselves glimpses into their false beliefs. So we heard the foolish, disrespectful comments about the “47 percent” and “legitimate rape.”
The Republican Party leadership has learned a lesson from its losses: be even more deceptive regarding its unpopular policies. The lesson the rest of us must learn is to not take seriously what's said by such conservatives but pay close attention to their actions.
Since the election, Sen. John McCain, an elderly white male, publicly advised Republicans to be more respectful of people who're different. Evidently not taking his own advice, McCain has been treating disrespectfully a young African-American woman (U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice) for a reason that makes little sense, other than as a petty act of revenge.

RICHARD TERRY LOVELACE
Winston-Salem Dec. 5, 2012

www.journalnow.com

6 replies, 886 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Insightful about the minds of some who sound ignorant "even when they aren't" LTE in my paper today (Original post)
Mira Dec 2012 OP
OffWithTheirHeads Dec 2012 #1
ashling Dec 2012 #2
Mira Dec 2012 #3
ashling Dec 2012 #4
Mira Dec 2012 #5
ashling Dec 2012 #6

Response to Mira (Original post)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 11:50 AM

1. Love your sig line Mira!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Mira (Original post)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 12:18 PM

2. I read it pretty fast (for me) and I admit I need new glasses, but

I think that the LTE called John McCain a whore.

Did I read that right?

not that I disagree.

edit to say: I love your sig line too

Reply to this post

Response to ashling (Reply #2)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 01:07 PM

3. About your own signature line

it's wonderful. Very thought provoking.
I don't suppose the letter writer meant to imply that John Mc Cain is a whore.
Though I also would not fault him if he had.

Reply to this post

Response to Mira (Reply #3)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 02:26 PM

4. Not a construction/abbreviation that you see a lot

"who're" . . . . and as a comm. college instructor I see more than my fair share of strange misspellings and ungrammatical constructions. LOL

Reply to this post

Response to ashling (Reply #4)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 07:07 PM

5. Ohhhh,

every now and then it still rears up and bites me that English is my second language.

Reply to this post

Response to Mira (Reply #5)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 08:17 PM

6. I didn't mean to imply that it was wrong

Actually, now that I think of it, I hear it a lot . . . I just don't think I have seen it much . . .

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread