HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » What is Federal Jury Serv...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 08:25 AM

What is Federal Jury Service?

I've just got a notice that they want me to serve for five weeks and have no clue what to expect.

I know some of you have served, so edumacate me.

5 replies, 550 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to DCKit (Original post)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 08:27 AM

1. Means you're a potential juror in a Federal court instead of a local or state court.

Pays better than local jury duty.
About 30 years ago I got a notice and local jury duty paid $8 for showing up. The federal one paid $35 at the time.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to hobbit709 (Reply #1)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 08:30 AM

2. Wow, I'm rich. They've raised it to $40/day + $7 for transportation. nt

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 08:38 AM

3. I served on a federal jury two years ago.

They picked up all my transportation costs which were considerably more than $7/day, so that stipend must depend on your location. The cases you will be called for will be federal crimes; the jury I served on convicted 3 con men of bilking investors out of $22M in just under 14 months. They were all found guilty and three (2 recidivists) received jail terms of varying lengths the longest of which was 83 years + 30 years probation. Another case they had a hard time finding unbiased jurors for was one involving the interstate transportation of minors to perform sex acts with pedophiles. It was an interesting and affirming experience and all of the jurors felt that we had done good work in removing the wrongdoers from society. It should be a very interesting experience for you.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 09:28 AM

4. I've had JuryDuty 5 times, ask me anything about it.

On the Federal side I've only served on one Jury, but it was a Federal Grand Jury and it lasted a full year. By the way, they paid me milage plus $50 a day if I remember correctly.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 09:29 AM

5. Service on a jury in the federal court. No different. Just a fancier court room more than likely

deliberating on fed. charges.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread