HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » After creationism bill fa...

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 08:11 AM

After creationism bill failed, Indiana senator will push 'truth in education' measure

After creationism bill failed, Indiana senator will push 'truth in education' measure

Sen. Dennis Kruse, who tried and failed in the last legislative session to let schools teach creationism along with evolution, said Tuesday he’s trying a new approach: Requiring teachers to provide evidence if students challenge their science lessons.

Kruse, an Auburn Republican who is chairman of the Senate Education and Career Development Committee, said he will dub it “truth in education.”

“If a student thinks something isn’t true, then they can question the teacher and the teacher would have to come up with some kind of research to support that what they are teaching is true or not true.”

This, he said, “will be a totally different approach. It won’t mention religion. It won’t mention creation. It will just basically try to establish truth in our public schools.”

http://www.indystar.com/article/20121204/NEWS05/212040324?nclick_check=1

6 replies, 591 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply After creationism bill failed, Indiana senator will push 'truth in education' measure (Original post)
The Straight Story Dec 2012 OP
hobbit709 Dec 2012 #1
tanyev Dec 2012 #2
LisaLynne Dec 2012 #3
HereSince1628 Dec 2012 #4
dballance Dec 2012 #5
sadbear Dec 2012 #6

Response to The Straight Story (Original post)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 08:12 AM

1. This idiot wouldn't recognize truth if it bit him on the ass-repeatedly.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 08:15 AM

2. Truth in education would be much easier if you simply got out of the way, Senator.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 08:15 AM

3. The reasoning behind this in this idiot's mind is then what?

That there isn't any "research" pointing to the validity of evolution? He may be in for a surprise there ...

I was raised in a fundamentalist church and I am telling you, they really think there is no evidence for evolution, so I bet that is exactly what this person is thinking. Idiot.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 08:34 AM

4. Indiana needs a law for this?

Teaching students to seek evidence and better explanation is a basic behavioral objective of science education.

I suspect his anxiety about authoritarian teachers just making shit up is a projection from a worldview dominated by people pushing made up shit...which is to say Mr Kruse is showing symptoms of watching way too much Fox News.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 08:54 AM

5. He's going to have a hell of a time finding studies that support creationism

Or anything in the Bible for that matter.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 09:39 AM

6. Maybe after that, he can push a 'truth in broadcast journalism' measure.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread