HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » We've had a lot of thread...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 07:01 PM

We've had a lot of threads about men and women lately. This one is NOT about rape.

It's about violence against women. Many of us know the author, Goldie Taylor, as a guest on various MSNBC shows. She writes about her own harrowing experience at the hands of her abuser.,as well as other women she has known who were abused or killed. Among the shocking statistics she includes is that the number one cause of death of pregnant women is homicide.

Many people wrote, as one poster said, without much emphaty for victims. Perhaps reading Goldie's story will help all understand better what it means to be a woman in a culture which can be very violent. (yes, I am a woman.)

http://tv.msnbc.com/2012/12/03/i-ran-out-half-naked-and-bleeding-i-tell-my-story-because-kasi-cannot-tell-hers/

2 replies, 528 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply We've had a lot of threads about men and women lately. This one is NOT about rape. (Original post)
s-cubed Dec 2012 OP
upaloopa Dec 2012 #1
mercuryblues Dec 2012 #2

Response to s-cubed (Original post)

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 07:40 PM

1. No matter what you say in these or rape or gun threads

someone is always waiting to kick your ass.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to s-cubed (Original post)

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 08:22 PM

2. If you are a black woman

According to the CDC, black women have a maternal homicide risk about seven times that of white women. Black women ages 25-29 are about 11 times more likely as white women in that age group to be murdered while pregnant or in the year after childbirth.

<snip>

According to the National Domestic Violence Hotline, 324,000 women each year experience intimate partner violence during their pregnancy. Of these women, 30 percent say the first incident occurs during pregnancy. If a woman is in an abusive or controlling relationship, a pregnancy can make a relationship all the more volatile.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-201_162-4009249.html

As with most cases, there are he was wonderful guy type comments, right up until he killed her.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread