HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Best person in the world ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 06:19 PM

Best person in the world Princess Mette Marit of Norway

http://news.yahoo.com/norway-princess-secret-india-trip-play-nanny-154100003.html

Norway's Crown Princess Mette-Marit secretly traveled to India in order to care for infant twins born to the surrogate mother of a gay palace employee unable to get a travel visa, the palace said on Monday.

Armed with a diplomatic passport that granted her immediate access, the future queen jumped on a plane in late October when the employee, who is also a friend, and his husband were unable to travel to care for their newborns.

"For me, this is about two babies lying alone in a New Delhi hospital," Mette-Marit said in a statement. "I was able to travel and wanted to do what I could."

She did not alert Indian authorities and spent several days with the babies at the Manav Medicare Centre, where staff assumed the wife of Norway's Crown Prince Haakon was a nanny.

While the princess was away, her name continued to appear in the official palace calendar and her absence from a parliamentary dinner was not explained.

end quote

Just an astonishing story.

19 replies, 3032 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 19 replies Author Time Post
Reply Best person in the world Princess Mette Marit of Norway (Original post)
dsc Dec 2012 OP
hedgehog Dec 2012 #1
dipsydoodle Dec 2012 #2
joeybee12 Dec 2012 #3
MinneapolisMatt Dec 2012 #4
JNelson6563 Dec 2012 #5
renate Dec 2012 #6
Diclotican Dec 2012 #12
freshwest Dec 2012 #15
Manifestor_of_Light Dec 2012 #17
sulphurdunn Dec 2012 #7
Diclotican Dec 2012 #10
sulphurdunn Dec 2012 #18
REP Dec 2012 #8
WillyT Dec 2012 #9
Liberal_in_LA Dec 2012 #11
Diclotican Dec 2012 #13
KoKo Dec 2012 #14
Rowdyboy Dec 2012 #16
marshall Dec 2012 #19

Response to dsc (Original post)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 06:23 PM

1. Beautiful!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 06:24 PM

2. Royalty at its most caring.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 06:25 PM

3. Thats' what royalty should be abd do in this day and age...knr

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 06:59 PM

4. How awesome!

Very good thing to do on her part.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 07:26 PM

5. A truly noble royal.

Beautiful.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 07:26 PM

6. they both sound pretty cool

Crown Prince Haakon could have had his pick from millions of women (he's pretty cute, plus that HRH and future-king thing ain't too shabby) and he didn't let her (reported) drug-addiction past keep him from marrying the woman he loved.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1504492.stm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_of_Haakon,_Crown_Prince_of_Norway,_and_Mette-Marit_Tjessem_H%C3%B8iby

The way she didn't stand on ceremony or pull rank when doing this sweet thing for her friend suggests that he made a good decision.

I just love it when people who don't have to do nice things do them anyway.

Reply to this post

Response to renate (Reply #6)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 09:10 PM

12. renate

renate

Crown Prince Håkon married the woman he wanted, and loved rather than the opposite, marriage a woman who might be more "suitable" but that he was not in love with.. I think both our King and Queen understood that, as themselves had to fight to get married in the 1960s... It was not until the late 1960s they was able to get marriage - as our King Olav, was not sure about the constitutional things about marriage to a commoner - and I suspect maybe the time was not right in the early 1960s.. But when Harald was stating that he would rather loose the crown, rather than loose Sonja - the current Queen, it was a matter of making the Kingdom survive - and after a lot of back and forward between the Parliament and the royal court, it was deiced it was accepted - and they was marriages to each other - and they are still in love, after many years... That in its self is a good thing I suspect...

It was a little fuzz (to make a understatement) about the past of our current Crown Princess - but in all most of Norwegians accepted the fact that she have had a "colorfully past" as it was put.... It is never been documented any drug addictions from the crown princess - even though she have admitted to have had a "problematic" past"... But she was shown the door, and today I think we is lucky to have a crown princess, who is rather down to earth - and maybe also a person who is able to make her man, the crown prince looking down to earth, even though he is born to the purple himself...

I think Norway is just lucky about having them both as crown prince family, and I also believe they would be great king and queen when that time comes - Hopefully our current King will be king for a long time yet.. But when the time comes - I think they will do great.

And is someone seeing that he looks like his great great father Haakon VII?...

Diclotican

Reply to this post

Response to Diclotican (Reply #12)

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 12:45 AM

15. I enjoy your stories, Dictlotican. I have a great friend in Trondheim, I learn from her, too.

Reply to this post

Response to renate (Reply #6)

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 01:51 AM

17. Yes, he is cute!!

Lots cuter than say, the eldest son of QE II.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 07:27 PM

7. Guests of friends from Norway

have told me about meeting the King walking down the street or shopping in a supermarket alone. Apparently he has a fondness for turtleneck sweaters.

Reply to this post

Response to sulphurdunn (Reply #7)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 08:57 PM

10. sulphurdunn

sulphurdunn

Bumped myself into the King a few years ago - in the woods at Skaugum (look it up at google earth) He was walking with his wife, the queen - and I was happened to walking the opposite way... Turning around a corner - and there them was both of them - I said something to the degree of shit, and the King was chuckling.... and asked why I said that - I said, after I got myself together, that I was not exactly expected to se the King and Queen out there in the woods... He understood that - and I was able to talk to him, and his wife the Queen for almost 20 minutes (she was little stiff - but he was a great person) and I wished them well - and they was walking down the road as they was just ordinary people walking around in the woods... Of course they might have had some police surveillance around them - but I was not able to se anyone.. Even though I was asked by a person, who might was part of the security detail around the royal family about what I had experienced, they just asked about my name, where I lived and so one - and what I was doing out there.. I asked I was just walking about - and I bumped into both the queen and the king... He was not intruding and insulting, just asking some questionings about it all... And I guess I answered right, as I'm still a free man

And yes, you can experience the King and Queen walking down the streets or shopping in a supermarket rather alone, and quiet.. Most cases you are not even able to se who he is - and if you do, you for the most part, just let them alone... And I think it is rather cool to know that our King, our Queen, and our Crown prince family can live their life as "Normal" as it is possible, even when they are royals.. Our King and Queen is often been seen going to the cinemas who is nearby - and they just look as ordinary people, without all the show of force you can experience otherwise... No caravane of 16 cars with blue lights, sirene and a small army around them for the most part.... It is a policy going all the way back to our first modern King, Haakon the 7th, who desied of a small footprint when he was around the country... And it works.. Even though it was before 9/11 2001, and before 22 of july 2011.. It is a sad fact, as the world goes more dangrous - the security around our royal familiy wil be more secure - and it wil be less safe to just bump into them as I did...

I have even talked to our late King Olav, as I was wisiting the office where my grandfather was working (in the army) and the King was just happening to walk by.. I don't rembember to mutch about it, but I have been told about it later on...

Diclotican

Reply to this post

Response to Diclotican (Reply #10)

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 06:49 AM

18. Thanks

for confirming my friend's stories.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 07:51 PM

8. They both seem like extremely decent people

Not that I look for such items, but the few things I've heard about Haakon and Mette-Marit have been about them doing gracious things in non-self serving ways.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 07:55 PM

9. Thank You For That !!! - K & R !!!

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 08:58 PM

11. k&r

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 09:15 PM

13. dsc

dsc

She has style - no doubt about it... I suspect no one was aware that she was out of the country, and in India in fact.. And somehow I also suspect, that it was meant to be like that - that no one should know about it.. The royal court can be very secretive if they want to - and I suspect this was one of the cases where the royal court managed to just let her slip true the cracks, no one noticed for a long time...

I think our Crown Princess Mette-Marit have a great heart - and I think we as a nation is lucky to have her as our crown princess..

Diclotican

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 09:19 PM

14. Fascinating...K&R!

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 01:44 AM

16. A very lovely story.....what a genuine sweetheart.....

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 07:09 AM

19. I wonder if she is also the egg donor?

I suppose it would come out eventually, but she sounds ver generous with her time and resources.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread