HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » color me shocked!!!! Hou...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 04:52 PM

color me shocked!!!! House GOP proposal on fiscal cliff rejects Obama's tax plan

Washington (CNN) -- Negotiations on a deal to avoid the fiscal cliff got a jump-start on Monday with House Republicans offering a counter-proposal to President Barack Obama, but continuing to reject his call for higher tax rates on the wealthy.

The GOP proposal would result in $2.2 trillion in deficit savings over the next decade, including $800 billion from tax reform, $600 billion from Medicare reforms and other health savings, and $600 billion in other spending cuts, House GOP leadership aides told reporters.

House Speaker John Boehner called it a "credible plan that deserves serious consideration by the White House."

House GOP offers fiscal cliff counterproposal

The move followed a weekend of accusations by both sides that the other was not serious about reaching a deal to avoid the automatic tax hikes and spending cuts scheduled to take effect January 1 -- what is known as the fiscal cliff that economists say will damage U.S. growth.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/03/politics/fiscal-cliff/index.html

2 replies, 1298 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply color me shocked!!!! House GOP proposal on fiscal cliff rejects Obama's tax plan (Original post)
spanone Dec 2012 OP
leftstreet Dec 2012 #1
rbixby Dec 2012 #2

Response to spanone (Original post)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 04:53 PM

1. There is no fiscal cliff n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to spanone (Original post)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 05:15 PM

2. At least its something

Its hard to have a negotiation when the other side offers nothing but rejections for your plan.

Looks like a nonstarter to me though.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread