HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Don't trust the BBB email...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 02:24 PM

Don't trust the BBB emails coming 'round, they're not real!

Owner/Manager

The Better Business Bureau has received the above-referenced complaint from one of your customers regarding their dealings with you. The details of the consumer's concern are included on the reverse. Please review this matter and advise us of your position.

As a neutral third party, the Better Business Bureau can help to resolve the matter. Often complaints are a result of misunderstandings a company wants to know about and correct.

In the interest of time and good customer relations, please provide the BBB with written verification of your position in this matter by December 05, 2012. Your prompt response will allow BBB to be of service to you and your customer in reaching a mutually agreeable resolution. Please inform us if you have contacted your customer directly and already resolved this matter.

The Better Business Bureau develops and maintains Reliability Reports on companies across the United States and Canada . This information is available to the public and is frequently used by potential customers. Your cooperation in responding to this complaint becomes a permanent part of your file with the Better Business Bureau. Failure to promptly give attention to this matter may be reflected in the report we give to consumers about your company.

We encourage you to print this complaint (attached file), answer the questions and respond to us.

We look forward to your prompt attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

BBB Serving Metropolitan New York, Long Island and the Mid-Hudson Region

This is the body of a letter I received NOT from the bbb. Since the email this was received at is for an old name for my biz, and since I've hardly had any paid business in a couple years, I called bbb about this BEFORE opening the attached "complaint". As I suspected it is scam with some sort of likely worm, trojan, or whatnot, so ....

PLEASE if you are a business owner, please do NOT open any attachments that suggest BBB has a complaint against you, just call them directly to inquire, they were happy to help (ie look up the case # to determine if it's legit) as this is an escalating issue for them.

10 replies, 1190 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Don't trust the BBB emails coming 'round, they're not real! (Original post)
Lionessa Dec 2012 OP
TDale313 Dec 2012 #1
onyourleft Dec 2012 #2
Lionessa Dec 2012 #3
Lionessa Dec 2012 #4
onyourleft Dec 2012 #5
Lionessa Dec 2012 #6
KoKo Dec 2012 #7
cthulu2016 Dec 2012 #8
Lionessa Dec 2012 #9
KoKo Dec 2012 #10

Response to Lionessa (Original post)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 02:32 PM

1. Thank you for the heads up. n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 02:40 PM

2. Thank you...

...for the post. These have been hitting my in box for quite some time. There are also some supposedly from an airline regarding "your ticket" as well as from delivery services regarding "your delivery."

Reply to this post

Response to onyourleft (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 02:49 PM

3. You're very welcome.

Everyone needs to watch out this time of year as we get so distracted with other stuff and our emails are flooded with useless though legitimate emails from all manner of entities.

Reply to this post

Response to onyourleft (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 02:55 PM

4. I got one of those delivery service ones and it's story is really bizarre, ...

Rather than click on the email link, I went straight to USPS since I have an account. Looked up the tracking number of a package I neither sent nor was expecting to receive. Lo and behold, there was such a package apparently, but it was really weird... though it had supposedly been sent on dayX from N.Carolina as a ground pkg, it made it in 24 hours to
Atlanta, San Francisco, and then to Prescott,AZ and lastly to Virginia somewhere, in 24hours.

Again not quite trusting any of this, I called the USPS directly and explained my confusion. They too saw what I saw and had no explanation, but the point is, however this scam was happening, they managed to actually get stuff entered into the USPS system directly. Anyway, USPS never called back and I never heard another word about it, but it's chilling to think these scams are getting so sophisticated that they can hack the USPS and USPS was oblivious to it.

Reply to this post

Response to Lionessa (Reply #4)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 03:12 PM

5. That is...

...disturbing. Frankly, it never occurred to me to check as I didn't think there would truly be a "package" out there in the tracking system. Although you didn't hear from USPS again, I hope they are pursuing this scam internally.

Reply to this post

Response to onyourleft (Reply #5)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 03:21 PM

6. I know, right at first the lady was...

saying "well, ma'am you must be getting a package, it left NC yesterday and I see it.... I see it... WTHECK! Wait a minute, it couldn't have gone all those places in less than a day even for overnight, and this is a ground tracking number.... Hang on I'm getting my supervisor."

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 03:22 PM

7. Got that one this a.m. in e-mal..My AVG anti-virus zapped it...

I got a message from United Airlines about a month ago.. My Earthlink zapped that one.

I guess these scams with virus/malware are on the rise.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 03:25 PM

8. Shorter Version: Don't open unsolicited email attachments. Ever.

Reply to this post

Response to cthulu2016 (Reply #8)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 03:33 PM

9. True enough but this one looked quite realistic and all links were in

fact to the BBB site, so it could fool a few and I thought I'd mention it as this time of year we are all pretty overwhelmed with tons of stuff and might not be thinking a sensibly as all that.

Reply to this post

Response to Lionessa (Reply #9)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 04:33 PM

10. Yes...it did look real and we have our own business..so it was concernining, but

fortunately the AVG zapped it with warning before I even thought to click on it.

We notified one of our partners about it and so thanks for posting this here. I never open unsolicited mail, but I guess they are getting more sophisticated in ways to target even business mail.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread