HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » UK's austerity will conti...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 04:08 AM

UK's austerity will continue into 2018, economic minister says

Austerity measures will have to continue until at least 2018, George Osborne signalled yesterday – as he finalised plans for a pensions raid on the better off and a fresh round of benefit cuts.

In a gloomy analysis ahead of this week’s Autumn Statement on the economy, the Chancellor warned that tackling the vast deficit left by Labour would take longer than predicted, involving further years of spending cuts and tax rises.

A Coalition row was still raging last night over how far to go in squeezing benefit payments and clobbering the pensions of higher-rate taxpayers.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2242024/Austerity-drive-2018-hints-Osborne-plans-pension-raid-rich-fresh-benefits-cuts.html#ixzz2DyiBa0y7
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

5 replies, 584 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply UK's austerity will continue into 2018, economic minister says (Original post)
HiPointDem Dec 2012 OP
tama Dec 2012 #1
daa Dec 2012 #2
tama Dec 2012 #5
marmar Dec 2012 #3
tama Dec 2012 #4

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 04:35 AM

1. Why

is the popular resistance and response to austerity so much weaker in UK (and in Ireland?) than in Mediterranean countries?

National character? Cool britons vs. hot blood levantines? Or just behind the curve?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to tama (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 09:02 AM

2. Why is resistance nonexistent in the US?

A huge majority voted and said leave Medicare and social security alone. Yet here are the dems leading the way with $400 billion in Medicare cuts.

Reply to this post

Response to daa (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 09:46 AM

5. It's not nonexistant

there is Occupy movement and much else. But I'm not surprised that those who still put their faith and hope in the representative system and Democratic party get disappointed, again and again and again.

Reply to this post

Response to tama (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 09:03 AM

3. I have a feeling that will change.

nt

Reply to this post

Response to marmar (Reply #3)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 09:43 AM

4. I trust you are right nt

Reply to this post