HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Irony plus two. Dept. of...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 12:19 AM

Irony plus two. Dept. of Homeland Security to move into abandoned "Insane Asylum."

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The Federal Government plans to embark on its the largest construction project in 70 years, creating a headquarters for DHS. The abandoned St. Elizabeth's hospital campus is to be renovated so that freedom-stomping bureaucrats from 22 Federal agencies can all be united on one location.

Right now it is estimated that it will cost taxpayers $3,600,000,000 to build the Feds thei
r new offices inside this castle-like structure.

http://www.federalnewsradio.com/?nid=699&sid=2559915

http://publicintelligence.net/the-department-of-homeland-securitys-new-hq-is-an-abandoned-insane-asylum/

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/sep/24/nation/la-na-homeland-security-hq-20110924

10 replies, 1789 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Irony plus two. Dept. of Homeland Security to move into abandoned "Insane Asylum." (Original post)
Whovian Dec 2012 OP
bettyellen Dec 2012 #1
lob1 Dec 2012 #2
catnhatnh Dec 2012 #3
ReRe Dec 2012 #9
freshwest Dec 2012 #10
think Dec 2012 #4
bluedigger Dec 2012 #5
OldDem2012 Dec 2012 #6
2naSalit Dec 2012 #7
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #8

Response to Whovian (Original post)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 12:23 AM

1. that's going to make a great film some day, LOL.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to bettyellen (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 12:36 AM

2. Freddy Krugar will be in it.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 12:41 AM

3. Perfect...

we held a poet there for 12 years after we broke his mind by holding him in a 6x6 outdoor steel cage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezra_Pound

Reply to this post

Response to catnhatnh (Reply #3)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 03:34 AM

9. Ha!

This is exactly what came to my mind when I read the intro...Ezra Pound was there. More of a political dissident, though, wasn't he? Wasn't Mary Todd Lincoln in an institution for a while after Abe passed? Can't remember where that was. (In DC or around Chicago?) Will run and see if I can find any other famous or infamous people who spent time in the institution. Seems like there's someone else?

Reply to this post

Response to catnhatnh (Reply #3)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 03:39 AM

10. Interesting what happened years before and after that, from the link:

Outraged by the loss of life during the First World War, he lost faith in England, blaming the war on usury and international capitalism. He moved to Italy in 1924, where throughout the 1930s and 1940s, to his friends' dismay, he embraced Benito Mussolini's fascism, expressed support for Adolf Hitler and wrote for publications owned by Oswald Mosley. The Italian government paid him during the Second World War to make hundreds of radio broadcasts criticizing the United States, as a result of which he was arrested for treason by American forces in Italy in 1945. He spent months in detention in a U.S. military camp in Pisa, including 25 days in a six-by-six-foot outdoor steel cage that he said triggered a mental breakdown, "when the raft broke and the waters went over me." Deemed unfit to stand trial, he was incarcerated in St. Elizabeths psychiatric hospital in Washington, D.C., for over 12 years.

Appeared to be a strong admirer of Hitler, Mussolini, blamed the Jews for everything and was friends with one of the leaders of the KKK. So many of these same threads we see repeated in this era in America and abroad right now with little changes. He had an extradinary life and many friends who helped him throughout his life. At least he got to live out his latter years in Italy.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 12:50 AM

4. Awesome. Only $3.6 billion. What else can we waste money on?.....

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 01:52 AM

5. Ha!

I worked outside the grounds of St. Elizabeth's in the 90's. We were doing an archaeological survey for the last Metro station to be built in DC. It was the last one because it was the worst neighborhood in DC. We were five blocks from the murder epicenter of the city. (We found the remains of a Civil War era field hospital.)

Every day or so plain clothes detectives would come by to see that we were okay and admonish us to be gone by dark. One day I asked one of them what the gunfire I had heard earlier was about. "It was nothing. Just some kids over at the Middle School".

Another time my coworkers watched a guy scale the 8' foot concertina topped fence that separated our work site from the hospital grounds proper and walk off down the street. They didn't feel inclined to stop a criminally insane person.

And then there was the morning my boss got propositioned on the way to work (7AM) by two prostitutes a block from the site. "No thanks, I have to get to work."

I think DHS will be very happy there.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 01:53 AM

6. While my Dad was in transit to Europe during WWII....

...at the Bolling US Army Air Force Base in 1944, he and a group of fellow airmen used to walk up to the common fence they shared with the St. Elizabeth's Mental Asylum and talk with the patients. They noticed one patient who always watched what was going on but never took part in the activities. Dad finally asked him why he never said anything, and the guy basically said, "You're going off to fight in a war and I'm going to be in here for the duration. Now who's crazy?" Dad never went back to talk to the patients.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 02:21 AM

7. Sheesh

what are the chances of that piece of irony being actually considered during the planning? Who'd a thunk it?

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 03:16 AM

8. St. Elizabeth's: home of the lobotomy & cold war truth serum experimentation. fitting location.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread