HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Was Rafiki in the Lion Ki...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 10:34 PM

Was Rafiki in the Lion King talking about President Obama way back in 1994? The winds are changing

From the Lion King (c)-
Rafiki: What was *that*?

Rafiki: The weather - Pbbbah! Very peculiar. Don't you think?
Adult Simba: Yeah. Looks like the winds are changing.
Rafiki: Ahhh. Change is good.

the writers of the Lion King (c) as follows as I don't know which one wrote which line will credit all
Irene Mecchi (screenplay) and
Jonathan Roberts (screenplay) and
Linda Woolverton (screenplay)

Brenda Chapman (story supervisor)

Burny Mattinson (story) &
Barry Johnson (story) &
Lorna Cook (story) &
Thom Enriquez (story) &
Andy Gaskill (story) &
Gary Trousdale (story) &
Jim Capobianco (story) &
Kevin Harkey (story) &
Jorgen Klubien (story) &
Chris Sanders (story) &
Tom Sito (story) &
Larry Leker (story) &
Joe Ranft (story) &
Rick Maki (story) &
Ed Gombert (story) &
Francis Glebas (story) &
Mark Kausler (story)

J.T. Allen (additional story material) &
George Scribner (additional story material) &
Miguel Tejada-Flores (additional story material) &
Jenny Tripp (additional story material) &
Bob Tzudiker (additional story material) &
Christopher Vogler (additional story material) (as Chris Vogler) &
Kirk Wise (additional story material) &
Noni White (additional story material)

9 replies, 1423 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Was Rafiki in the Lion King talking about President Obama way back in 1994? The winds are changing (Original post)
graham4anything Dec 2012 OP
flvegan Dec 2012 #1
graham4anything Dec 2012 #2
woo me with science Dec 2012 #4
graham4anything Dec 2012 #5
woo me with science Dec 2012 #6
graham4anything Dec 2012 #8
woo me with science Dec 2012 #9
MrScorpio Dec 2012 #3
graham4anything Dec 2012 #7

Response to graham4anything (Original post)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 10:35 PM

1. Ummm...what?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 04:07 AM

2. Peaceful but forceful changes seem to be coming since election day.The big stink is being blown away

It is something I thought was happening in 2004 then, 2008 but never did.

I referred to it as "The Big Stink" (W) and that a big wind was coming and the big stink would be by the big wind, be blown out of the sky (not meant to be seen as a military term here) but the wind blowing the big stink away like a bad smell is

It seems like now, finally, after President Obama's historic landslide victory, the people themselves now have a different attitude this time, instead of after 2008, when some naively thought it would fall into place

Forgetting that President Obama (as he said this year) did not build it himself, but the great community orgnaization and a grass roots effort did

What the people seemed to forget after 2008, but now seem to get is

they are an integral part of that grass roots effort, and their help is needed nationwide in any small way they can to help move forward

The winds of change are upon us know

and truly it seems to be finally the old movie line coming true

"If YOU build it, they will come" (field of dreams) and this time it appears the big stink is everyone now breathing a sigh of relief that

as Ted Kennedy so beautifully always said

THE DREAM LIVES ON.

and the big stink (the bullsheet) is being blown away peacefully in a peaceful revolution first won in 2008, and now reaffirmed in 2012 and hopefully forever this time.

the other side has been margionalized, defeated and in disrepare with fewer and fewer outlets as their propaganda media is getting smaller and smaller and smaller

Reply to this post

Response to graham4anything (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 06:59 AM

4. What are the changes? nt

Reply to this post

Response to woo me with science (Reply #4)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 07:12 AM

5. It's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day

alas as Stanley Kubrick titled it

eyes wide shut

EVERYTHING

10% of something is a zillion times better than 100% of nothing

it takes decades for a seed to grow into a mighty redwood

I bet for some reason people hated LBJ too for signing the civil rights acts

It took 50plus years after to get a black president

and another 8 to get a woman president

Reply to this post

Response to graham4anything (Reply #5)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 07:37 AM

6. I thought so. nt

Reply to this post

Response to woo me with science (Reply #6)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 07:47 AM

8. Unions are again in favor, Gay marriages will be legal, abortions will remain legal,

save for a few wedge issues which soon will change when enough better democrats replace the not so good democrats as the years go on

and SCOTUS goes from 4 to 5 to 8 to 1 after Hillary45's term is complete

you shall see it

The legendary Super President 3, President 3, President 3 LBJ knew it would take a bit after he signed the rights, and it did take a bit longer but then the fighting democrats who tossed him away and brought Nixon, Reagan, Bush and ford and Bush in made it take longer.

Had LBJ been reelected in 1968, Bobby would have been alive and become President in 1972 and 1976 and the world would have been better

Reply to this post

Response to graham4anything (Reply #8)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 09:25 AM

9. It is notable

that two out of the three things you mention are social issues that the one percent could not care less about, and the third, unions, occurred despite Obama and certainly not because of anything he has done to help them. In fact, he was very careful not to offer even a word of support to them during the teacher strikes.

Meanwhile, the news this week is of the sale of the Gulf of Mexico, more drilling, new media consolidation to come, the withdrawal of his DOJ from investigating Monsanto, expansion of spying and "kill lists," the looming Trans-Pacific free trade assault, and his flexibility on top tax rates.

What is the plan, during this term, to help the 99 percent? I mean to actively help us against the corporate predators who are destroying this country.

What's the plan?

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 06:33 AM

3. Isn't The Lion King just a Disney rehash of Kimba, The White Lion?

Reply to this post

Response to MrScorpio (Reply #3)

Mon Dec 3, 2012, 07:42 AM

7. my specific thread is about Rafiki, and his exact quote comes from the Lion King

not the movie or the plot itself(or the simply BOFFO!) soundtrack by Sir Elton John greatest worldwide entertainer of all time from the years 1971 to the present

most every movie ever made was in effect stolen from the Japanese

but getting America to watch foreign films is like telling the tea party to visit France

but your question is irrelevant to the thread

If it was relevant, I would retort with Godzilla(c) and all the other great monster movies and allegory's were showing what happens in a world with the guns in it and the nra

King Kong (c)was a movie about racism
Rudolf (c)was about racism bullying and difference not being accepted, even Santa was a racist in it, and the Dentist Elf, being Jews was shunned.(and so much so that they even fudged his name to make it less ethnic)

Santa Claus is coming to town (c)the animated one, is about a liberal Kringle in a Bush led world
with the trippiest song in a kids film this side of the MOnkees Head or Yellow Submarine

as Bing Crosby said in White Christmas(c) "everybody has an angle"

(wiki)
by the way, Kimba the White Lion is (c) and I heartedly recommend it to everyone
In other languagesArabic - كيمبا الأسد الأبيض - lit. Kimba the White Lion
Catalan - Kimba, el Lle Blanc - lit. Kimba, the White Lion
Chinese - 森林大帝 - Sēnln Dd - lit. Jungle Emperor
Dutch - Kimba, De Witte Leeuw - lit. Kimba, the White Lion
European Portuguese - Kimba, o Leo Branco - lit. Kimba, the White Lion
French - Le Roi Lo - lit. The King Leo
German - Kimba, der Weie Lwe - lit. Kimba, the White Lion
Hebrew - קימבה האריה הלבן - lit. Kimba the Lion the White
Italian - Kimba, il Leone Bianco - lit. Kimba, the White Lion
Japanese - ジャングル大帝 - Janguru Taitei - lit. Jungle Emperor
Latin Spanish - Kimba, el Len Blanco - lit. Kimba, the White Lion
Norwegian - Kimba, den Hvite Lve - lit. Kimba, the White Lion
Polish - Kimba Biały Lew - lit. Kimba, the White Lion
Portuguese - Kimba, o Leo Branco - lit. Kimba, the White Lion
Russian - Император джунглей - Imperator Dzhunglyeĭ - lit. Emperor of the Jungle
Serbian - Лео, бели лав/Leo, beli lav - lit. Leo, the White Lion
Spanish - El Emperador de la Selva - lit. The Emperor of the Jungle

However, this is a political allegory thread based on the quote directly in the Lion King

we can start in the movie group a whole expose on how Japanese films are made into American films, mostly for the worst. but this thread is an allegory about the Winds of Change have arrived.

Of course it goes both ways
(wiki the free encyclopedia)
The Tezuka-Disney connection extends back decades before the movie. Tezuka met Walt Disney at the 1964 New York World's Fair, and Disney said he hoped to "make something just like" Tezuka's Astro Boy. Tezuka then asked for and got the license to adapt Disney's Bambi into a manga for the Japanese audience. More recently, Disney animators were hired to train Tezuka's crew in the use of color when production was started on the Jungle Emperor/Kimba the White Lion TV series. It was said that an animated film of Kimba the White Lion was planned but later scrapped.

The controversy has been referenced in a number of national newspapers in the United States, including a June 2007 Los Angeles Times article. In the episode "'Round Springfield" of The Simpsons, a parody of the Lion King's Mufasa says to Lisa Simpson, "You must avenge my death, Kimba...er, I mean Simba!".

Zira, the antagonist in The Lion King II: Simba's Pride is a close resemblance to Bella Donna who claimed to be Kimba's aunt in the 1967 episode "The Hunting Ground".

Todays kids would be well advised to see Kimba
and of course to go to Disney and enjoy their childhood
it never gets better than when you are a kid, because you gotta grow up unless you are Mary Martin, who is reunited now with her own kid, Larry Hagman probably having the times of their afterlifes.
(btw, on Dallas2012 season 2, they should have J.R. in a crash and needing plastic surgery,he takes off the bandages and voila, is Patrick Duffy who plays 2 roles for the remainder of the years Dallas the continuation is on. Wouldn't that be something. As Pat and Hagman were the closest of friends, it would be right in the spirit of Dallas to do something like that.
I give full permission for the writers to take that idea, (c)g4a and run with it.
YOU have my blessing creative staff of Dallas

As Harry Chapin said (who should be in the rock and roll hall of fame, because without him, there never would have been any charity done in the music biz like We are the world, and Live Aid and all the other, it started with Sandy and Harry Chapin, anyhoo,
Harry said
"Good artists borrow, great artists steal" and every single artist has stolen from another

BTW-Disney claims Lion King's story came from Hamlet.
(OOPS, that would mean so did Kimba, hee hee hee).

But any real movie fan knows where to give credit to.
Same with any real movie fan knows say Quentin Tarentino is a fifth rate hack, better than say a sixth rate hack,and twice as good as a tenth rate hack,
but David Lynch did it 100 times better and of course, so did the people Lynch was inspired by, and QT of course takes more from the Japanese than any other living director has ever done.(not to mention that gratuitus violence and anti-woman stuff in his films)
But I gotta say I do love Christoph Waltz he is devilicously something else. What a find.
As Tina Turner(c) sang "Simply the Best".

a comprarisson politically(not their views but their persona)

David Lynch is Barack Obama
QT is Mitt Romney in the first debate

anyhow back to the point of the thread

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread