HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Drink more (black) coffee...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:05 PM

Drink more (black) coffee (latest dietary advice that contradicts other dietary advice)

"What I tell patients is, if you like coffee, go ahead and drink as much as you want and can," says Dr. Peter Martin, director of the Institute for Coffee Studies at Vanderbilt University. He's even developed a metric for monitoring your dosage: If you are having trouble sleeping, cut back on your last cup of the day. From there, he says, "If you drink that much, it's not going to do you any harm, and it might actually help you. A lot."

Officially, the American Medical Association recommends conservatively that "moderate tea or coffee drinking likely has no negative effect on health, as long as you live an otherwise healthy lifestyle." That is a lackluster endorsement in light of so much recent glowing research. Not only have most of coffee's purported ill effects been disproven -- the most recent review fails to link it the development of hypertension -- but we have so, so much information about its benefits. We believe they extend from preventing Alzheimer's disease to protecting the liver. What we know goes beyond small-scale studies or limited observations. The past couple of years have seen findings, that, taken together, suggest that we should embrace coffee for reasons beyond the benefits of caffeine, and that we might go so far as to consider it a nutrient.

The most recent findings that support coffee as a panacea will make their premiere this December in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Coffee, researchers found, appears to reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.

"There have been many metabolic studies that have shown that caffeine, in the short term, increases your blood glucose levels and increases insulin resistance," Shilpa Bhupathiraju, a research fellow at the Harvard School of Public Health's Department of Nutrition and the study's lead author, told me. But "those findings really didn't translate into an increased risk for diabetes long-term." During the over 20 years of follow-up, and controlling for all major lifestyle and dietary risk factors, coffee consumption, regardless of caffeine content, was associated with an 8 percent decrease in the risk of type 2 diabetes in women. In men, the reduction was 4 percent for regular coffee and 7 percent for decaf...

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/11/the-case-for-drinking-as-much-coffee-as-you-like/265693/

NOTE: In the comments I found this, so buyer beware:

It is sponsored research by various coffee associations, including Starbuck: This is from the website at Vanderbilt of this doctor's institute: "The ICS was initially established in 1999 in the Department of Psychiatry at Vanderbilt University Medical Center with a grant from a consortium of coffee-producing countries (Brazil, Colombia, Mexico, and Guatemala and a coalition of Central American nations) under the auspices of the Association of Coffee Producing Countries (ACPC), the National Coffee Association of the USA, and the All Japan Coffee Association. Subsequently, the work of the ICS has also received support from the International Coffee Organization and the USA corporate sector (NCA, Kraft Foods, Nestle, Sara Lee, Starbucks)."

16 replies, 1820 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:08 PM

1. I love coffee. I like the feeling from it, the little boost of energy and the taste. n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:09 PM

2. got milk?

One thing is sure - coffee is healthier than milk! Especially coffee without milk!

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:12 PM

3. Gladly. Music to a java junkie's ears.

nt

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:13 PM

4. I love it when researchers validate my chosen lifestyle

I'm a pot-a-day guy, so this is welcome news indeed.

Reply to this post

Response to Cirque du So-What (Reply #4)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:19 PM

8. Sometimes it's hard to tell which way the winds blowing ... will probably

be another study later saying the opposite. So I stick with my pot-a-day ... I figure if they say it's wrong one day someone else will say it's OK the next day!

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:17 PM

5. I LOVE coffee especially espresso. :-) nt

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:18 PM

6. I drink coffee every morning

to combat the damage done to my liver the night before.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:19 PM

7. I like coffee, too. But let's face it...it isn't necessary.

The vast majority of us would be much healthier without it. It may help those with Type 2 diabetes, as the article says, but I have a hard time seeing it as a nutrient.

Reply to this post

Response to randome (Reply #7)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:37 PM

13. there's more than diabetes in the article itself -- about 7 benefits. supposedly.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:22 PM

9. I rate the automatic timer coffee maker as one of the all-time greatest inventions!

How much do I love waking up at 5:00 am and smelling coffee? Words cannot express! I love the taste and boost but it's worth it for the smell alone!
If I had to quit for some reason, I think I'd still brew a half pot every morning and dump it out.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:24 PM

10. The NOTE: section SAYS IT ALL!

I opened this link wondering "Who sponsored this research?"

Now I know

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:25 PM

11. Caffeine can drive up heart rate and blood pressure

in excessive amounts--it's a vasoconstrictor and crosses the blood-brain barrier easily, if my memory serves me correctly (used to deal with it at poison control). I don't know that I'd advise anybody to "drink all the coffee they can"--especially not if they're consuming other beverages with caffeine, or taking any kind of med or supplement with caffeine (like Excedrin).

Reply to this post

Response to TwilightGardener (Reply #11)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:48 PM

14. Important point to emphasize, indeed.

sadly, as one gets older, certain changes have to be made. My BP and too much coffee are not good partners.
Fortunately, I can still have that one lovely cup of strong cappucino in the am. And sometimes, if before 2 pm, I can survive having another cup.

Reply to this post

Response to dixiegrrrrl (Reply #14)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 10:53 PM

16. Yep--I drink quite a bit (4 cups or so) every day, but

I feel some undesirable effects if I get more than that (headache, funky heart beats, dizziness).

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 09:28 PM

12. Coffee is the one thing that tempts me to believe in God.

No calories, a wonderful lift, tastes magnificent and it appears to be good for me too. And, as the story of its discovery says, "it makes the goats dance". What's not to love?

Besides, I come from one of those cultures that used to let its children drink coffee with a lot of milk and sugar, so I've been an addict since I was a wee thing.

Reply to this post

Response to nolabear (Reply #12)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 10:10 PM

15. I also drink a ton of the organic brands

and since about since i was 13 (now 54). It does give some skin problems and stains teeth. Makes the kidneys and the plumbing below work overtime but that is probably good in ways (if you consume enough water). Winter time probably exacerbates some of coffee's undesirable effects.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread