HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » What was that quote about...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 02:56 PM

What was that quote about liberal critics watching while conservatives changed the game?

Hi all,

A few years back, I remember a quote, about Iraq I think, that a member of the Bush administrations said critics could sit back and watch while they changed the game and then write the history. Does anyone remember it?

I'm trying to find it to include in a paper.

-Sandy

4 replies, 623 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply What was that quote about liberal critics watching while conservatives changed the game? (Original post)
sfwriter Dec 2012 OP
charlyvi Dec 2012 #1
sfwriter Dec 2012 #2
dballance Dec 2012 #3
charlyvi Dec 2012 #4

Response to sfwriter (Original post)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 02:59 PM

1. Here you go

The source of the term is a quotation in an October 17, 2004, The New York Times Magazine article by writer Ron Suskind, quoting an unnamed aide to George W. Bush (later attributed to Karl Rove):
The aide said that guys like me were "in what we call the reality-based community," which he defined as people who "believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality." ... "That's not the way the world really works anymore," he continued. "We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality—judiciously, as you will—we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors…and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality-based_community

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to charlyvi (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 03:08 PM

2. Thank you!

I had forgotten about the "reality-based community" part. Boy that became relevant again!

I did remember that I thought it was Rove but it was listed as unnamed. I also pinned it to the period of neo-conservative collapse that followed.

Thanks. I've been scouring the net for it...

Reply to this post

Response to charlyvi (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 03:24 PM

3. Reality bit KKKarl's ass on 11/6 didn't it.

Deal with the new reality the US electorate and the Dems are creating now Karl. Or, in other words, EAT SHIT ASSHOLE.

Reply to this post

Response to dballance (Reply #3)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 03:50 PM

4. Heh.

Karma's a bitch, huh Karl.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread