HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » One personís memory of Ch...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 10:23 AM

One personís memory of Christmas Past a LTTE in the Anniston Star

http://www.annistonstar.com/view/full_story/20988165/article-Give-to-the-Salvation-Army?instance=top_center_featured

Passing by the Salvation Army red kettle last week at Wal-Mart brought back to me a Christmas past when the Salvation Army was the only Christmas I knew.

Back in the days before food stamps, Aid to Dependent Children and public welfare of any kind, there was always a Salvation Army. At Christmas time, my mother would take me, along with many of my 16 brothers and sisters, to meet Santa at the Salvation Army. Each of us was allowed to choose a large toy and a small toy. I always chose a scooter, if there was one left, and itís funny that scooters are now back in fashion.

I will always be grateful to the Salvation Army for making sure I had a Christmas so long ago. Please do me a favor this year and put a little back in the kettle.

Who knows, you may be providing some needy child, much like me many years ago, with a scooter for Christmas.

Eli Henderson
Anniston

6 replies, 578 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply One personís memory of Christmas Past a LTTE in the Anniston Star (Original post)
jody Dec 2012 OP
we can do it Dec 2012 #1
cleanhippie Dec 2012 #2
jody Dec 2012 #3
Squinch Dec 2012 #5
Cerridwen Dec 2012 #4
mzteris Dec 2012 #6

Response to jody (Original post)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 10:33 AM

1. No money from me to this hateful organization

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 10:44 AM

2. Sadly, that Organiation you remember no longer exists. They are a vile, hate group now.

And will get nothing from me. I donate to those who treat others with respect and equality.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 10:48 AM

3. If you hate the group, please give to another of your choice. nt

Reply to this post

Response to jody (Reply #3)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 11:07 AM

5. In my town, the post office saves the letters to Santa so you can sift through them and

choose a child or a family, and "be" Santa.

You can't imagine how fun it is to shop and wrap and anonymously deliver to these kids. I also work with kids in the neighborhood and more than once have had the amazing experience of hearing a kid recount his experience of getting such an anonymous Christmas.

Try it! I promise you will love the experience.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 10:53 AM

4. Giving "charity" to only the "right kind" of people

is not charity but exploitation and manipulation in the guise of "religion". Slapping a militaristic veneer on the outside of it is a cheap, cynical, and dishonest attempt at claiming some sort of "respectability" in a militaristic society that "honors" the hierarchy while discarding the human.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 11:20 AM

6. good thing

you weren't gay or they wouldn't let you have any toys.

I'm very glad you got to have a Christmas, truly I am. I know that they DO help a whole lot of children in need.

BUT, I cannot support an organization that is so virulently homophobic. There are other good charities out there. I'll support them, instead.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread