HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Bullying: Why are we surp...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 03:06 AM

Bullying: Why are we surprised?

In education circles, there is often a lot of talk about how to prevent and deal with bullying in our schools. There are anti-bullying programs, trainings for teachers, social-emotional curricula designed to increase empathy. Teachers are taught how to work with the bullying victim, the bully themselves, and the bystanders who must be encouraged to interevene.

But when I look around at our society, I sometimes wonder why are we surprised that bullying is such a rampant problem in schools? Do we honestly wish to pretend that this is problem unique to the schoolyard, to our young people who just don't know better? Or, are we willing to take a long hard look at ourselves, what our society teaches and rewards, and the daily lessons our children learn growing up in an grossly unjust and abusive America...?

And on some level, children understand who the winners are in our society. They see their city's mayor on TV, a bona fide bully, continue his bullying towards the child's teachers, relatives, and community members. They see the billionaire bullies, the political bullies, the business bullies fleece the entire nation's milk-money without so much as a detention.

And we are surprised when children try to exert power over someone less powerful? That is how the game is played. That bully, provided he has the right connections and does not have the wrong skin color, will be rewarded for that nasty behavior someday. Perhaps, he can manage a hedge fund, become a ruthless banker, or even run for office. Bullying equals "success".

http://mskatiesramblings.blogspot.com/2012/11/bullying-why-are-we-surprised.html

6 replies, 1164 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Bullying: Why are we surprised? (Original post)
HiPointDem Dec 2012 OP
AldoLeopold Dec 2012 #1
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #2
Dark n Stormy Knight Dec 2012 #3
ReRe Dec 2012 #4
B Calm Dec 2012 #5
glowing Dec 2012 #6

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 03:23 AM

1. Pretty much on the mark

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to AldoLeopold (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 03:27 AM

2. lol. as good a reaction as any, i suppose.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 03:56 AM

3. + Infinity. I mean, nearly half the country just voted to make president of our nation

a guy who led others to gang up on a fellow student and forcibly cut his hair. What does that tell you about how much those people give a shit about bullying?

And as if thinking of this^^ didn't depress me enough, I googled "forceably" because that's how I stupidly spelled "forcibly" at first and it was red-underlined to flag it as misspelled.

All I can say is, if you ever google "forceably", don't look past the first couple of results. Jesus. Ann Coulter, you are so fucking full of shit and there's no way you don't know you're lying.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 05:56 AM

4. I know there are allot of DUers who don't have much respect for psychiatry or psychology....

... but I'm telling you, bullies are sociopaths. And if they could be dealt with compassionately & patiently when they are young children, they might have a chance of growing up into productive, well adjusted members of society. Otherwise, if they bully their way all thru life, there's pretty much no hope for them once they grow into an adult. There's no changing them after that point. Yes, many of them grow up into CEOs or venture capitalists, politicians, policemen, etc.

Most of them, however, take their bullying a little too far and end up in prison. It's one of those serious problems we face in this society that seems to be insurmountable, unsolvable. Speaking of bullying at school, did you know that many of our schools no longer have full-time counselors on staff, and many of them don't have a counselor at all? I guess I'm speaking of primary and Jr High schools. Do away with arts programs, physical education & counselors and look what we've got. A great big mess. Kids are committing suicide! It's all so sad.... I digress.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 06:12 AM

5. It's in the workplace too! Hell my

No Good for Nothing Boss has had a target on my forehead for the last 4 years.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 06:15 AM

6. I actually have hope that schools who push

for tolerance and no bullying can impact out kids for the future and it does carry thru into the real world with them.

It was 1/2 assed during my time in school. Some schools were better at diversity and accepting difference. Bush years were like a walk back thru the stone ages. So, I'm glad that LGBT community has fought so valiantly for rights.... They seriously got the roll booming on the anti-bullying policies at schools... And real ones. My son takes it to heart. I hope it sticks. The levels of no tolerance for crap is a real change... And it was really helped with the "It gets better" plus a President who acts with such grace and kindness over the rabble rousing bullies in DC. He has been an amazing roll model for our children.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread