HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » WA 502: Liquor Control Bo...

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 02:43 AM

WA 502: Liquor Control Board to invent a pot market, from seed to store

The state Liquor Control Board has an interesting job in the year ahead: to get into the weeds of how marijuana is grown, sold and used.

Washington voters' decision to legalize marijuana means the state Liquor Control Board (LCB) now has a year to set regulations for the first-of-its-kind marijuana market.But first, the small state agency must go on an even stranger mission to get into the, well, weeds of how marijuana is grown, sold and used.

At a hearing on Friday before a state Senate committee, Pat Kohler, the LCB director, said the agency would need to hire a consultant a pot expert to gather input from key groups of police, farmers, users and others to help her staff better "understand the product and the industry itself..."

...The voter-approved Initiative 502 requires the LCB to license and regulate a seed-to-store closed marijuana market, with the first licenses to be issued in late 2013. Based on a state fiscal analysis, it will be a big market: 363,000 users consuming 187,000 pounds of marijuana each year, with steep sin taxes generating more than $560 million a year. (more)
http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2019803619_marijuanalegislature01.html

from comments:

Spoon Bender December 1, 2012 at 7:11 PM
5 more days until the new duid law. Get ready for mandatory blood draws.

MV Rick December 1, 2012 at 4:29 PM
...What a doofus. Didn't read the law, did you? There's a link below, go find it and read it. Home grown pot remains illegal. Home baked cookies cannot be sold, only products produced by licensed manufactuers. The point of the law is taxes and regulation, not freedom.

Spoon Bender December 1, 2012 at 1:55 PM
So, what happens Dec. 6th when the cops smell pot in your car and want a blood test? They can force you to take a blood draw and if you were smoking the night before, you will now have a dui. The cops and courts are gearing up for the new influx of criminals.
And they can still take your pot since it wasn't sold in a state sanctioned retail outlet.

Publicbulldog December 1, 2012 at 12:10 PM
...When they take 17 million in taxes I have the right to make it my business.

My plan is to bring it up before they take the money. That way they look like sneaky fools when they take the money hire the extra employees,then scraap the plan because they don't have a bank to handle the transactions, and avoid federal money laundering charges..They won't be able to say"we didn't know".They can ignore me all they want...but...there is nothing better than being the one to project and predict what will happen before it happens. They and you hate that. Now you will all be sneaky liars when you take the money and scrap the program. I can see the FDIC letterhead now.lolol..I can see the LCB holding it up and giving it to Mr.Martin here...the cooperative federalism will be happening. mark my words...

Publicbulldog December 1, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Only an idiot would see the trouble medical marijuana operations had with the banks, and not consider that in a 64 page initiative.If you have to create a state bank then create a state bank,but you don't pretend the problem won't exist..

The state is going to collect taxes from four different illegal transactions and put that money in a federal (FDIC) bank..lolololololololol.

Stop the bus....get the%$#$%%^ out of the drivers seat.You people are just plain out of your mind.

===========

DUID Legislation: What It Means, Who's Behind It, and Strategies to Prevent It
http://norml.org/library/item/you-are-going-directly-to-jail

Interesting-from the new law:

I-502 Sec. 24. RCW 69.50.500 and 1989 1st ex.s. c 9 s 437 are each amended to read as follows:
(a) It is hereby made the duty of the state board of pharmacy, the department, the state liquor control board, and their officers, agents, inspectors and representatives, and all law enforcement officers within the state, and of all prosecuting attorneys, to enforce all provisions of this chapter, except those specifically delegated, and to cooperate with all agencies charged with the enforcement of the laws of the United States, of this state, and all other states, relating to controlled substances as defined in this chapter.
http://www.sos.wa.gov/_assets/elections/initiatives/i502.pdf

4 replies, 1009 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply WA 502: Liquor Control Board to invent a pot market, from seed to store (Original post)
green for victory Dec 2012 OP
Berlum Dec 2012 #1
jmowreader Dec 2012 #2
KansDem Dec 2012 #3
jmowreader Dec 2012 #4

Response to green for victory (Original post)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 03:27 AM

1. "Puff." - HSC

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to green for victory (Original post)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 05:45 AM

2. They realize they already have pot experts handy, right?

The Washington State Penitentiary is full of pot dealers. My suggestion is to pardon one of them and make him or her their pot consultant. You could have interviews.

Like it or not, anyone who has dealt enough weed to make a good pot consultant has a felony record.

Reply to this post

Response to jmowreader (Reply #2)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 05:57 AM

3. Not to mention the "over-50 and unemployed" crowd!

Imagine the possibilities for some of us who spent half of our youth in school with books and the other half in closets with plants!

Talk about "on the job" training!

Reply to this post

Response to KansDem (Reply #3)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 03:33 PM

4. No, that's good training for working in Agriculture

The state's head pot dealer will have to be someone who dealt in wholesale weed, importing and all the other things a retailer must do. Those guys generally wind up in prison. So that's where to go.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread