HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Principal forces high sch...

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 06:05 PM

Principal forces high school boys to hold hands as punishment for fight

MESA, AZ (CBS5) -
The idea of public humiliation as an appropriate punishment is certainly a controversial topic.

A couple of Westwood High School Warriors were humbled after a fight, and pictures of the high school boys holding hands as punishment and covering their heads are all over Facebook.

One of those young men is 14-year-old Charles Crockett, who admitted to ditching classes at the Mesa school Thursday because he said everyone was still teasing him about it.

He said the ordeal started in P.E. class Wednesday.

"I told him to hit me and he hit me and we all started fighting," Charles said.

The freshman said he and a sophomore named Julio were sent to Principal Tim Richard's office, where he gave the boys a clear choice.

"The principal told us options and so we picked holding hands instead of getting suspended," Crockett said.

more ... http://www.kctv5.com/story/20224198/principal-forces-high-school-boys-to-hold-hands-as-punishment-for-fight

19 replies, 2025 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 19 replies Author Time Post
Reply Principal forces high school boys to hold hands as punishment for fight (Original post)
proud2BlibKansan Dec 2012 OP
CBGLuthier Dec 2012 #1
proud2BlibKansan Dec 2012 #5
progree Dec 2012 #12
Turbineguy Dec 2012 #2
MadHound Dec 2012 #3
proud2BlibKansan Dec 2012 #4
MadHound Dec 2012 #7
proud2BlibKansan Dec 2012 #8
MadHound Dec 2012 #10
MrsBrady Dec 2012 #15
proud2BlibKansan Dec 2012 #17
Liberal_in_LA Dec 2012 #6
ZombieHorde Dec 2012 #13
Dark n Stormy Knight Dec 2012 #14
Brickbat Dec 2012 #9
Raine Dec 2012 #11
JI7 Dec 2012 #16
Barack_America Dec 2012 #18
DaniDubois Dec 2012 #19

Response to proud2BlibKansan (Original post)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 06:16 PM

1. and some day they can grow up to be called the "president."

I would like to hear someone explain why this is humiliating without sounding like a homophobic bigot.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to CBGLuthier (Reply #1)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 06:26 PM

5. LOL! DUZY!!

Reply to this post

Response to CBGLuthier (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 11:38 PM

12. PETITION - here is the link to the signon.org petition to express your outrage

to Douchebag "Dr." Tim Richard, the principal. There's only 200 or so signatures so a little DU love will make a difference

http://signon.org/sign/dismiss-dr-tim-richard

###########################################

School Encourages Homophobic Humiliation as Student Punishment, Takepart.com, 12/2/12

Two Arizona high school students who were caught fighting faced a controversial punishment concocted by their principal: Either endure a suspension, or sit in the school courtyard holding hands while other students shout and throw homophobic slurs at you.

The message here seems to be that there’s nothing more horrific than being perceived as gay.

Student Brittney Smyers told ABC 15, "Kids were laughing at them and calling them names asking, 'Are you gay?'”

Pictures of the boys holding hands surfaced online with some singing the principal’s praises, while others denounced his tactics as shortsighted and discriminatory.

A new petition went up on SignOn.org insisting on Richard’s dismissal for encouraging and legitimizing bullying in schools. “…this particular incident sends a clear message to gay students. It equates being gay or perceived as gay to punishment, and ranks it along side being thrown out of school. The knock-on effect of this sanctioned bullying will only serve to exacerbate the social ostracism that too many gay and lesbian students still experience in public schools.”

More: http://news.yahoo.com/school-encourages-homophobic-humiliation-student-punishment-143856690.html

============================================
Quite frankly I can't understand some of the comments on this thread - well they were given a choice -- suspension or endure homophobic taunts. So what's wrong with that? A choice? Yeah right.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 06:18 PM

2. When I was in elementary school

one of the teachers did the corporal punishment. At first I think most of the other teachers were glad he was willing to do it as they probably found it distasteful. We were in the third grade. Usually forth and fifth graders were paraded into the class and got swats with a large wooden board compass. Unevitably some would cry. Great entertainment for us naturally.

One day somebody figured out he was enjoying this and he was suddenly replaced by a lovely young woman who was against degrading and hurting children. And she did not need to do such things to maintain our attention.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 06:22 PM

3. I have no problem with this,

After all, they were given options and chose this one.

My mother tells of the days when her brothers got into fights in high school. The principle would take them down to the gym, where they had a boxing ring, put 'em in the ring, put gloves on 'em and had the kids go at it. Funny, there wasn't that much fighting at that school Of course that was back in the '20's and '30's, so something like that probably wouldn't fly today.

Reply to this post

Response to MadHound (Reply #3)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 06:25 PM

4. I did it when I taught 1st grade

Worked like a champ.

Reply to this post

Response to proud2BlibKansan (Reply #4)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 06:27 PM

7. Really?

How did you get away with rigging up a first grade boxing match? In this day and age?

Reply to this post

Response to MadHound (Reply #7)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 06:29 PM

8. No, I meant making them hold hands

Sorry for the confusion.

I made them stand facing each other holding hands. It really worked. I rarely had fights in my class.

Reply to this post

Response to proud2BlibKansan (Reply #8)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 06:32 PM

10. Ahh, I was hoping for a first grade featherweight match

I'll have to file the hand holding for future use then.

Reply to this post

Response to proud2BlibKansan (Reply #8)

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 07:19 PM

15. you think maybe

it made them see each other as people? to make them hold hands...

or just too embarrassing to risk a fight....

or maybe both.

curious your thoughts on that

Reply to this post

Response to MrsBrady (Reply #15)

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 10:37 PM

17. Yep. They see each other as people.

Embarrassment didn't enter into it. Their peers weren't there to watch. That would have been embarrassing. I don't do that to kids. That's humiliation.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 06:26 PM

6. lol. They chose the punishment. I have no problem with it. it wasn't forced on

them.

Reply to this post

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Reply #6)

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 12:42 PM

13. Seems to me the punishment encourages homophobia.

Are humiliation and homophobia really things we want to encourage at our schools?

Reply to this post

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Reply #6)

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 07:10 PM

14. Poor reasoning. When one is forced to choose between the lesser of two evils, one is still

forced to choose an evil.

If this principal wants to offer alternatives to suspension, he needs to offer a choices that do not encourage bullying and homophobia.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 06:29 PM

9. Sad that's an option.

So they held hands instead of getting suspended, but he ditched class? Brilliant.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 08:26 PM

11. They choose it, they could've chosen suspension

if they felt holding hands was too humiliating that they would have to ditch afterward. Kids always make fun of other kids that get punished, I was on both ends of it, got made fun and made fun of others.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 07:22 PM

16. that's punishment ? why not something like community service

or writing some extra book report or some shit like that ?

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 11:19 PM

18. Holding hands is a pretty universal sign of friendship. nt

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 4, 2012, 11:30 PM

19. My mom used to make us hold hands and stand nose to nose. Eventually we'd start laughing and the

fight would be long forgotten. I in turn used it on my kids with great success, especially in the early teen years.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread