HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » DUers--How do you stay sa...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 05:06 PM

DUers--How do you stay sane/well in an insane/unwell world?

Don't get me wrong--I see plenty of reasons to be hopeful about our world and many of the people in it. We DID win the election, after all. However, I sometimes feel as if reading the news is a moral hazard. Nothing is being done about global warming, the corporations seem to have some bizarre control of our government, the economy is sputtering along and although strides have been made in the healthcare system (Thank you President Obama), we still have a long way to go.

I am wondering how DUers stay well, happy and balanced today. We're all plugged in. We know what is going on. Many people aren't. I'd like to trounce around in that denial cloud--but unfortunately, I'd rather stay informed--as I'm sure many of you choose to do.

So--what do you do to keep yourself healthy, balanced and thriving?

Do you exercise? Eat certain foods or avoid certain foods? Do you take vitamins or supplements? Do you hobbies that you enjoy? How do you relieve stress? Do you have activities that you engage in that are therapeutic? Socially, what works best for you--Do you surround yourself with positive people, or do you tend to seek solace when your stressed? Any special books, music or movies that you turn to when you need a boost?

Maybe it's because I'm getting close to fifty--I want to be well and do well. I want to stay physically and emotionally healthy. I'm wondering how DUers achieve that.

How do you take care of yourself, in this complex world?

I'm asking because I'm interested and because DUers are so resourceful and smart. I can't wait to hear what others have to say, and I know that many will benefit from any tips, tricks, ideas or insights that we share.

67 replies, 3692 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 67 replies Author Time Post
Reply DUers--How do you stay sane/well in an insane/unwell world? (Original post)
CoffeeCat Dec 2012 OP
no_hypocrisy Dec 2012 #1
RevStPatrick Dec 2012 #9
Viva_La_Revolution Dec 2012 #11
Zoeisright Dec 2012 #14
Science Geek Dec 2012 #56
oh reiki ur so fine Dec 2012 #61
no_hypocrisy Dec 2012 #67
NRaleighLiberal Dec 2012 #2
Cleita Dec 2012 #3
ReasonsVoice Dec 2012 #4
mahina Dec 2012 #5
Egalitarian Thug Dec 2012 #39
Cleita Dec 2012 #10
Progressive dog Dec 2012 #13
Egalitarian Thug Dec 2012 #40
mahina Dec 2012 #6
Zorra Dec 2012 #7
Nevernose Dec 2012 #25
Zorra Dec 2012 #59
dipsydoodle Dec 2012 #8
AndyTiedye Dec 2012 #43
TeamPooka Dec 2012 #12
loli phabay Dec 2012 #15
Siwsan Dec 2012 #16
think Dec 2012 #17
Webster Green Dec 2012 #18
dhill926 Dec 2012 #19
enough Dec 2012 #20
dionysus Dec 2012 #21
frazzled Dec 2012 #22
Skidmore Dec 2012 #24
NV Whino Dec 2012 #23
mythology Dec 2012 #26
gulliver Dec 2012 #27
coalition_unwilling Dec 2012 #28
darkangel218 Dec 2012 #29
IDoMath Dec 2012 #55
LadyHawkAZ Dec 2012 #30
notadmblnd Dec 2012 #31
graham4anything Dec 2012 #32
BellaKos Dec 2012 #33
Brickbat Dec 2012 #34
RebelOne Dec 2012 #36
tama Dec 2012 #35
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #37
southerncrone Dec 2012 #38
Egalitarian Thug Dec 2012 #41
dixiegrrrrl Dec 2012 #42
Louisiana1976 Dec 2012 #44
quaker bill Dec 2012 #45
davekriss Dec 2012 #46
Tierra_y_Libertad Dec 2012 #47
a la izquierda Dec 2012 #48
peace13 Dec 2012 #49
Raine Dec 2012 #50
NoOneMan Dec 2012 #51
Odin2005 Dec 2012 #52
RKP5637 Dec 2012 #53
IDoMath Dec 2012 #54
Solly Mack Dec 2012 #57
graywarrior Dec 2012 #58
Blasphemer Dec 2012 #60
brooklynite Dec 2012 #62
Canuckistanian Dec 2012 #63
CoffeeCat Dec 2012 #64
MFM008 Dec 2012 #65
malaise Dec 2012 #66

Response to CoffeeCat (Original post)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 05:09 PM

1. Not to oversimplify, but generally, I stay away from toxic people.

Whatever they have is contagious.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to no_hypocrisy (Reply #1)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 05:30 PM

9. Hmmm... I think it might actually be that simple.

I was going to suggest sex & drugs & rock 'n roll.
But yes, I think that eliminating your exposure to toxic people might be the best advice.
And the ones you are forced to interact with, just laugh at them and don't take them seriously.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 05:37 PM

11. +1!

also my best strategy.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 05:42 PM

14. Exactly.

The people you surround yourself with really determine what your life is going to be like.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 10:09 PM

56. Exceptionally good advice...

I'd add to that that it's a good idea, as well, to avoid those situations which you can that you know will induce unnecessary and unproductive stress. Sometimes it's better to put one's own mental health ahead of the feelings or concerns of others.

That said, I don't think there is any magic recipe for making it through life with one's sanity intact, I believe a lot of it might just boil down to luck or happenstance. But, when we can, we should be kind to ourselves as well as to others.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 11:56 PM

61. So...*ahem*...

What are you doing on DU?

Reply to this post

Response to oh reiki ur so fine (Reply #61)

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 08:09 AM

67. Welcome to DU.

DU is rich in diversity of opinion. Nothing toxic here.

I ignore trolls.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 05:12 PM

2. It's a great question and a constant challenge. Simple answer - family, pets, hobbies

My wife is my best friend - 32 years and counting. Two great daughters. Two dogs, two cats. that takes care of lots of it.

Gardening, music, movies, cooking, walking, photography, kayaking, reading - just finding niches to slip into to keep the balance.

But it isn't easy - and I do feel as though it is all coming undone around us.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 05:20 PM

3. Well, it helps to have enough income to have a safe shelter, food

and Medicare. However, I don't feel all that secure and it's worrisome to an old lady. I mean all this talk of meddling by Congress into our security blanket, Social Security and Medicare. Also, the fact that the local nuke plant could become Fukushima. Why? Because global warming could trigger a weather event (it's by the ocean) or earthquakes too strong for it to withstand and we would be in trouble.

On a personal note I was reading the disaster advice in case of an event at the nuclear plant and we were told that relief facilities would not accept animals. I would not leave my cat and I know family would not leave their pets and farm animals either, so that means even if we have time to evacuate, we will have no place to go. It makes me very sad.

I guess this wasn't the answer you wanted. However, while dancing on the pinhead of this disaster, I go about my daily life. I garden and read a lot of fiction to escape.

Reply to this post

Response to ReasonsVoice (Reply #4)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 05:25 PM

5. Your perspective is a 180 from my own.

When I was hit by a car in Canada, I had great care, and no bill.

My friend with lukemia here has a bill for $100,000.00 and she has insurance. Without insurance it was 1 million dollars.

In Canada, France and the UK, care is excellent. You wait for things you don't need, not for things you really need.

What is wrong with Medicare? We already have universal single payer insurance for our kupuna (elders) and it works fine.

Incidentally, telling people to WAKE UP is insulting. It indicates that you think we are asleep. We are not; we disagree with you.

Might you be lost?

Reply to this post

Response to mahina (Reply #5)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 07:23 PM

39. Fish and ReasonsVoice begin to smell after three posts.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 05:31 PM

10. Fer Chrissakes, we already have heard why Canadian health care is so awful

except when we dig for the truth and find out all your more than outdated talking points are bull shit. If you want major delays in getting appointments and scheduled for elective surgery, welcome to any one of our HMOs like Kaiser Permanente. Try going to one of our city ER as well and yes you have to pay for it, often even when you supposedly have health insurance and see how long you wait to get seen by a nurse let alone a doctor.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 05:41 PM

13. Hospital stays in Canada are longer-not shorter

But average cost per stay in US (hospital cost) is $18, 000 vs $10,000 for O.E.C.D. nations (which also have longer stays and equal or better outcomes).
If I knew someone from Europe, I would ask them whether they would prefer to spend more and get less.
Perhaps you should read this Thank you for your concern about my health care.

Reply to this post

Response to Progressive dog (Reply #13)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 07:25 PM

40. And the Canadian system is near the bottom of the better systems.

I don't think we point this out often enough.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 05:27 PM

6. I go swimming in the ocean as often as possible.

Going there now in fact!

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 05:27 PM

7. Peyote nt

Reply to this post

Response to Zorra (Reply #7)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 06:30 PM

25. Isn't it almost extinct?

There's a guy down the street though, that sells a special type of Andean cactus. Environmentally more sound than peyote.

Reply to this post

Response to Nevernose (Reply #25)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 10:19 PM

59. Yes, it is becoming scarce in this country because of cattle and people

who harvest it irresponsibly and illegally for sale and recreational use.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 05:28 PM

8. The secret

is to give somewhat less than a shit about most things and never worry about anything over which you have no direct control.

Marmite is good too.

edit to add - and dancing.

Reply to this post

Response to dipsydoodle (Reply #8)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 08:02 PM

43. +1000 on Dancing

Dancing is the best!

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 05:38 PM

12. cannabis

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 05:45 PM

15. contentment and seeing the glass as half full. seeing the good in people

And looking for that good regardless.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 05:48 PM

16. After the challenges and personal trials of this year, it's a challenge keeping sane

My sister has terminal cancer, my mother is in the early stages of dementia, I've had to put my 95 year old widowed, childless aunt into assisted living, and until recently, my mostly unemployed brother was living off of my generosity. I have focused so much on family issues and work, I've pretty much had to put my personal life on hold.

What I focus on is, I have a good job with amazing benefits. I live in a safe, very diverse neighborhood with great neighbors. I have two amazing nephews, and two wonderful nieces who love me, unconditionally. My brother -in-law is a rock, and one of the most amazing men I've ever met. I have a solid, long and trusting relationship with a great friend, who although she lives 2,000 miles from me, I know I can count on her when I need a shoulder to cry on. And, I have a good support system, including a boss who allows me to pick up and leave work at a moment's notice. And, for an aging hippie, I'm in pretty damn good shape and have my health.

I no longer feel guilty about indulging in comfort food, a good bottle of wine, or a day long old movie marathon. And, I visit DU every single day. Without fail. I might not always post, but I learn and laugh, and feel slightly validated, just the same.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 05:54 PM

17. Stewart & Colbert helps me alot. I'd rather laugh at the insanity instead of cry

I also take supplements like krill oil, all natural multi vitamins, antioxidants like green tea etc and St John's Wort. All seem to help my overall frame of mind.

Mostly though for myself I find that I have to just say "fuck it" and make the best of what is. I've grown to respect how well Americans have it compared to the rest of the world. So I try to keep it in perspective by understanding that others around the world would love to have my problems compared to the ones they face.

I also travel as much as possible so that life always seems fresh and new. The difference in scenery does wonders...

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 06:06 PM

18. I look at the big picture....

Here we are....billions of us, sitting on top of a gigantic ball of molten iron, hurtling at thousands of miles per hour around a burning ball of hydrogen.

What could possibly go wrong?

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 06:15 PM

19. walk a lot every day.....

vegetarian diet......and drink heavily to stay sane......

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 06:19 PM

20. The bottom line for me is exercise. Daily.

This takes different forms at different times. Right now it's dancing (Zumba) and yoga. Also a lot of outdoor work all year round. But I have to get the organized exercise every day or the world starts to look pretty black.

Also, avoiding sugar as much as possible. Not total abstinence, but trying not to eat enough to let the addiction kick in. I am convinced that sugar has a major effect on depression (that is, it makes depression worse).

I'm 68. It took me quite a long time to discover these simple things for myself. Good advice from others has never done much for me.

Good luck to you.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 06:20 PM

21. pills and booze, of course.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 06:27 PM

22. Turner Classic Movies

Honestly, nothing makes me forget things faster than a really good old movie, especially from the 30s and 40s. But anything will do. December is Ernst Lubitsch month! Every Friday evening.

That, and cooking a nice meal, pouring some wine, and lighting some candles. Then having a nice conversation with the mate. Oh, and then some tea afterwards and a small piece of really good dark chocolate. I feel better already!

Reply to this post

Response to frazzled (Reply #22)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 06:29 PM

24. Yes, sir.

And an annual subscription to Amazon Prime Instant Videos. I'm watching "Stormy Weather" with Lena Horne and Cab Calloway right now.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 06:27 PM

23. Fiction, where the good guys always win

Good friends of like mind and three cats.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 06:33 PM

26. I have a number of methods

I read a lot, play video games, listen to a lot of interesting podcasts, exercise, watch movies, all sorts of things

What makes me feel better really depends on my mood. If my knees are too bad for exercise, I'll read something interesting. If I can't stay focused on reading, I'll play a video game. Sometimes I just shut myself off from the world and watch movies, or tinker with one of my spare computers.

But then again I rarely feel fully sane. I watch people do things that are enormously stupid and not have to suffer the consequences. I see people who I consider utterly insipid be rewarded for their behavior.

But when it's really bad, I just listen to my sad music playlist or watch/read something sad. I think it helps by reminding me that even if I'm alone in real life, there are others who can speak to that part of my soul.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 06:35 PM

27. Mindfulness and mixed nuts

Mindfulness to avoid being tyrannized by emotions. Mixed nuts, because they are tasty and good for you. Trader Joe's is a good place to get them.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 06:38 PM

28. The Victorain writer Thomas Carlyle, in "Sartor Resartus," offered up

an interesting idea.

Think of human life as a fraction, with the denominator being our expectations and the numerator being our achievements. Happiness is achieved when the fraction resolves to 1. Many people think they will become happier if they only increase the numerator. On the contrary, Carlyle argues, one can more easily achieve happiness by decreasing the denominator. IOW, don't strive to achieve your ambitions only to find disappointment. Instead, lower your expectations and you will not be as frequently disappointed, i.e., happier. that's a pretty cynical view for a 'progress at all costs at all times' America, but it's one that I find oddly comforting.

And keep in mind what Martin Luther King, Jr. said in his famous speech where he came out against the Vietnam War in 1967: "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 06:42 PM

29. I play with kittehs, listen to music and have a beer now and then

When I'm overwhelmed I cry myself to sleep. Usually I tend to keep positive, cuz I'm starting uni soon and I need to be all there lol

Reply to this post

Response to darkangel218 (Reply #29)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 10:08 PM

55. Kittehs!!

And Beer!

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 06:46 PM

30. Who told you I was sane to begin with?

They lied.

But seriously:
When I am troubled and the weather permits, I take the bike out for a ride. I'm always more mellow and relaxed afterward.

If it's raining or snowing and motorcycle is not an option, I go read a book with the music on or take a walk. If I can afford it that week, I'll go traveling (which usually means reading a book with the music on or taking a walk, but in a different town).

If that didn't work, going and doing something silly like Chuck E Cheese or roller/ice skating or to the arcade can be fun and cheering.

If all else fails, there are always the emergency measures of sex and/or the liquor cabinet.

When none of the above work it's off to the doctor to get my thyroid levels checked, because if those won't fix it, the problem usually isn't mental.

Mostly it's just a matter of maintaining a mental balance and not letting myself get down & discouraged in the first place. The first post in the thread had the best suggestion of all.

Reply to this post

31. You have to have a sense of humor

You gotta laugh and you have to be able to pick your battles wisely.

Reply to this post

32. Changed my lifestyle from too much sedateness to diet, exercise, wellbeing

and not watching 90% of the political shows except for Al Sharpton

and also remembering that 10% of something is better than 100% of nothing
learning from past mistakes

and that it takes years and years to plant a seed and watch it grown into a Redwood

and not sweating the small stuff as Dr. Dyer once said. It all is.

and that old canard is really true

change that which I can
accept that which I can't
and wisdom to know the difference

strange how those old corny things actually are true

Going to Washington DC a few months for me, really put things in perspective.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 06:47 PM

33. Yes, all of the above and

A realization that we live in an Unreasonable Age that will eventually pass away just like all the others have in the past.
And once you realize that it's simply The Times in which we live that's at the root of all the mayhem and insanity, then you can go about your business. You can rest, knowing that there are others who are experiencing the same struggles just as there *have been* others in the past who made it through similar periods in history.
In other words, have confidence that it's not you but society that's fucked up.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 06:50 PM

34. I remember that, in the end, we're all going to die and I rely on myself for my own happiness.

Alcohol, too.

Reply to this post

Response to Brickbat (Reply #34)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 07:16 PM

36. Yes, alcohol helps.

I am 73 soon to be 74 in January and thankful to have lived this long. I just go with the flow. My Chihuahua helps relieve the stress of the world today.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 07:01 PM

35. You don't

First you admit that you are part of this collective insanity, so that healing can begin.

Second, step by step you start to heal and get better.

Third, you realize there is no end on the path of getting better and world is infinite wonder.

What do you do to keep yourself healthy, balanced and thriving?

Nothing much. Avoid stress and everything else unpleasant. Lately I've taken up practice of Yi Quan.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 07:18 PM

37. no one stays sane or well in an insane sick world. but the more money you have, the more

you can buy your way out of some of that world & create your own bubble.

so my advice is to get rich. side effect = making the world sicker.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 07:21 PM

38. Hibernation.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 07:35 PM

41. After listening to four generations of family and observing more friends and

acquaintances than I care to count I've concluded the biggest health problem Americans have is working too hard, too long, and accepting way too much stress as normal life.

Whatever it is and no matter how important it seems at the moment, ask yourself, "is this worth dying for?"

I stay limber, get a little exercise, spend a lot of time with animals, and appreciate the fact that I live much better than the richest, most powerful person on earth did a couple of hundred years ago.

One of the wisest things I've ever been told came from an old combat buddy. "I ate today, I have a dry place to sleep tonight, and nobody's shooting at me. It's been a good day".

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 07:38 PM

42. Glad you asked. I realized today I was getting unbalanced again.

Which came from allowing too much bad news into my head without balancing it with humor or good news.
I started watching The Daily Show and Colbert again, the perfect antidote to the crap I have no control over out there in the real world.
Laughter helps, a whole lot.

This world IS complex. It helps to simplify, to be choosy about what to read, what to see and hear, what to do. To be proactive in what you feed your brain and moods.
For me, toxic people and situations were the first to go, years ago.
Here is something terrifically funny, it made my day:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021912828

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 08:35 PM

44. I read a lot of fiction.

Authors like James Patterson, Stephen King, Ben Bova, Dean Koontz, Joyce Carol Oates, Danielle Steel, Nora Roberts, Greg Bear and many more.

I enjoy mysteries, thrillers, horror, science fiction and fantasy. Also some romances.

Besides reading I like my cat.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 08:42 PM

45. I meditate and make art jewelry

Meditation I find essential. Forging and constructing art jewelry is something I have complete control of and independence with. I just pick what I want to do and build it, most times folks like it and buy it. There are no memos or committee meetings.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 08:44 PM

46. Simple, really

Practically speaking, a life that is vowed to simplicity, appropriate boldness, good humor, gratitude, unstinting work and play, and lots of walking brings us close to the actual existing world and its wholeness.
-- Gary Snyder

When we realize that we really control very little in life, and embrace what remains as Gary does, then happiness is possible.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 08:49 PM

47. Developing a good sense of humor about it all, with a large dose of humility and cynicism.

Getting old helps with all three ingredients.

"Getting old ain't for sissies." Bette Davis

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 08:49 PM

48. CrossFit and yoga. Nt

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 08:51 PM

49. Family, yoga & meditation. N/t

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 09:58 PM

50. Hobbies and outside interests other than politics. nt

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 10:02 PM

51. I'm not sure I do

I may be suffering a severe psilocybin induced psychosis where I know the globe is being destroyed by the economic machine of civilization and its thirst for growth in a finite world.

But hey, I could be right. If so, try some substances that open your mind. Worked for me.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 10:03 PM

52. Do stuff with my niece and nephew.

Read, play computer games, talk to my friends and family, look at LOL-Cat pictures.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 10:04 PM

53. Transcendental Meditation and trying to keep a sense of calmness in ones mind ...

or so I try ...

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 10:07 PM

54. The same way I survived High School, I know I have a way out

In high school I knew it would all end someday and I could get the F*** out of that hell hole and go somewhere civilized and evolved.

In 2000, I knew I could move to Europe or anywhere I wanted to and my skills would be welcomed. I chose to stay and fight because I knew I had an out.

Even now, I know I can flee if I have to.

And, before the Global Warming really gets unbearable, I figure I'll be dead.

I always have a way out. It's a luxury not everyone has, I know. but it's how I cope.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 10:09 PM

57. Photography & DU's Photography Group

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 10:16 PM

58. Tune in, turn on, drop out.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 10:20 PM

60. I don't

And I don't worry about it anymore. I think wanting to be well and chastising myself (both consciously and unconsciously) for not being able to match the definition I had for wellness, or being fully functional, caused me to lose out on a lot of good years of life. I don't always eat well, sometimes indulge in bad habits, could probably use some counseling, should exercise more but I just don't focus on those things that are supposed to define wellness. I think I've come to a point where I feel that being a little messed up and accepting other people with all of their messiness has helped me to understand the world we living as being enriched by the chaos, the lack of balance, the flaws and the frustrations. I know people who seem to be stuck in a different sort of rat-race, hamsters on a never-ending wheel of self improvement. I can't relate to it and I can't see that they are actually any happier or better off. The one thing I try to do is to remain free of desire. I truly believe that even the most lofty of desires can eat away out our insides. I'm working on thinking less about both the past and the future as I think that can often lead to a lot of negative desire-driven thinking but mainly I just try to stay within myself and not let the obsessions of those around me impact my sense of self. I indulge in little things that give me pleasure, like fluffy Hallmark Channel movies and Regency-era novels based on Jane Austen books but mainly I think that NOT trying to be any particular thing has been more helpful than anything else.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 11:58 PM

62. I avoid foolish conspiracy theories...

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 12:08 AM

63. I walk, every morning in the forest

I live in the country. And I'm lucky to have unspoiled nature just seconds from my door.

I wander through rough paths and marvel at the gift of solitude and the sense that I'm connected to the real world around me.

It's sobering and inspiring at the same time. A chance to decompress before starting the day.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 01:20 AM

64. Wow, some great responses--DUers are so wise and creative...

I am sure that many are benefitting from what others have shared.

Like others--I try to eat healthy and avoid the foods that will definitely drag me down. Sugar is a big one. I am totally addicted to it, but it leaves me in an up/down depressive cycle. So, I try to walk, get sunlight every day and eat healthy.

Also, I am very big on alone time. I have to have time that is just down time where I am just hanging out and being quiet. It's how I recharge.

I like painting with acrylics as well, and spending time with my kids.

I also love going to the grocery store and buying healthy foods. It's like a new beginning.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 05:11 AM

65. to late

im as mad as a hatter.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 2, 2012, 05:21 AM

66. I exercise every day

I inform myself as much as possible and I separate facts from fiction.
One more thing I enjoy nature - sunrise, sunset, nature, plants, birds and animals. I also enjoy family and friends and laugh at myself.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread