HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Gun Showdown at Work
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 03:33 PM

Gun Showdown at Work

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by aikoaiko (a host of the General Discussion forum).

Gun legislation in some Southern states is forcing Republican lawmakers to choose between two core values of their party: the right of business owners to control what happens on their property and people's Second Amendment right to bear arms. Their dilemma is the result of bills pushed by the National Rifle Association that would let employees bring firearms—ranging from handguns, rifles and shotguns—to work and store them in their vehicles, even against an employer's wishes.

About 20 states have passed so-called parking-lot bills since 2004, including an expansion this year of a gun-rights law in Maine. But a split has started to materialize in GOP-controlled legislatures in some of the country's most gun-friendly states. Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee have refused to support such laws, proving receptive to a push by business groups in those states that have argued that the rules trample on their property rights. Businesses in other states have sought to oppose parking-lot bills by emphasizing the liability dangers that such legislation could create, but those efforts have been less successful.

(snip)

But amid Republican divisions on the issue, the NRA, one of the nation's most powerful and well-funded lobbying groups, is having to rely on pro-gun Democrats to carry some of the bills. Democrats in Alabama have already refiled bills for the legislative session that begins in February, and lawmakers are expected to do the same in Tennessee. Democrats carrying the bills say they believe gun rights should trump employers' property rights.

(snip)

In addition to forming an alliance with Democrats, the NRA is targeting one-time allies who refuse to back such laws. When Republican Debra Maggart, a staunch supporter of the gun group over her seven-year career in the Tennessee House of Representatives, decided with other members of her party to hold up a parking-lot bill introduced by Democratic Rep. Eddie Bass this year, she felt the consequences. The NRA spent tens of thousands of dollars on attack ads against Ms. Maggart, the only member of Republican leadership to face a primary challenge. One NRA flier declared: "Debra Maggart wants to shred your Second Amendment rights." Ms. Maggart said she opposed the bill because it encompassed properties such as day-care centers and colleges. "They singled me out to bully our caucus into voting for a poorly written piece of legislation." Ms. Maggart, a lifelong NRA member who owns a Remington shotgun, ultimately lost to the NRA-backed candidate by 971 votes in the primaries in August.

More..

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324595904578123640080351414.html

(copy and paste the title in google to open this)

8 replies, 1285 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to question everything (Original post)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 03:46 PM

1. Well

on the bright side, maybe armed employees would get better pay and benefits.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 03:58 PM

2. So Republicans are for private property rights except for when they aren't. Typical. nt

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 03:59 PM

3. Note to self: Check on how Kansas Democrats voted on this legislation. nt

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 04:07 PM

4. personally id just lock my rifle in my trunk and no one would know

Or just park offsite.

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 04:15 PM

5. Not quite.. my private property rights (my car) aren't trumped by my employer's property rights.

Just as I shouldn't have to disclose what religious tracts or political flyers I have in my car to my employer, they have no business asking whether or not I have a firearm in it.

Response to X_Digger (Reply #5)

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 04:39 PM

7. Several months ago, in Minnesapolis an employee was let go

problems with attendance, I think. He went to his car, pulled a gun, went back and killed six. Including the owner of that small business that provided jobs and was an active member of the community.

One has to wonder what would have happened had this employee had to go home to fetch his gun.

To paraphrase the NRA - flyers do not kill people; guns do.

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 04:17 PM

6. There doesn't seem to be any real hurricane in this pekoe distiller...

Funny, I wonder how many folks at DU even realize if their state has such a law or not. More likely they rolled over at the sound of: "This is as test. Had in been an actual emergency, you would have been instructed to...." and went back to sleep.

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 04:55 PM

8. Locking

This type of post is prohibited in GD based on the SOP. Consider reposting in GC&RKBA.

Go Dawgs!