HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Is this an example of ino...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 04:22 PM

Is this an example of inoffensive humor centered around rape/consent?

No, I am not purposely trying to stir up shit. After reading numerous rape-related threads over the last couple of days, and being mindful of what an emotional topic it is to have an extended conversation about, I became genuinely curious about DU's opinion of this Louis CK clip. It remains one of my favorite short bits by him.

Expert comedic timing, IMO. I crack up at 1:00 every time.

5 replies, 934 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Is this an example of inoffensive humor centered around rape/consent? (Original post)
Bicoastal Nov 2012 OP
hedgehog Nov 2012 #1
redqueen Nov 2012 #2
SidDithers Nov 2012 #3
slackmaster Nov 2012 #4
arely staircase Nov 2012 #5

Response to Bicoastal (Original post)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 04:27 PM

1. I think it is a spot-on commentary about how some people have very twisted thinking over this -

a lot stems from the attitudes that "nice girls" pretend not to like sex, which is related to the attitude that it's wrong to plan birth control because then you would have to admit to planning to have sex, so a lot of people get "swept away by the moment" and end up with unintended pregnancies!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 04:41 PM

2. Yes, I find that inoffensive... and sadly educational.

There are men who claim that the very existence of fucked up women like that provides an excuse for rapists.

Thanks for posting this. He stuck up for tosh after tosh pulled his jackass stunt... it is good to know he's not completely clueless about the issue... at least about the 'well some women like it so how's a guy supposed to know not to rape? maybe he was trying to make her fantasy come true!' bullshit.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 04:57 PM

3. I think there's more leeway with a standup comedian...

they're, generally, performing for a paying audience that knows what they're in for. Much of their observational humour is offensive with permission - if that makes any sense.

Jimmy Carr is another comedian that comes to mind, who has some of the most offensive material in his act. But the audience knows that the jokes are part of an act, and the performer doesn't hold those views, and isn't trying to promote them.

Louis CK is one of my absolute favourites.

Sid

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 05:02 PM

4. I find that very funny, and he's spot on

I think this clip from Blazing Saddles is pretty funny too...

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 05:17 PM

5. there is a much better louis ck "rape" routine, and of course the classic carlin

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread