HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Booming times in ND: Mena...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 09:09 AM

Booming times in ND: Menards to hire workers in WI fly them to work in ND

BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) Home improvement retailer Menard Inc. says it will hire workers from its home base in Wisconsin and fly them to North Dakota to staff a store in Minot, which is near the state's booming oil patch and has more jobs than takers.

The company said in a statement that it plans to hire 50 workers in Eau Claire, Wis., where it has its headquarters, and fly them weekly to Minot, which is also in the middle of an unprecedented building boom as it recovers from record flooding last year. Menard, which has more than 200 stores in the Upper Midwest, said this would be the first time it has flown employees to work weeklong stints, housing them in hotels, but that it "is going to be a permanent solution for as far as we can see."

Menard has offered a starting wage of $13 an hour at the Minot store, well above the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour, which prevails in Wisconsin. It's also the minimum wage in North Dakota, but most jobs there pay more. A listing for a pizza delivery driver in Minot was advertised Thursday at $15 to $20 per hour, plus a $250 signing bonus.

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/top?guid=20121130/d3a65040-6fc1-4306-9d9d-789322a8089e

6 replies, 823 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Booming times in ND: Menards to hire workers in WI fly them to work in ND (Original post)
WI_DEM Nov 2012 OP
exboyfil Nov 2012 #1
snappyturtle Nov 2012 #2
ParkieDem Nov 2012 #4
Myrina Nov 2012 #3
TwilightGardener Nov 2012 #5
Myrina Nov 2012 #6

Response to WI_DEM (Original post)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 09:14 AM

1. This is chepaer than paying a higher wage in Minot

and giving the individuals a signing bonus to move up there if necessary?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to exboyfil (Reply #1)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 09:57 AM

2. I took it that the shuttled employees would get the higher wage. The airport there

has had to expand to meet the oil field people coming in and out. Flights are outrageous to Minot in cost today. My brother lives there (40 years) and I have visited often. Jobs? Yes, there are many jobs but there's not nearly enough permanent housing. I only remember Menards. No Lowes or Home Depot so that's pretty sweet for Menards.

I'm a bit confused about Minot. Moved there in 2010....did get a job at a bank but had to leave to take care of my 94 yr. old mother in IN. I missed the flood but saw what it did last August while I visited. I look back on it and now realize I couldn't have afforded an apartment if there had been any available at the wage I was offerred. I couldn't have stayed indefinitely at my brother's so....it's a mess. High wages now but not enough housing there or out in the oil fields and meanwhile they're fracking the gorgeous landscape and complain about the wind turbines scarring the landscape. Won't allow Walgreens to build a store nor for Walmart to have a pharmacy. Try wiring money there.....takes half a day and a lot of paper work because their banks don't belong to the Federal Reserve! It's the only state like that. And, God help you if you do find housing....NO PETS ALLOWED. NONE. I guess there's still frontier life in the U.S.

Reply to this post

Response to exboyfil (Reply #1)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:50 AM

4. I don't know if it's cheaper or not

It's simply a question of getting enough employees. Try finding workers in North Dakota -- it's almost impossible.

And what's going on in Minot is nothing compared to what's going on over in Williston. Much more middle-of-nowhere, but you have McDonald's offering up to $17 an hour, with a signing bonus in most cases. And even if you could get people to move there, there wouldn't be any place to live. It is really an insane, boom-town mentality.

Reply to this post

Response to WI_DEM (Original post)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:02 AM

3. The Menards' family are STAUNCH Walker/Koch supporters

Most of their products are crap, too - the WalMart of home improvement.

Reply to this post

Response to Myrina (Reply #3)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:55 AM

5. While it's true that they're awful RWers, their products are no worse

than anything that Lowes or HD sells. We used their building materials all the time, and there was no problem with quality. In fact, they had the best selection and prices, IMO--and their garden center was OUTSTANDING.

Reply to this post

Response to TwilightGardener (Reply #5)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:47 PM

6. Maybe things have changed then

I worked at one for a few months in high school & ... well ... almost as much stuff got returned as went out the door in the first place.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread