HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » No Felony Charges against...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Jan 20, 2012, 02:41 AM

No Felony Charges against Occupy Protesters

The District Attorney's Office won't prosecute four Occupy protesters who San Diego police accused of felony conspiracy last week, according to office spokesman Steve Walker.

The decision to not file felony charges follows a week of public backlash over the arrests, including criticism from three high-profile candidates competing against District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis to become San Diego's next mayor.

Instead of filing felony charges, Walker said the cases will be forwarded to the City Attorney's Office for potential misdemeanor charges. The District Attorney's Office handles most cases involving felony crimes while the City Attorney's Office handles misdemeanors and lower-level offenses.

As of Thursday afternoon, City Attorney spokesman Jonathan Heller wasn't sure which charges, if any, would be filed against the four protesters for interrupting Mayor Jerry Sanders' final State of the City address Jan. 11.

http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/data-drive/article_5fe9f7b4-42f8-11e1-98b4-001871e3ce6c.html

And this is something that is good. Perhaps we are starting to see elite backlash as well, as in noticing that we are going a tad too far And in San Diego the response has been ridiculous.

10 replies, 1597 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply No Felony Charges against Occupy Protesters (Original post)
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2012 OP
joshcryer Jan 2012 #1
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2012 #2
joshcryer Jan 2012 #3
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2012 #4
joshcryer Jan 2012 #5
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2012 #6
joshcryer Jan 2012 #7
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2012 #8
sabrina 1 Jan 2012 #9
sinkingfeeling Jan 2012 #10

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Original post)

Fri Jan 20, 2012, 02:47 AM

1. Whew. I predicted this but it could've went the other way.

http://sync.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1002&pid=167004

I sincerely thought that it'd be thrown out (was = way in my subject line), but the respondent (in that thread) said there were a lot of con judges, and it left me with some bit of trepidation.

In the end, good for them. This was a totally BS and stupid ass call. The people responsible need to be put on leave and scrutinized, or voted out of office if they're elected officials.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to joshcryer (Reply #1)

Fri Jan 20, 2012, 02:50 AM

2. Sanders is termed out

and there is more to city politics, or should I say you scratch my back I scratch yours that I have learned in the last three months than I ever wanted to know.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #2)

Fri Jan 20, 2012, 03:01 AM

3. Wow, good, screw that guy!

That's awesome news (that Sanders is "termed out")!

I wish I read this first before, now it is clearer (PM).

I wish these guys (the original govt. officials signing off on the arrests) could be charged with some kind of unjust behavior thing. I don't know what it would be called, but the initial charges were completely out of line.

Reply to this post

Response to joshcryer (Reply #3)

Fri Jan 20, 2012, 03:06 AM

4. They are arresting people for putting a backpack

on the ground at the Plaza. Last count that I saw close to 200 arrests, and 31 actual charges.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #4)

Fri Jan 20, 2012, 03:07 AM

5. Despicable.

Let me guess.

Backpack is proof of some kind of "structure"?

Reply to this post

Response to joshcryer (Reply #5)

Fri Jan 20, 2012, 03:09 AM

6. Yup, Muni code 54.0110

it is called "encroachment."

Somehow I doubt this was the objective when it was put in the books in 2007 to replace another one deemed unconstitutional.

Go ahead, guess how many times I have written that thing into a story... to the point that I know remember it.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #6)

Fri Jan 20, 2012, 03:12 AM

7. Ridiculous.

I guess, 11 times.

Got to go. Keep up the fight.

Reply to this post

Response to joshcryer (Reply #7)

Fri Jan 20, 2012, 03:14 AM

8. Night

and for the record this is a very CONSERVATIVE city administration system. while the population is turning quite blue.

Reply to this post

Response to joshcryer (Reply #3)

Fri Jan 20, 2012, 03:28 AM

9. Abuse of power. Which is what it was.

Rahm Emanuel is also abusing his power regarding Occupiers and has managed to get a law passed the is a direct assault on the 1st Amendment. I hope it is appealed and goes all the way to the SC. Even THIS SC should find it abhorrent to charge people to exercise their Constitutional rights.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Original post)

Fri Jan 20, 2012, 10:26 AM

10. Good news.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread