HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » 2 Mesa students forced to...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:04 AM

2 Mesa students forced to hold hands as punishment for fighting

Two East Valley high school students were forced to hold hands in front of their classmates as punishment for fighting. Now that punishment is drawing criticism.

The students at Westwood High in Mesa were apparently given the option to hold hands instead of being suspended.

"Kids were laughing at them and calling them names asking, 'are you gay,'" said student Brittney Smyers, who saw the punishment play out at the school earlier this week.

"It was funny," said student Mickey Shull. "I've been in ROTC and it's no different than some of the stuff you have to do there. It works."

Most students at the school thought the punishment was better than getting suspended. They acknowledged it was humiliating but thought it would teach them a lesson.

A picture of the teenagers hiding their faces was posted to Facebook where several comments criticized the punishment saying it was inappropriate.

One person commented, saying it encourages bullying because the kids were targeted for taunting and name-calling.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/local/education/article_6f027272-3aa9-11e2-acc0-0019bb2963f4.html

5 replies, 817 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply 2 Mesa students forced to hold hands as punishment for fighting (Original post)
AlphaCentauri Nov 2012 OP
Sadiedog Nov 2012 #1
wake.up.america Nov 2012 #2
Mothdust Nov 2012 #3
Mothdust Nov 2012 #4
Spirochete Nov 2012 #5

Response to AlphaCentauri (Original post)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:07 AM

1. I agree this was not an appropriate punishment. nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Sadiedog (Reply #1)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:20 AM

2. I agree. Can't see what this accomplished. Perhaps an attempt at discussing their differences with a

mediator would have been more effective.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:25 AM

3. yup. they don't get it

The message is that the worst thing in the entire world is a boy holding hands with a boy. Irony, they do it all the time in the middle east : )

Reply to this post

Response to Mothdust (Reply #3)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:29 AM

4. males holding hands while strolling

That is, in the middle east they do that normally, not as punishment

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 01:49 AM

5. Seems to me that

that would more than likely turn into a power-squeeze contest, followed immediately by another flurry of punch exchanging.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread