HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » This is one big reason wh...

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 11:00 PM

This is one big reason why so many Muslims hate the US,

The US is one of nine nations voting against UN recognition of Palestinian statehood. The others were Israel, of course, and such world leaders as Micronesia and Nauru. Worse yet, the US gets its knickers in a twist, acting like Palestine was starting a war rather than pursuing a peaceful, diplomatic course.

To make matters worse, Clinton called the result of the vote "unfortunate and counterproductive", as though any Mideast diplomacy not going through the US is somehow illegit. Well, you know it's not like the US has been making any great breakthrough in the area in the past decade or so. What, you think that the Palestinian people should only do diplomacy through us?

I think that the biggest threat is that Palestine now has access to the ICC. I mean, it's not like they don't have plenty of cases to bring to the court against Israel or even the US.

Hell, the US is feeling so threatened that a bipartisan group of senators are calling for the closing of the Palestinian office in Washington unless the Palestinians agree to "meaningful negotiations". Umm, I think that the Palestinians just got done with meaningful negotiations. Oh, and closing the Palestinian office, never a good step for successful diplomacy.

Of course Netanyahu called the UN resolution "meaningless". Heaven forbid, Israel has to start acting like a responsible state.

I applaud this move, and hopefully progress and peace come to the region, be it through direct talks or through the auspices of the UN.

6 replies, 736 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply This is one big reason why so many Muslims hate the US, (Original post)
MadHound Nov 2012 OP
MadHound Nov 2012 #1
KoKo Nov 2012 #2
MadHound Nov 2012 #3
KoKo Nov 2012 #4
bvar22 Nov 2012 #5
Egalitarian Thug Nov 2012 #6

Response to MadHound (Original post)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 09:35 AM

1. kick n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 10:21 AM

2. Here's You Tube of Susan Rice's comments.....Sheesh...Not SOS material

IMHO...

#t=0s

Reply to this post

Response to KoKo (Reply #2)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 10:39 AM

3. She's bascially just saying what her boss Clinton told her to say,

That's where the blame lies with this one, with Clinton, who labeled this move forward as "unfortunate and counterproductive". Sorry, but any movement towards peace in the Mideast is a good thing. A shame this administration can't see this.

Reply to this post

Response to MadHound (Reply #3)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 10:50 AM

4. Maybe so....

but if she replaces Hillary...it will be more of the same rhetoric I think. From what I've read about Rice she's very hard line and is known for her cuss words and giving "the finger" to Holbrooke a few years ago.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:42 AM

5. THe US demands that the Palestinians pursue Peaceful, Meaningful negotiations,

and then use all their power in the UN to block them when they do.

Schizophrenic Foreign Policy?
I think so.

This...is what provokes attacks.

“Those who make peaceful change impossible, make violent change inevitable.”

Reply to this post

Response to bvar22 (Reply #5)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:41 PM

6. Peaceful, meaningful negotiations, are the last thing our government wants. n/t

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread