HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Yoko Ono Puts Lennon's Ar...

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 09:59 PM

Yoko Ono Puts Lennon's Art Up For Sale In Stamford (modifies some, adds color)

John Lennon was constantly drawing. "Even when lawyers were having special meetings and he had to be in there, he would be drawing," Yoko Ono said in a phone interview from New York. "Those meetings were very boring, and he would be doing these beautiful drawings."

In fact, he drew so much that Ono jokes about it. "He would make something he liked and say 'Hey, Yoko, look at this,' and I would say 'yeah, yeah'"

Ono, Lennon's widow and the official keeper of the Lennon flame, is the sponsor of an exhibit this weekend in Stamford, "So This is Christmas: The Artwork of John Lennon." The Lennon show will benefit Food Bank of Lower Fairfield County, which provides food to non-profit organizations in Darien, Greenwich, New Canaan, Norwalk, Stamford and Wilton. (It will not benefit from the sales of the works, but from the donations collected at the door. Admission is free, but a $2 donation is requested.)

The show will exhibit and sell about 100 artworks by the former Beatle. Or, more accurately, by Lennon, with some enhanced by Ono.

"John's drawings were black and white. The color you see in these serigraphs is what I put on," Ono said. "I know there has been controversy about that."

Ono, who has been criticized for altering the artworks, said that she enhanced some with color because she was trying to boost Lennon's stature as a visual artist.

"All of them were black and white, but the people I would go to sell it to said that with no color, they can't put it in the shop window," she said. "At the time, it was very difficult to get John's work in any gallery anywhere. ... So I decided to do it."

http://www.courant.com/entertainment/music/hc-john-lennon-1130-20121130,0,3105413.story

3 replies, 1037 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Yoko Ono Puts Lennon's Art Up For Sale In Stamford (modifies some, adds color) (Original post)
The Straight Story Nov 2012 OP
Journeyman Nov 2012 #1
The Straight Story Nov 2012 #2
DollarBillHines Nov 2012 #3

Response to The Straight Story (Original post)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 10:14 PM

1. Yes, who would buy something crude, without color? Why look at this drawing by van Gogh. . .

So few people wanted it, it had to be hidden away in a museum.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Journeyman (Reply #1)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 10:20 PM

2. Ya know, that is one from him I really like

Very simple and well done.

Reply to this post

Response to The Straight Story (Original post)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 10:32 PM

3. Oh, fuck her. "they can't put it in the shop window"...

Fuck you, Yoko

I spent a good bit of time around them, she was like a bad drug to him, cast in a spell.

I would post some pictures, but she would claim that they were hers.

Yoko is the definition of the "C" word.

Fuck her.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread