HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Wrote this in the "c...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 09:38 PM

Wrote this in the "comments" section of my local paper...trying to engage saner conservatives...

(...yeah, I know, but stay with me on this...)

It was in response to a guest column in which somebody argued that the Republiban would win easily in 2016 if only then nominated...wait for it...Sarah Palin...

Here's what I added in an attempt to engage the better nature of old-time conservatives, not the Palinite radical crazies:

What the GOP REALLY needs

Is a candidate who can articulate a positive, inclusive, hopeful conservative vision

It needs to be a vision that accepts that all U.S. citizens are "Real Americans"-whatever political views they hold, whatever economic views they hold, whatever ethnic and cultural traditions they preserve, whatever faith they hold or even if they believe solely in their compass on their own personal conscience.

It needs to encompass the kindest notions of tradition, home, and family, not the meanest and most spiteful ones.

If if is going to call on ordinary people to take up the work of social provision through voluntarism or charity, in order to make up for cuts in the social wage, a decent conservatism also needs to support higher wages for the vast majority of Americans. People cannot be expected to volunteer to help their fellow person if they are obliged to spend most of their waking hours just trying to earn enough money to survive. A voluntarist approach to social welfare requires a society in which people can support themselves and their family by working the standard pre-1980 work week of 40 hours, if at all possible.

If conservatism is going to demand that everyone spend most of their time in a conventional job, it needs to work to change the work culture so that workers are genuinely valued on all levels for their labor, have a real say in the direction of the work they do, and are treated with full human respect and dignity at all times. Referring to or treating anyone as "deadwood" is the best way to undermine the work ethic of a nation..

A decent conservatism needs to regulate spending and the size of government, while recognizing, at the same time, that there will always be social needs that can't be left at the mercy of "the invisible hand of the market".

It needs to recognize that, if it calls for the role of government to be limited at home, the role of our military should be limited abroad.

As it seeks to conserve what it sees as the best of American values, a renewed conservatism would also need to start supporting the environmental movement, because its not truly possible to conserve traditional values if the survivability of the world in which those values are to be conserved is not itself protected. Unregulated development is a radical choice, a disruptive choice, not a conservative choice at all.

It needs to accept the notion that, if power is to be devolved to state and local government, the size of those governmental bodies can't be cut WHILE the size of the federal government is also cut, because there needs to be the ability of those authorities, closer as they are to the needs and specifics of the jurisdictions they govern, to actually be ABLE to deal with the tasks they will have to take on as a federal role shrinks.

And it needs to accept, as true conservatives like Barry Goldwater did, that our personal lives(including the question of whom we are born to love and(if we wish, to marry and share our lives with) and what we choose to do with our bodies)are not meant to be controlled through legislation, as long as what we do in those lives harms no one else.

If this conservatism is to tie itself to a defense of "life", it should also tie itself to a defense of a decent quality of life for all, to be preserved by voluntary means rather than governmental means.

That is the role a positive, constructive, modernized conservative party would take on...as opposed to the role the current GOP chooses to play, that of a spiteful, sanctimonious, judgmental tightwad that refuses to help those in need yet still feels free to judge those people on the choices they have to make to survive.

Sarah Palin can never be the candidate to articulate the positive, inclusive vision outlined above, because her form of politics is driven solely by the emotional siblings of anger and fear, and by an unwillingness to accept that anyone different than her has any right to exist, in this country to say the least, and in this world if at all possible.

Truly, Repubilcans, you can do better than that. And you deserve better than that as a standard-bearer.

Just thought I'd put it up here to see what people thought of it.

5 replies, 581 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Wrote this in the "comments" section of my local paper...trying to engage saner conservatives... (Original post)
Ken Burch Nov 2012 OP
villager Nov 2012 #1
Ken Burch Nov 2012 #2
southernyankeebelle Nov 2012 #3
AC_Mem Nov 2012 #4
Sadiedog Nov 2012 #5

Response to Ken Burch (Original post)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 09:43 PM

1. have there been any counter-comments from the spiteful rightwing crazies.... yet?

well articulated, however, Mr. Burch!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to villager (Reply #1)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 09:44 PM

2. Think they're still reading it.

Might be a little while.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 09:45 PM

3. Wow you said it best. I wonder what kind of response you will get from a true

conservative and not the teabaggin republican.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 11:28 PM

4. Very well stated

I'm interested to hear the responses. Surely there are some sane conservatives out there!

There I go with that old "hoping" thing again

Annette

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 11:31 PM

5. Wonderful!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread