HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The coming irredentist cr...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 01:37 PM

The coming irredentist crisis.

IMHO This is a very important read that could impact your life directly:

The word “irredentism” doesn’t get a lot of play in the media just now, but my readers may wish to keep it in mind; there’s every reason to think they will hear it fairly often in the future. It’s the conviction, on the part of a group of people, that they ought to regain possession of some piece of real estate that their ancestors owned at some point in the past. It’s an understandably popular notion, and its only drawback is the awkward detail that every corner of the planet, with the exception of Antarctica and a few barren island chains here and there, is subject to more than one such claim. The corner of the Middle East currently occupied by the state of Israel has a remarkable number of irredentist claims on it, but there are parts of Europe and Asia that could match it readily—and of course it only takes one such claim on someone else’s territory to set serious trouble in motion.

It’s common enough for Americans, if they think of irredentism at all, to think of it as somebody else’s problem. Airily superior articles in the New York Times and the like talk about Argentina’s claim to the Falklands or Bolivia’s demand for its long-lost corridor to the sea, for example, as though nothing of the sort could possibly spill out of other countries to touch the lives of Americans. I can’t think of a better example of this country’s selective blindness to its own history, because the great-grandmother of irredentist crises is taking shape right here in North America, and there’s every reason to think it will blow sky-high in the not too distant future.

http://thearchdruidreport.blogspot.com/2012/11/on-border.html

16 replies, 1241 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Speck Tater (Original post)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 01:43 PM

1. I had to get a root canal re-done

The first guy did an awful job, and then abandoned his practice. I don't even think he was licensed.

My gum became infected, so I had to have another guy drill through the crown and re-do the root canal. It was both painful and expensive.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to jberryhill (Reply #1)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 02:03 PM

2. Huh? What does that have to do with border wars? nt

Reply to this post

Response to Speck Tater (Reply #2)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 10:07 PM

13. I went to an irredentist to fix what the first dentist had done.

Reply to this post

Response to jberryhill (Reply #13)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 10:55 PM

15. You cast your humor amongst us like so many pearls before dungheaps :) - n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 02:04 PM

3. When I was studying post-communist Eastern Europe, my professor would often talk about going to the

irredentist for a Czech-up.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 02:08 PM

4. Irredentist, your tooth problem was finally resolved, right? Seriously, though...

...many of us occupy lands once populated exclusively by Native Americans. The unspeakable horror associated with their removal and, in some instances, genocide continues to this day. Those facts don't need to be debated here.

But are we to return to our own ancestral lands? Mitochondrial DNA testing places me and my family in northwestern Europe, some 50,000 years ago. More recently (between 150 and 400 years ago), our biological ancestors immigrated to this continent from Friesia, England, and Scotland. Should we seek repatriation to those regions and return to Europe?

I would consider ceding my U.S. properties to their rightful holders, if either England or Scotland were willing to grant citizenship to me and my children.

Reply to this post

Response to Fridays Child (Reply #4)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 02:31 PM

5. Did you read the article? That's far from the issue it talk about. nt

Reply to this post

Response to Speck Tater (Reply #5)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 02:51 PM

6. Really. From the article, irredentism is "the conviction, on the part of a group of people...

...that they ought to regain possession of some piece of real estate that their ancestors owned at some point in the past."

If you want to exclude related discussion that doesn't interest you, why don't you start Speck Tater Undeground?

Reply to this post

Response to Fridays Child (Reply #6)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 02:57 PM

7. not only conviction

Americans could be Siouxed

Reply to this post

Response to Fridays Child (Reply #6)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 05:56 PM

12. Well alrighty then. nt.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 03:01 PM

8. As a citizen of Texas, I have to say...

Holy shit.

Reply to this post

Response to chalky (Reply #8)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 10:58 PM

16. Californian here (transplant from Scotland, via Ireland and James I, then

the New World up to and including Wisconsin).

Latinos now constitute 51% of the the population of Los Angeles County (although they are not yet 51% of registered voters). Methinks some payback for 1848 is rapidly approaching.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 03:05 PM

9. A really, really long article that fails to get to the point very quickly.

Can someone highlight for me what it is we're supposed to be fearful of?

Reply to this post

Response to randome (Reply #9)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 03:18 PM

10. DIY Cliff Notes.

I had an hour to kill, so I took one for the team.

As a foundation, know that Arnold Toynbee is a historian who has (I inferred) studied failed civilizations and has put “corresponding stages in the rise and fall of civilizations side by side, to see what common factors could be drawn from the comparison.”

Now that you know that, skip down to paragraph 14 and just read the first couple of sentences of each paragraph. That’ll give you the gist of where this is going.

Reply to this post

Response to chalky (Reply #10)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 03:23 PM

11. Mexico is going to take away Texas again? Okay.

I would also like to ask any of my readers who are incensed by the above to stop, take a deep breath, and pay attention to what is and is not being said here.

This guy presupposes some will be 'incensed' at him. I think boredom is a more likely reaction.

Reply to this post

Response to randome (Reply #11)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 10:49 PM

14. And New Mexico, and Arizona, and Nevada, and California. nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread