HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Gene Sperling privately a...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 09:43 AM

Gene Sperling privately assures House Ds that WH won't negotiate w/o GOP cave on tax rates

tweeted by, Greg Sargent ‏@ThePlumLineGS

ICYMI: Gene Sperling privately assures House Ds that WH won't negotiate w/o GOP cave on tax rates:

Sargent:

____ Iím told that White House economic adviser Gene Sperling privately met with many House Democrats today and told them that Obama and his advisers believe theyíre winning the tax fight. He told them that the White House sees raising revenues only by capping deductions as unacceptable, because it would hit the middle class. ďHe said that until we see Republicans come to the table when it comes to rates specifically, there isnít going to be any more discussions on the other issues,Ē a Democratic aide present tells me.

Now, itís true that that is roughly the White Houseís public position, too. But itís good to see White House advisers working behind the scenes to reassure Dems that they donít intend to buckle. And the Journal editorial will only add to the sense among Dems that the politics of this fight are shifting their way.

read: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/post/wall-street-journal-edit-board-to-anti-tax-brigade-time-to-face-reality/2012/11/28/0238ba50-3984-11e2-b01f-5f55b193f58f_blog.html Ö

3 replies, 423 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Gene Sperling privately assures House Ds that WH won't negotiate w/o GOP cave on tax rates (Original post)
bigtree Nov 2012 OP
LineNew Reply .
bigtree Nov 2012 #1
democrattotheend Nov 2012 #2
Scurrilous Nov 2012 #3

Response to bigtree (Original post)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 10:55 AM

1. .

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 11:08 AM

2. He seems to be holding the line on taxes. I hope the same is true for entitlement cuts

I want the top tax rate to go back up, but I also don't want to see entitlement benefits cut. I think there are entitlement reforms that they could agree to that don't involve benefit cuts or cuts in rates to providers, but I hope they stand as firm about not raising the retirement age or cutting benefits as they do on raising taxes for the top 2%.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 12:23 PM

3. Thanks!

K & R

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread