HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » How to read politicians' ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 03:39 AM

How to read politicians' statements about social security (Dean Baker)

Both Social Security and Medicare enjoy extremely high approval ratings across the political spectrum. There is almost nothing that unites the public as much as support for these programs. Well over 70 percent of Republicans, Democrats and Independents indicate strong support for Social Security and Medicare...

The question is how to make it so that popular sentiment overrides the big bucks of the corporate chieftains.... Members of Congress and candidates for seats should be pressed to indicate where they stand on the proposed cuts to these programs.

That means getting them to answer specific questions, like whether they support reducing the annual cost-of-living adjustment or raising the normal retirement age for Social Security or the age of eligibility for Medicare...

People should also be aware that politicians are true masters of evasion on these questions. A response like, "I support Social Security and Medicare," should be taken to mean that they are prepared to support cuts for these programs. All of the people running for office are smart enough to know how to say that they oppose the cuts being put on the table, and they undoubtedly would say that they oppose the cuts, if it is true.

Similarly, a statement like, "I oppose the privatization of Social Security and Medicare" should also be taken to mean that they are prepared to support cuts to these programs. Again, they are not being asked about privatization, it's not immediately on the table, why would they give an answer about privatization except to avoid admitting their support for cuts?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dean-baker/beating-back-the-ceo-atta_b_1748330.html

8 replies, 873 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply How to read politicians' statements about social security (Dean Baker) (Original post)
HiPointDem Nov 2012 OP
onethatcares Nov 2012 #1
marmar Nov 2012 #2
99Forever Nov 2012 #3
forestpath Nov 2012 #4
HiPointDem Nov 2012 #5
Poll_Blind Nov 2012 #6
AnotherMcIntosh Nov 2012 #7
Liberalynn Nov 2012 #8

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 06:48 AM

1. you're right

and it seems my elected reps have the gobbledegook answers down pat.

they would be Bill Nelson FL and Kathy Castor.

For some reason, my emails and phone calls don't amount to a hill of dollar bills.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 06:55 AM

2. k/r

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 07:37 AM

3. Weasel wording is why...

... NO politician that won't speak in specific up or down terms, should EVER be trusted. That goes for all parties.

Of course, a straight shooter is the exception in politics, which is hard to understand.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 08:49 AM

4. k&r exactly!

Reply to this post

Response to forestpath (Reply #4)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 02:48 PM

5. kick

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 02:51 PM

6. Durbin was absolutely using some of these weasel-words over the last few days.

The other one, and I've heard the President use this many times is "Strengthen (Medicare/aid/Social Security", where "strengthen" is actually cuts. Total bullshit.

PB

Reply to this post

Response to AnotherMcIntosh (Reply #7)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 05:32 PM

8. K&R

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread