HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » When you dial 800 do you ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 08:59 PM

When you dial 800 do you want to talk to somebody in the USA? Read this

http://www.cwa-union.org/issues/entry/c/call_center_bill#.ULa_Ze-z4-A

Support the Call Center Off-Shoring Bill

The United States Call Center Worker and Consumer Protection Act would protect US jobs and consumers by punishing companies that send our call center jobs abroad.

Support the bill: send a message to Congress

US Companies that only a few years ago pocketed millions in taxpayer dollars to establish local call centers, are now off-shoring these call center jobs; leaving those communities devastated once again with job losses and lost financial investments.

The United States Call Center Worker and Consumer Protection Act (H.R. 3596/S. 3402) would protect US consumers and helps level the playing field against companies that off-shore their call center operations overseas.

The Bill supports US workers and consumers in three ways, by:

Denying taxpayer cash to off-shorers: by creating a bad actor list that would stop companies that ship jobs abroad from getting Federal loans and grants and send them to the back of the line for government contracts.

Giving you the right to know: requires call center agents to tell you where they are talking to you from.

Giving you the right to transfer to a US operator: so that when you don't want a foreign call center, you have the right to be transferred to a US-based operator.

10 replies, 1593 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply When you dial 800 do you want to talk to somebody in the USA? Read this (Original post)
Omaha Steve Nov 2012 OP
BlueJazz Nov 2012 #1
patricia92243 Nov 2012 #2
hollysmom Nov 2012 #3
loli phabay Nov 2012 #4
Gormy Cuss Nov 2012 #5
Ruby the Liberal Nov 2012 #6
dixiegrrrrl Nov 2012 #9
Ruby the Liberal Nov 2012 #10
rosesaylavee Nov 2012 #7
RomneyLies Nov 2012 #8

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:10 PM

1. Aw Geez....Republicans will be screaming like hogs. "Too many Regulations..oh my God"

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:19 PM

2. Signed.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:19 PM

3. don't they also send these calls to prisons in the US?

I was pretty sure I was being told be careful with criminals getting personal information and your address. And credit card and social

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:20 PM

4. i agree on all the points but it dosent bother me personally when i talk to someone abroad

As long as i get the issue resolved i dont have any bias.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:23 PM

5. I want to support U.S. jobs but I really don't care where the call center employee is located if

person is competent. Companies should be encouraged to keep jobs here through tax incentives and disincentives.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:28 PM

6. I called my cellular provider with a billing question

on a Sunday, and got the tell tale signs - incredibly thick accent I can't understand (followed by my name is "Jerry") - and it taking 3 minutes to answer a single question because the answer was negatory.

Said someone was at the door, had to go, and called back on Monday and got someone in the US who got the issue resolved in minutes without all of the game playing about never being 'negative' in response.

Another fun one - call tech support and tell them right off the bat that you are an MSCE, you have already checked to see if the device is plugged in, and please don't insult me with that elementary checklist. I have gotten transferred back to US support as an "escalation" a few times with that one.

I know they are only trying to make a living, but culturally, it is beyond frustrating - on top of the US jobs that have been lost to save a few cents.

Reply to this post

Response to Ruby the Liberal (Reply #6)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 05:50 PM

9. and you know what?

If there is a law they have to have call centers in USA..
they will STILL be able to import foreign workers to staff them.

Just as Silicon Valley imported thousands of cheaper workers from India, by abusing the H1B visa status, and then forcing soon to be fired American workers to train the Indian workers.
I happened to be in that area back then, saw it first hand.

Reply to this post

Response to dixiegrrrrl (Reply #9)

Fri Nov 30, 2012, 10:04 PM

10. No kidding.

EDIT - WTF? What happened to the Cohen & Grigsby "how to scam H1B" video???

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:34 PM

7. Signed

Thanks for posting Omaha Steve!

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:35 PM

8. I support this 100%!

The last thing in the world I want when calling a call center is to speak to somebody from outside the US.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread