HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » About the woman who was &...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 02:30 PM

About the woman who was "too fat to fly." An apology.

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by REP (a host of the General Discussion forum).

I have been banned from that thread because I used a word that some did not like. We are talking about a story of a woman who was so big she was "too fat to fly," and according to her husband died as a result of not being able to return to America. "Too fat" - not my words, but the headline of the associated article. The word I used was not a swear word. It was a lifestyle-related word. It was a word that is the name of one of the so-called deadly sins.

Now, I am not a religious man, but I understand that these cardinal sins are generally part of Judeo-Christian values. Apparently, at least one of these words can no longer be used in the correct context, because somebody might get upset.

I see no difference to the deniers of this issue from the global warming deniers, and it was established long ago that obesity is a killer. The effects of over-eating have been known for thousands of years. It kills more Americans than all the shootings, murders and terrorism put together, but hey, some say let's never admit we have a problem. Let's blame other people and rely on medical intervention.

And if anyone dares to say that a woman who weighs 425 pounds has eaten to excess, let's shut them up because that deadly sin no longer exists, even though, as a nation, we are now the fattest. There is nothing in our DNA that makes us fat, and the slimline or toned ones prove that. It is in our culture. We can eat too much and if we feel uncomfortable, we can pop some pills. We can have blood pressure as a result of obesity - simple, take some pills. We can have our dialysis. We can have heart bypasses. We can die early. Yes, we can be a burden on our families, because nobody can say "we are being too greedy for our own good." Ban those who say that, like those who say we need to burn less fossil fuels. Somebody might get hurt by telling it as it is.

My mother was never overweight, but she had to wait and wait for treatment because there were obese people in front of the line with self-induced, lifestyle-related illnesses. It was too late for her. I have been guilty of this so-called sin myself. It was only when I faced the real horror of the damage I was doing to my body that I took action.

I am sorry to the people who took offense, but YOU are part of the problem. If a woman who weighs 425 pounds isn't this banned word, then, frankly, we may as well erase that word from the dictionary. I am sorry if you are offended by reality. I am sorry that this is where we are.

15 replies, 916 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Democratopia (Original post)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 02:33 PM

1. Doubling down! (not an apology)

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

2. What you fail to understand is that she had a disease which causes that

If you looked at the picture, it was clear she was bloated as a consequence of her renal condition.

I'll tell you want. Go drink water for three months and don't pee.

Come back and post a picture of what you look like.

You are so hung up about this that you fail, even when it has been pointed out to you MULTIPLE TIMES, that her size was a consequence of the disease in question.

SHE HAD A METABOLIC DISORDER - THAT'S WHY SHE DIED.

3. you are bitching about this in the wrong forum, this is all Meta worthy!

try it out, Meta can be your friend!

Meta! The place where the sun is always shining and roses bloom!

4. I can understand your point.

If someone smokes 2 packs of cigarettes a day for 40 years and then dies of lung cancer, are we not allowed to say that smoking killed them out of fear of hurting the feelings of smokers?

Response to richmwill (Reply #4)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 02:37 PM

7. Thank you for making that point. You understand the point I am making. Others want to attack me.

My post is to say I am sorry to those who are offended, but please at least try to understand what I am saying.

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 02:35 PM

5. You are totally ignorant as to why this woman weighed what she did

Are you not aware that the body can do weird things when it has problems. Oh well, as long as you can make your god damned point that is all that matters and fuck the fact that someone died.

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 02:36 PM

6. An apology?

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 02:37 PM

8. And I have some compliments to go with your "apology".

What you've said is idiotic and nothing close to an "apology". Stupidity is a far worse sin than overeating, and you've got stupidity in spades. So congratulations. Nice compliments, huh?

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 02:44 PM

10. That was not an apology.

That was a whine. It belongs in the Meta-discussion forum, not in GD, too.

11. To be clear, I am very sorry for the plight of this woman. My heart goes out to her husband.

12. Just so you know, "I'm sorry...BUT" is not an apology.

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 02:45 PM

13. Allow Me To Recommend You Some Proverbial Text, Sir

"Better to be silent and thought a fool then to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 02:47 PM

14. Locking

This does not fit the SoP for this Forum.