HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Romney Chief Strategist: ...

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 01:17 PM

Romney Chief Strategist: Mitt kinda won (The denial is strong)

Over the years, one of the more troubling characteristics of the Democratic Party and the left in general has been a shortage of loyalty and an abundance of self-loathing. It would be a shame if we Republicans took a narrow presidential loss as a signal that those are traits we should emulate.

I appreciate that Mitt Romney was never a favorite of D.C.ís Green Room crowd or, frankly, of many politicians. Thatís why, a year ago, so few of those people thought he would win the nomination. But that was indicative not of any failing of Mitt Romneyís but of how out of touch so many were in Washington and in the professional politician class. Nobody liked Romney except voters. What began in a small field in New Hampshire grew into a national movement. It wasnít our campaign, it was Mitt Romney. He bested the competition in debates, and though he was behind almost every candidate in the primary at one time or the other, he won the nomination and came very close to winning the presidency.

In doing so, he raised more money for the Republican Party than the Republican Party did. He trounced Barack Obama in debate. He defended the free-enterprise system and, more than any figure in recent history, drew attention to the moral case for free enterprise and conservative economics.

When much of what passes for a political intelligentsia these days predicted that the selection of Rep. Paul Ryan meant certain death on the third rail of Medicare and Social Security, Mitt Romney brought the fight to the Democrats and made the rational, persuasive case for entitlement reform that conservatives have so desperately needed. The nation listened, thought about it ó and on Election Day, Mitt Romney carried seniors by a wide margin. And itís safe to say that the entitlement discussion will never be the same.

On Nov. 6, Mitt Romney carried the majority of every economic group except those with less than $50,000 a year in household income. That means he carried the majority of middle-class voters. While John McCain lost white voters under 30 by 10 points, Romney won those voters by seven points, a 17-point shift. Obama received 41 / 2 million fewer voters in 2012 than 2008, and Romney got more votes than McCain.

<snip>

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/a-good-man-the-right-fight/2012/11/28/5338b27a-38e9-11e2-8a97-363b0f9a0ab3_story.html

16 replies, 1195 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 16 replies Author Time Post
Reply Romney Chief Strategist: Mitt kinda won (The denial is strong) (Original post)
cali Nov 2012 OP
NYtoBush-Drop Dead Nov 2012 #1
Speck Tater Nov 2012 #2
hollysmom Nov 2012 #3
Speck Tater Nov 2012 #4
hollysmom Nov 2012 #10
TwilightGardener Nov 2012 #5
winstars Nov 2012 #6
Arugula Latte Nov 2012 #7
yellowcanine Nov 2012 #8
yellowcanine Nov 2012 #9
dballance Nov 2012 #11
Panasonic Nov 2012 #14
CTyankee Nov 2012 #12
jmowreader Nov 2012 #13
Aerows Nov 2012 #15
maxrandb Nov 2012 #16

Response to cali (Original post)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 01:27 PM

1. You lost Stewart... here's why.

Women, youth, minorities. $hit- 75% of florida Cubans voted for the PResident. Other than your 1 percent, we didn't like what you were selling. Always remember and never forget - the American people HATE to be lied to.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2012/11/07/winners-and-losers-from-election-2012/

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 01:30 PM

2. The Repubs are self-destructing for one simple reason...

"On Nov. 6, Mitt Romney carried the majority of every economic group except those with less than $50,000 a year in household income."

The Repubs are hell bent on creating more of the very people who vote against them. The more people they drive out of the middle class and into the poverty level the more people there are who will vote against them. Their policies are enlarging the Democratic base.

Reply to this post

Response to Speck Tater (Reply #2)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 01:38 PM

3. I don't believe this claim.

Of those I know working (most of my friends are retired) they all make more than that and they almost all voted for Obama, brother's and 2 cousin's family, the exception.

Reply to this post

Response to hollysmom (Reply #3)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 01:45 PM

4. Which claim? Repubs are self-destructing? or who voted for Obama? nt

Reply to this post

Response to Speck Tater (Reply #4)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 03:46 PM

10. the "won every group but under 50K"

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 01:48 PM

5. LOL. Whatever they need to tell themselves is fine with me.

Hope the Mittloaf is enjoying his slide into obscurity and irrelevance.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 01:49 PM

6. Number 1. FUCK YOU STINKY STUART, YOU RAN A REAL SHITTY CAMPAIGN!!!

Number 2. In the words of Kenny Rogers, 'there will be time enough for counting when the dealings done.' Our President will probably receive about 3 million less votes than 2008, but will have gotten about four million (4,000,000) MORE THAN YOUR POS "CANDIDATE" DID. SO FUCK YOU!!!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AjYj9mXElO_QdHpla01oWE1jOFZRbnhJZkZpVFNKeVE

Ahhh yes, if only just the white boys voted in 'Merica still, your POS would have won but alas we let the darkies and the not so darkies vote nowadays. I now how that must suck but...

And to the Washington Post for giving him the ink, I am channeling Al Pacino at the end of "Scent of a Woman"

WELL FUCK YOU TOO!!!!

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 01:52 PM

7. If you ignore his massive failure, Mitt was a success!

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 02:13 PM

8. "he...came very close to winning the presidency." Okay.

I guess it depends on the meaning of "close"

332 to 206 EVs; down by over 3 million popular votes and 51% to 47%; Okay, maybe that is close in some universe but not in the presidential election universe.

Maybe if Romney is an asteroid passing by earth, it is "close".

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 02:21 PM

9. The SS/Medicare point is BS because Romney lost every age group under 40.

By a lot. And those are the age groups which would be most effected by changes. Romney made a point of saying that Seniors would NOT be effected by any changes.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 03:53 PM

11. What the hell is he smoking? Get me some.

I'm pretty sure that by the count now you lost the EC by far more than 320k votes.

"He trounced Obama in debate" Maybe in debate number one but for the second and third he LOST.

If he ever made an argument for "entitlement" reform that had details and substance I missed it an I was paying attention.

"Nobody liked Romney except voters." You could have just stopped at "Nobody liked Romney." Every swing state went for Obama. Romney racked up unfavorability ratings anywhere he appeared and spent one-on-one time with the voters. I suspect millions of people held their nose and voted for Romney because he wasn't Obama.

So is you implication that people making less than $50k a year are not worth courting as voters?

You lost. Get over it and go disappear.

Reply to this post

Response to dballance (Reply #11)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 05:07 PM

14. I must correct you.

"every swing state" went for Obama.

Except North Carolina

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 04:43 PM

12. who cares what this schmuck says?

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 04:45 PM

13. Why do I hear "I coulda been a contendah" over and over?

The only people who really liked Mitt Romney were Mormons, and the very rich.

What Romney and his camp fail to admit is they lost some very key Republican constituencies. Florida Cubans come to mind. Those folks are rock-ribbed Republicans because they love the GOP's position on communist Cuba. They are Republicans. Always have been. Always will be. In 2012, they broke 3-to-1 for Obama.

The first elephant in the room is that very few people voted for Mitt Romney. Lots of people voted against Obama and the only other electable choice was Romney. But "I am voting for Romney because he will be a good president"? Not that many - and not as many as who voted for Obama because he is a good president.

The second elephant in the room is Romney was the third term of Dubya Bush and the voters knew it. Romney has three things on his resume. He was the figurehead leader of the Salt Lake Olympics. He was the head of a corporate slaughterhouse that bought companies with low stock prices, killed them, cut them up and sold the pieces for $3.79 a pound. And he was a governor so inconsequential, the Mass General Court ran the commonwealth around him by overturning his hundreds of vetos. I think the game plan was to keep the House, take back the Senate, get rid of the filibuster and install a rubber stamp in the White House. Norquist admitted as much when he said he just needed someone to sign the bills he wrote. We already had eight years of governance by lobbyist and warmonger, and we're still trying to fix the disasters it caused.

Elephant three: who the hell is Mitt Romney? They touted his business background but Romney is to corporate America what a guy who dynamites old warehouses is to the building trade. They touted his leadership of the Olympics without ever once describing why he was there. The Romney Camp's official description is the Olympics were going broke. The truth is we almost lost the Games because SLOOC bribed the IOC to get the games (because Salt Lake City is in the middle of East Bum Fuck they almost had to) and keeping them required we flush the crooks out of there right now. But portraying Romney as an honest man would have backfired so they gave us this lie. And they touted his governorship...IIRC the state he governed gave him his worst shellacking.

We had more people vote for Obama than against Romney. They had more people vote against Obama than for Romney. No one ever won an election from protest voters. That, in the end, is why Romney lost.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 05:16 PM

15. Our nation truly dodge a bullet

by not electing that delusional scumbag. May he fade from into irrelevance sooner rather than later.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 05:18 PM

16. Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play? n/t

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread