HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The Shocking Details of a...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 06:46 AM

The Shocking Details of a Mississippi School-to-Prison Pipeline

http://www.alternet.org/education/shocking-details-mississippi-school-prison-pipeline

Cedrico Green canít exactly remember how many times he went back and forth to juvenile. When asked to venture a guess he says, ďMaybe 30.Ē He was put on probation by a youth court judge for getting into a fight when he was in eighth grade. Thereafter, any of Greenís school-based infractions, from being a few minutes late for class to breaking the school dress code by wearing the wrong color socks, counted as violations of his probation and led to his immediate suspension and incarceration in the local juvenile detention center.

But Green wasnít alone. A bracing Department of Justice lawsuit filed last month against Meridian, Miss., where Green lives and is set to graduate from high school this coming year, argues that the cityís juvenile justice system has operated a school to prison pipeline that shoves students out of school and into the criminal justice system, and violates young peopleís due process rights along the way.

In Meridian, when schools want to discipline children, they do much more than just send them to the principalís office. They call the police, who show up to arrest children who are as young as 10 years old. Arrests, the Department of Justice says, happen automatically, regardless of whether the police officer knows exactly what kind of offense the child has committed or whether that offense is even worthy of an arrest. The police departmentís policy is to arrest all children referred to the agency.

Once those children are in the juvenile justice system, they are denied basic constitutional rights. They are handcuffed and incarcerated for days without any hearing and subsequently warehoused without understanding their alleged probation violations.

43 replies, 3526 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 43 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Shocking Details of a Mississippi School-to-Prison Pipeline (Original post)
xchrom Nov 2012 OP
malaise Nov 2012 #1
xchrom Nov 2012 #2
BlueJazz Nov 2012 #3
xchrom Nov 2012 #4
rbixby Nov 2012 #32
vlyons Nov 2012 #35
Skidmore Nov 2012 #5
The Doctor. Nov 2012 #6
maindawg Nov 2012 #7
leftlibdem420 Nov 2012 #17
NWmomma Nov 2012 #36
kooljerk666 Nov 2012 #8
d_r Nov 2012 #9
woo me with science Nov 2012 #10
woo me with science Nov 2012 #11
xchrom Nov 2012 #12
loudsue Nov 2012 #39
marmar Nov 2012 #13
gollygee Nov 2012 #14
NYtoBush-Drop Dead Nov 2012 #15
dterrell Nov 2012 #16
gollygee Nov 2012 #19
CanSocDem Nov 2012 #22
Estevan Nov 2012 #18
AnnaLee Nov 2012 #27
loudsue Nov 2012 #40
ProfessionalLeftist Nov 2012 #20
MindPilot Nov 2012 #21
gollygee Nov 2012 #30
loudsue Nov 2012 #41
MindPilot Nov 2012 #42
jeaps Nov 2012 #23
JackInGreen Nov 2012 #24
Romulox Nov 2012 #25
think Nov 2012 #26
groovedaddy Nov 2012 #28
mountain grammy Nov 2012 #29
nolabear Nov 2012 #31
Tsiyu Nov 2012 #33
Capt. Obvious Nov 2012 #34
BlueMan Votes Nov 2012 #37
loudsue Nov 2012 #38
dennisbaker Dec 2012 #43

Response to xchrom (Original post)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 07:39 AM

1. Private prisons need feeder systems

Don't yah know!!!!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to malaise (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 07:47 AM

2. +1

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 07:49 AM

3. Ridiculous...What the hell is next ? Take them behind the school an shoot 'um ?

Who came up with this bullshit?

Reply to this post

Response to BlueJazz (Reply #3)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 07:53 AM

4. if they shoot them -- the prisons can't collect your tax dollars. nt

Reply to this post

Response to xchrom (Reply #4)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:11 AM

32. I think they're also looking for a compliant labor pool

start 'em young in the prison shops and they'll be skilled low-wage workers by the time they're old enough to go to real prison.

Reply to this post

Response to BlueJazz (Reply #3)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:29 AM

35. No, put them out in the field

chopping weeds, picking strawberries, and picking cotton. Plus the private prison gets rich, and farmers get extra extra cheap labor.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 07:54 AM

5. The communities in Mississippi which allow their schools to use law enforcement as displinarians

are just as much at fault. This is an indictment of the entire system, from the parents to the school boards to the courts and the police and prison system.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 07:57 AM

6. Mississppi would secede

to become a true 3rd world country.

Thank The Divine we still have enough bright people there to fight the tide. I do not envy them that burden.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 07:58 AM

7. watch this video

The Angola prison in Mississippi. Where prison is a way of life. In Mississppi, you step out of line, you go away and you dont come back.
In America, prison is an industry. Ohio, is the only state that even pretends that prison is about rehabilitation.
Dont forget the PA judge who was stocking the juvenile prison while lining hos pockets. Its about the money.
But in the south, its more about authority and who has it.

Reply to this post

Response to maindawg (Reply #7)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:18 AM

17. One of the two reasons I support the death penalty

1. as a punishment for supporting prison privatisation

2. As a punishment for stealing an election.

Reply to this post

Response to maindawg (Reply #7)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:40 AM

36. Louisiana

your point is well made, but Angola Prison is in Louisiana, not Mississippi.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 08:24 AM

8. Are these kids going to a "Private For Profit prison"??

We had 2 judges in PA getting kickbacks from a for profit Juv. Detention Facility.

They, after ruining the lives of thousands , eventually got 28 years.

The "Kids for cash" scandal unfolded in 2008 over judicial kickbacks at the Luzerne County Court of Common Pleas in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. Two judges, President Judge Mark Ciavarella and Senior Judge Michael Conahan, were accused of accepting money from Robert Mericle, builder of two private, for-profit juvenile facilities, in return for contracting with the facilities and imposing harsh sentences on juveniles brought before their courts to increase the number of inmates in the detention centers.

For example, Ciavarella sentenced children to extended stays in juvenile detention for offenses as minimal as mocking a principal on Myspace, trespassing in a vacant building, and shoplifting DVDs from Wal-mart. Ciavarella and Conahan pleaded guilty on February 13, 2009, pursuant to a plea agreement, to federal charges of honest services fraud and conspiracy to defraud the United States (failing to report income to the Internal Revenue Service, known as tax evasion) in connection with receiving $2.6 million in payments from managers at PA Child Care in Pittston Township and its sister company Western PA Child Care in Butler County. The plea agreement was later voided by a federal judge, who was dissatisfied with the post-plea conduct of the defendants, and the two judges charged subsequently withdrew their guilty pleas, raising the possibility of a criminal trial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/2/22/judge_convicted_in_pennsylvania_kids_for

For profit prisons lead to more crime.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 08:38 AM

9. This is so out of control

I can remember when I was in school in the 80s that there were county police officers that were like truant officers and if somebody did something really criminal then they would get sent to juvi, but that was unheard of for "run of the mill" school-based sorts of problems. I know that we have to protect safety of children from things like bullying, assault, and so on, but this has gotten so out of control. We've got to get some common sense and compassion back in to the juv. just. system.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 08:45 AM

11. This is our future if we continue to enable corporate takeover

of our parties, our elections, and our government. We will see more and more pipelines from public to private, because humans no longer matter except as sources of profit in a corporate state.

Have we had enough yet, America?

Reply to this post

Response to woo me with science (Reply #11)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 08:47 AM

12. +1

Reply to this post

Response to woo me with science (Reply #11)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 01:50 PM

39. I'm w/ you, woo. And elections is the place to start.

Money in elections is where the corruption begins with every politician.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 08:47 AM

13. ........

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 08:54 AM

14. I don't even know how to reply to stuff like this

It's just so outside the bounds of OK or reasonable. How did anyone think this was an acceptable thing to do? I hope people are going to go to jail over this - and I'm talking about adults this time.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 08:56 AM

15. STOP MY BLUE TAX DOLLARS

From going to these repugnant RED WELFARE STATES!

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:17 AM

16. School Reform

As a former public school teacher, I'll be the first to admit the system needs to be reformed. As shocking as this obvious abuse of authority is, I have to ask, "Where were this child's parents, or guardians when this was happening?"

Reply to this post

Response to dterrell (Reply #16)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:29 AM

19. What would they do?

Call the police?

Someone contacted the DOJ and prompted the investigation. Maybe it was a parent. But if the polcie are doing it, parents don't have the power to just stop it from happening.

Reply to this post

Response to dterrell (Reply #16)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:33 AM

22. And I have to ask...

...where were the 'teachers' who started this with their zero tolerance of minor behaviour issues?

I have always hoped that the 'school' could provide a sanctuary away from the society, where serious thought could be applied to making it work.

That said, welcome to DU.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:22 AM

18. mississippi is a fucking sewer!

Reply to this post

Response to Estevan (Reply #18)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:48 AM

27. This appears to be Louisiana. nm.

Reply to this post

Response to AnnaLee (Reply #27)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 01:56 PM

40. The original article is about Mississippi. n/t

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:32 AM

20. Or: "Why schools and prisons should NOT be for-profit entities" n/t

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:32 AM

21. Prisons are guaranteed a 93% fulfillment rate

The contracts the government has with the prison system promise that the government will keep the prisons at least 93% full. (the number varies with the particular contract but it is always in the nineties) If they don't, the government is obligated to pay huge penalties to the company.

Your government is contractually obligated to a half-dozen corporations to incarcerate a minimum number of its citizens. That is what this comes down to. Yet our "representatives" turn a blind eye.

Reply to this post

Response to MindPilot (Reply #21)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:04 AM

30. This is what radical free-market capitalism gets you

All they're doing is trying to turn a profit! Right?

Reply to this post

Response to MindPilot (Reply #21)

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 01:58 PM

41. Are you sure of this?? That is an abomination!

I'm just sitting here shaking my head in disbelief at your post. Are you sure of this?

Reply to this post

Response to loudsue (Reply #41)

Thu Nov 29, 2012, 09:28 AM

42. Absolutely without a shadow of a doubt

Trying to not reveal too much so let's just say I am in a position to be very close to this.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:34 AM

23. It's as bad in TX

our school districts have their own police departments.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:37 AM

24. And people wonder

why I see badges and sometimes think 'Target'.
These cops, school administrators, the judges and their staff should be burned alive in public as an object lesson to anyone else that would abuse children like this for profit or convenience.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:39 AM

25. We tried to warn you that the for-profit prisons would look for new "customers"...

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:43 AM

26. Pure Evil. When will the lamestream media shine a light on this? /nt

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:48 AM

28. Rise of the police state. Here it is. n/t

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:02 AM

29. Sounds like your average Republican state!

Republican Educated Dimwits, RED states! I'm sure the private prison industry was ecstatic at the prospect of a Rmoney presidency. 47% of Americans behind bars.. ah the profits!

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:07 AM

31. This is an old story. Juvie in MS is like the boogieman. We kids were threatened with it

even back in the 60's and early 70s when I was in school there. Parents used it as a threat, as perhaps parents who'll do that kind of thing do everywhere, but the police at the time were happy to cooperate with at least terrorizing us. And since recreational drugs had recently come on the scene, EVERYthing was suddenly about drugs. An old boyfriend of mine passed out in the parking lot (turns out he was diabetic) and did they call an ambulance? Nope. Called the cops, who came and threatened him with jail for being "high".

My father, whose idea of parenting was all stick and no carrot, used to threaten me with a particular juvenile facility (trust me, I did nothing illegal at the time, I think he just suspected I was having sex, which I was) that was later the subject of a horrific expose on, I think, 60 Minutes. Imagine my excitement when I found that the head of the place was my old HS principal. I wasn't surprised but I did have the sense that I had dodged a bullet in a very big way.

Btw I've looked for archive of that special but it doesn't seem to be available. I'd love to know what it said after all these years.

Parents...not just in MS but all over, they can be shockingly neglectful of their kids' social and emotional development, and then when the kids are big enough to attract attention they give up on them very quickly and then this kind of thing kicks in. If I had one wish it would be for today's generation to be emotionally nurtured and educated from the youngest ages by a caring and patient system, so that they can overcome the deficits their damaged parents have. Not removed, not blamed, none of that. Just help and hope rather than blame and punishment.

Some of us from Mississippi are like that. Just in case y'all want to know.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:22 AM

33. This is going on in many places

but Meridian is in the spotlight now and I'm glad the DOJ is shining a light on this evil.

The fact is, when a nation begins viewing its children as commodities to be traded through the courts and the juvies and the prisons, that nation is absolutely CURSED. THERE IS NO HOPE FOR THAT NATION.

We are destroying our future with these greedy, scum-sucking for-profit prisons, and school systems like Meridian just think that is AWESOME. WHY??????

I just want to know what makes an adult think that destroying children's lives is a great way to make a buck. THAT adult should be in prison, not the children he or she makes suffer.

I say a curse on anyone who profits or allows this system.

May you reap what you sow.....

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:26 AM

34. I'm curious if the prison is a private prison?

You could rake in a lot more money with a steady stream of tardy students.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:45 AM

37. c'mon people- some of these kids wear the wrong color socks...

we can't have them mixing with decent people in a decent proper color sock society.

it would be anarchy.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 28, 2012, 01:44 PM

38. This is the ugly underbelly of the south that is still operating today.

As a southerner, it makes me ill. The authoritarianism that is allowed under the Southern Baptist Republican Church in the name of "doing what's best" is behind the adoration of faux news here. The corporate donors are funding the Southern Baptist Republican Church seminaries, and their political agenda is being pushed strongly by the church.

Are there very wonderful, kind, nurturing, smart people in the south? Yes. Do the governments reflect that by "majority vote"? No. They reflect self-righteous authoritarianism.

And the teabaggers have taken over north carolina.

On edit: That last statement about N.C. prolly didn't make sense except in my pea brain. What I was thinking is how it is being done piecemeal to spread this kind of authoritarianism, state by state. NC hadn't had a republican majority in the legislature for 100 years until 2010. The corporate/republican money began pouring in during the bush years. Now, we are moving very quickly toward the Mississippi/Louisiana/Georgia/Texas model of returning to slavery. As in the OP here, these kids will become slaves in the corporate prison system. My God son was in a privatized prison, and they didn't have enough to EAT. They had to spend their money (sent to them by relatives) to buy junk food snacks in the "commissary"-type thing because they were hungry. They almost never got any vegetables, and little fruit.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 1, 2012, 11:26 AM

43. the genie is out of the bottle

This is how the criminal justice system works at all levels, to ensure sustainable growth of the prisoner population!
You see even if your found innocent of the original criminal accusations (charges) you will still be convicted and imprisoned for violations of bail conditions.
Bail conditions are specifically tailored to ensure at least one violation, which results in the accused be imprisoned and being in a position where guilty pleas are required to be released .

private prisons require bodies to make a profit .

Dennis Baker
dennisbaker2003@hotmail.com

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread