HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Sticks and stones
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 04:10 PM

Sticks and stones

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by aikoaiko (a host of the General Discussion forum).

may break my bones
but words will never hurt me.

This childhood idiom stuck with me. You can call me anything (but late for dinner) and I won't let it get to me.

I don't expect any latitude however in my using words that have emotional purchase on others. I will try my best to never call anyone an idiot, a moron, imbecile, cretin or doo-doo head. Much less terms that are race or sexually orientated in a derogatory fashion. I do reserve the right to occasionally resort to using the phrase "shithead."

Call me whatever you want and I will not report you, alert on you or whatever. I might think you are really creative or I might think you really do know my family heritage.

But there are some here who's are feelings are easily damaged. Respect them and if you want to toss stones or insults, throw those my way as I do have a thicker skin.

So have at it! Here I am, give it your best shot.

2 replies, 392 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Sticks and stones (Original post)
Whovian Nov 2012 OP
Lionessa Nov 2012 #1
aikoaiko Nov 2012 #2

Response to Whovian (Original post)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 04:19 PM

1. Here Here!

I choose to not call names because it's juvenile and imagine myself a mature adult. That also means I'm mature enough to recognize that those that feel the need remain immature have their temper tantrums, so long as it stays verbal. And particularly in a forum, how else would it be expressed?

I do curse, but I don't name call. I do remark as to characteristics, but not the person. For example, that's a stupid thing to say, rather than, you're stupid. I've learned (again that maturity thing) that those that say stupid things on topic X might be quite wise on topic Y. Therefore, in order to not lose face some day, I try to be very specific in my comments that way.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Whovian (Original post)

Tue Nov 27, 2012, 05:15 PM

2. Locking.

Your OP is more appropriate for Meta or maybe even The Lounge, but mostly it is outside the SOP for GD.

Statement of Purpose
Discuss politics, issues, and current events. No posts about Israel/Palestine, religion, guns, showbiz, or sports unless there is really big news. No conspiracy theories. No whining about DU.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink